Everton 1-3 West Ham Utd (16/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread (16/9)

Post by Aceface »

I think there's a grain of truth to the big-flight ennui argument. But I think the more accurate framing is that every season since time immemorial there will be half a dozen teams who have a good time, while for the rest it's a drudge. But those teams aren't fixed in place and rotate more than you'd probably think.

It goes without saying that Liverpool fans currently will be loving life. And City of course have been in clover for years now. But Wolves, Fulham and Watford fans probably don't currently have much truck with the argument that it's all a load of tosh. Burnley probably do – but wouldn't have said so 2 months ago. Leicester and ourselves shared a banner year a few seasons back but would now probably happily burn down the gaff.

Essentially most of the time it's a tedious slog, except for the rare times when it's not. And that's why you keep going.

Maybe a parable for life itself...
Ribbot
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ribbot »

The team played with a bit of passion and determination for the full game rather than just half of it. Ecstatic to have the points but cynical about the squads mentality over a full 90 minutes, they all seriously need to pull their socks up and give this type of display every week not just once every 5 games.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

e17 wrote: Think it's probably stronger for clubs like ours, Everton, Southampton or Newcastle than it is for clubs coming up or someone like Bournemouth.

But I am definitely in the group who have literally no interest in any of Premiership result or match other than ours, haven't watched MotD except when we've won in about 4 years, and found the World Cup like a breath of fresh air because it didn't feel like a financial procession.

No doubt the overseas audience and increasing monopolisation of the top flight by the likes of Citeh means the "bubble" wont burst anytime soon. But it will eventually.

12 of the 20 teams in the division basically have nothing to play for.
My sentiments entirely e17.
I think the one of the key elements lost to modern "premier league" football, is the real availability of tickets to groups of 16-24 age fans who can afford to all go at a time that suits them without having to arrange all the tickets and seats the together. Before the TV corporations got their teeth into things, you pretty much knew that at 3pm on a Saturday, every other weekend ,you could see a home game. And with that knowledge you could arrange your lives around that "fixture" !
With that regularity now gone, the spontaneity for a group of lads to just to decide " fancy going this weekend" is out of the window. A fair chunk of the youth element that attend are having to tag along with older adults. Which whilst all very nice, isn't going to be as much of a laugh than with a group of your mates.
So effectively grounds are highly stocked with middle aged men and families all sat abiding all the rules and paying all the money that the clubs demand. It doesn't sound much fun does it ?
West Ham has never been about winning Championships, yet the enthusiasm was always there, unfortunately now it's been strangled !
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

sendô wrote:An Everton OV is always a delicious read after a win. They really think their club should be on a par with the likes of Man Utd.
Part of the axis of entitlement that runs north to south though Newcastle, Everton, Aston Villa and Tottenham.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

"West Ham were absolutely there for the taking today, their defence somehow looks even worse can ours. There were a couple of times where any competent pass would have left the goal utterly at our mercy. "

That's from the OV section.
Am not sure our defence is actually worse then theirs but it's a pretty close call.

If yesterday is anything to go by, both teams will leak goals by the bucket load this season.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4379 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I was on route during the game yesterday so have only just seen the full game.

As far as I could see the major difference between this game and the previous two was the quality of our finishing. We looked a bit more competitive in the midfield as well.

Everton had what looked like a similar number of golden chances to score as our previous opponents, matching Wolves' one taken. Oddly, their goal was nowhere near the best chance but was a fine header.

We however took almost every chance we had. Super clinical. Yarmy was the full Payet yesterday - sublime in possession, bloody dreadful without it.

Both Tosun's first half chances came from Yarmy being asked to do something deep in our half.

Thought we'd win beforehand, and if Arnie's up to it, I reckon we'll take a point or three next week as well.

What do you call two one-twos in a row from the same pair of players? What do you call two sets of two one-twos's in a row from the same pair of players? Obiang and Arnie did it and it looked like some kind of computer game football for the first and third.

As for Everton - how much have they spent on Tosun and Pickford? Shockers.

Couple of nicely worked free kicks from ours too. Looks like some thought had gone into them.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

mushy wrote:"West Ham were absolutely there for the taking today, their defence somehow looks even worse can ours. There were a couple of times where any competent pass would have left the goal utterly at our mercy. "

That's from the OV section.
Am not sure our defence is actually worse then theirs but it's a pretty close call.

If yesterday is anything to go by, both teams will leak goals by the bucket load this season.
If we continue to defend as we did for the Everton goal (and against Liverpool consistently) we will struggle. Unchallenged winger having time to guide a cross in to unmarked (or at best vaguely marked) strikers. We have to do better than that. On the positive side that can be coached. Although you would have though full-backs and centre-backs at this level might appreciate it is within their core job descriptions.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Bloody hell. Not sure how anyone with functioning eyes can say that our defence is worse than theirs. Holgate and Zouma were in different postcodes for most of the game. Other than our goal (which I blame on Masuaku, incidentally) I thought we defended reasonably well. Certainly better than we have recently. And I'm not just talking about the back four, of course.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

e17 wrote:12 of the 20 teams in the division basically have nothing to play for.
Trouble is e-17, realistically speaking 12 of 20 teams are basically playing to avoid relegation...

:x
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Just watched the highlights again. Great to see Arthur giving his shirt away. Also love what it meant to Zab - easy to see why City fans adored him so much. He’s fast becoming one of my favourites, seems like the total pro both on and off the pitch
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Just back in town.

I love Liverpool and had another fine time. Cadged a bit of work up there to help pay for it all.

Knew we wouldn’t lose and really pleased MP did not twist other than playing 3 CM and giving the front 3 a free role. There were quite a few of us calling for this formation.

Some real positives - the goalie, CHs, the protective shield and the constant probing up front. Need to settle the FB positions though.

Had a good singsong, beer and company. Nothing else really matters.

Crisis, what crisis? I’m enjoying the football.
ballantine
Has liked: 1310 likes
Total likes: 234 likes

Post by ballantine »

the pink palermo wrote:No club will ever win anything unless they try. Whenever I see a poster on here suggest a weakened side for a cup tie a little of me just dies, if supporters don't want to win something the game really is lost.

I'll be at the game against Macclesfield Town and I'm hoping to see our first XI against theirs.
Drifting off a bit, but, whilevI wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, I always suggest a "weakened side" in the early cup rounds against lower league opposition. Not the "nine kids and Matt Jarvis" kind of weakened, but I do would always suggest we give a couple of youngsters a go and throw in some fringe players to let them show what they can do. We should still go through as long as we take the games seriously. What really gets to me is when we play a "strong team" and they are all strolling around saving themselves for the 22nd round of the PL next Sunday.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

wildkard wrote:Bloody hell. Not sure how anyone with functioning eyes can say that our defence is worse than theirs. Holgate and Zouma were in different postcodes for most of the game. Other than our goal (which I blame on Masuaku, incidentally) I thought we defended reasonably well. Certainly better than we have recently. And I'm not just talking about the back four, of course.
How many chances did a.woefully poor Everton side.create?/
More then both of.our opponents at home, and not that many fewer then their Mersey neighbours.
If what you mean by defending well is that fact that our goalkeeper was possibly man of the match then yes we defended well,or he defended well I should say.
I will give you it that we looked a bit more solid in midfield,and so defensively we were better off then of late but that's about it.
How also do you blame Arthur for a goal where the scorer was given a virtually free header in the box?
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Trouble is e-17, realistically speaking 12 of 20 teams are basically playing to avoid relegation...

:x
100% spot on mate.

We’re in a group of teams with the likes of Newcastle, Everton, Southampton etc that would guaranteed see finishing 9th, with a positive goal difference & a couple of memorable wins as being a brilliant season.

It’s predictably precarious for those 12, including us - even when we finish 13th.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

and the margins are so small that out of those 12, probably 10 or that are sweating until almost the very last day..
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote:
We’re in a group of teams with the likes of Newcastle, Everton, Southampton etc that would guaranteed see finishing 9th, with a positive goal difference & a couple of memorable wins as being a brilliant season.

tbf i think that would have been seen as a brilliant season, any season in our history!

I don't know how many times we have finished top 10 ever, but it can't be that many
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I don't know how many times we have finished top 10 ever, but it can't be that many
21 I believe
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:I think there's a grain of truth to the big-flight ennui argument. But I think the more accurate framing is that every season since time immemorial there will be half a dozen teams who have a good time, while for the rest it's a drudge. But those teams aren't fixed in place and rotate more than you'd probably think.

It goes without saying that Liverpool fans currently will be loving life. And City of course have been in clover for years now. But Wolves, Fulham and Watford fans probably don't currently have much truck with the argument that it's all a load of tosh. Burnley probably do – but wouldn't have said so 2 months ago. Leicester and ourselves shared a banner year a few seasons back but would now probably happily burn down the gaff.

Essentially most of the time it's a tedious slog, except for the rare times when it's not. And that's why you keep going.

Maybe a parable for life itself...
great post Aceface
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Stepney wrote:I fancy this one. 1-3 West Ham and a brace from Arnie... :crest:
Never in doubt. Got the brace from Arnie wrong though....
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

You did better than L*wro. Perhaps that is not saying much.