Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Nesticles

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Nesticles »

Very close fight, GGG for me but I can see how it could have gone either way

The problem is, if it was close it was inevitable which way it was going
englebert

Post by englebert »

I don't see how anyone can have any complaints. It was a very close fight. Most of the rounds had hardly anything in them therefore can be judged either way. Judges don't like to score rounds even so its always going to be difficult. I didn't try to score it, i just watched it and enjoyed it.

The stats show it pretty even too.

There are alot of matches with poor scoring. That wasn't one of them
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The one sport I do think was better years ago than today. Having said that, I do admit to liking Tyson Fury. Maybe it's something in his name
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

GGG can feel a little hard done by, however, there’s no doubt the Mexican juicer made both fights close.

I didn’t bother to score it round by round as I normally would so hard for me to say definitively but my overall feeling is that it isn’t quite the robbery some are making out.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MM

already stated that I don't know enough about it either...

however, it "looked" as though he had done enough. Ringside commentators AND the ex pro analyst(s) alongside them all seemed to think, before the final bell that GGG had done enough and although a close fight, not close enough..

Ringside punch stats showed a close fight, though they favored Golovkin by a small margin. Golovkin was credited with landing 234 of 879 punches while Alvarez (50-1-2) landed 203 of 622.

Our man, Gareth A Davies, scored the fight for GGG but says it was an improved Canelo performance over the first match.

GGG 116-112 or at worst 115-113 but it was a close fight and a better Canelo performance than first fight

— Gareth A Davies (@GarethADaviesDT) September 16, 2018
Both BT Sport and HBO had it 116-112 as I did - yes, it was a close fight but I don't see how Canelo won that 7-5 in rounds. Two judges scored it that way. The cards will be interesting to see...

— Gareth A Davies (@GarethADaviesDT) September 16, 2018

Final round - Canelo 10-9. I have Golovkin winning this by four rounds 116-112. Very similar to first contest. But what will the judges have .... here we go...
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

You have to do more than what Alvarez did to take the belts from a champion. GGG is still still the best Middleweight in the world, true boxing fans know this, Alvarez boxed boxed and fought very well, but both times he was beaten by the better man.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Jumby wrote:true boxing fans know this
That line is redundant when it comes to the rematch

Canelo was backing the champion up for most of the fight, he became the aggressor. You got intelligent ex fighters like Andre Ward saying Canelo won. GGG’s own trainer feel like he could have done more.

I feel like GGG won, but in a close fight fans always lean on the side of the fighter they wanted to win. It was clearly a very close fight, the robbery claim just doesn’t work with this fight.

The only thing is that if it was close, wrongly we all likely knew Canelo would get the nod and he did
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Jumby wrote:You have to do more than what Alvarez did to take the belts from a champion.
He (a Mexican) was fighting a Russian in Vegas at the end of the day. If anything it's Golovkin that needed to do more.

Don't get me wrong, I think GGG can feel hard done by, but he should know what it takes for a European to win a close 12 rounder over there.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/45561101

Might this prevent him from fighting Andrade? The tit.

Supposedly it was Kid Galahad doing the camera work.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MM

doesn't the challenger have to do more ??

From what I saw GGG wasn't the one backing up the whole time...it went back and forth with both fighters having their "ups" and "downs."
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:MM

doesn't the challenger have to do more ??
On a level playing field sure...but a Mexican fighting a Russian on a de la Hoya card in Vegas?

To be fair it happens all over the world in varying degrees.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that's what the commentators said on my stream and I noted earlier..

Golden Boy fighter
Golden Boy Promotions
Golden Boy venue

doesn't make it right especially at a time when boxing is suffering from MMA in terms of interest and attendances and PPV's, I would assume....
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:at a time when boxing is suffering from MMA in terms of interest and attendances and PPV's, I would assume....
Not a chance, boxing is booming especially in the UK. There are due to be 9 PPV events in the UK before the end of the year, two on one night too (Frampton/Warrington and Chisora/Whyte)

Eddie Hearn has created an army of boxing fans that would pay for anything in this country. He could probably get away doing Box Office to watching Joshua hit a heavy bag for 10 rounds.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

must be just the U.S. then..

https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/infogra ... ng-graphic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UFC vs boxing: How UFC is edging ahead in the popularity stakes

last year's article...

Boxing had its biggest drawing fight ever in 2015 when 4.6 million paid out to watch box-office juggernauts Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao collide but, with only one card mustering a million viewers since, that is looking like a last hurrah.

Three guys have kept crowds coming since Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield faded from view: Oscar De La Hoya, Mayweather and Pacquiao, but the latter is the youngest of the three at 38.

While boxing insiders fret over where their next landscape changer will surface from, UFC is enjoying the most successful spell of its existence, pulling in over a million views five times in 2016 alone, an incredible rise for a company averaging around the 50,000 mark 15 years ago.

McGregor has spearheaded that boom, culminating in his boxing showdown with Mayweather for which he is the 5/1 underdog, but he is no lone wolf, with Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate also recent graduates to the million club.

That is the concern for boxing as it competes with Dana White’s mixed-martial-arts monster for relevance and popularity: it isn’t just that the numbers are tilting in the upstart’s favour, it is that they appear to have more name value with which to sustain the growth, and younger stars too.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

MMA in the UK, under any promoter, is nowhere near boxing in terms of attendances, viewing figures, general media coverage etc..

It’s not even close...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Maybe because there are more live events in the U.S.

It is bigger on buys, attendance (there is an event almost every week) and star power I would say....

boxing isn't that relevant in the U.S. much I suppose, maybe there aren't that many U.S. top fighters ? I know nothing about it to be honest.....
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Whatever the situation, the challenger SHOULD have to do more than what Alvarez did to take the belts, it's a ridiculous scenario, especially as the vast majority of people think that GGG has been robbed of his belts and probably had his career ruined now.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Was gutted, expected a controversial result, backed the draw

Canelo is never losing on the cards, he should've already lost two on the scorecards and he didn't, let not forget one of the judges gave him the Mayweather fight and that was clearest winner you'll ever see
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Yep the only way Canelo loses on the cards is to someone who sells more PPV than he does, and even then it would be close