West Ham Utd 0-0 Chelsea (23/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hxhammer

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread (23/9)

Post by hxhammer »

rossmundo wrote:Antonio excellent today really put a shift in.
He worked hard, by the problem i have with him is he seems to have lost a yard or 2 of pace and looks boll*cked after about 20 mins. When he came off he looked absolutely out on his feet!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

tiem for the team to focus for a hard test again on Saturday. no videos showing how hard we worked etc just get down to it and get the 3 points at home.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Thought Noble was magnificent , never stopped running , only Zabaleta was more magnificent , funny that the two older players put in the best performances , every one else were just brilliant .
My thoughts exactly. :thup:
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Thought overall we deserved the point. Thought the day was full of positives tbh. Sun came out in time for kick off. The whole team put a shift in and the bowl was quite lively. Sure we can spend time digging individuals out, but whats the point. Elements of the team are limited in their ability, - certainly when compared to the visitors yesterday, but all were equal when comparing workrate and desire..with the possible exception of late substitute Perez.( But even he chose to take the opportunity to enter the field of play this week !) This is work in progress to be sure, and with no Arnie, Hernandez, Lanzini or Carroll was deffo not our strongest squad. Lets just once share in a well earned point, and some optimism that actually we have a reasonable squad, who look well drilled and organised and to a man seem to really care about playing for the club...
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Westbourne Bill wrote:A decent result and defensive performance, but let's be honest there was precious little difference between the way the team was set up and how Moyes or Allardyce would have done so. Im not seeing much value in the £100m spent apart from a better GK.

Early days though, I accept.

This performance was totally different to any under Moyes. It wasn't a 'backs-to-the-wall throw yourself in front of anything' type of defensive display. It was a thoughtfull approach of using the ball constructively to maintain possession under pressure and provide opportunities to break. I enjoyed the game, not just the result, which we were looking to win right up until the last few minutes, when we understandibly hung on for a point. Carry on like this and we can really go places. Well done Pellers.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Diop makes Crooks Team of the Week

What did he do , steal a point ? :)
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

My take:

Fab: Massively impressed with this guy. Thought he was an unexciting signing, but I've been amazed at how calm, composed and good at shot stopping he is. I never realised he was good.

Zab: Was fantastic, despite the air-kick, but looked shattered after 20mins. Surprised he managed to keep going til the end. I still think - or hope - that Fredericks can be a long-term solution to this position, but Zab seriously is an excellent FB. Shame you can't put him into Fredericks' body.

Diop: Another good game. Has arguably been our best signing along with Fab so far.

Balbuena: I've been less convinced by him that I have by Diop - his positional play has been lacking at times and I've caught him not tracking runners. However, he's improving with every game and I thought he was excellent today.

Masuaku: Decent game and proving that he can defend after all. Still not convinced I'd have him over Cresswell but I think he's shown enough recently to deserve an extended run at LB to see if he can make it his own.

Rice: Such a phenomenal prospect. For me, easily in the class of Rio, Carrick, Cole at a similar age. Let's hope he can continue to develop - and do so with us!

Obiang: Oddly he seemed a tad anonymous to me compared to others, but he must have contributed a lot. I think his athleticism provides a much needed blend in that midfield trio. I do think that in the longer term, his and Noble's place will be Lanzini's and Wilshere's for the taking but essential player at mo.

Noble: I've been sticking up for Noble a lot recently. Another good game, gets stuck in, is an inspiration, and is definitlely far more comfortable further up the pitch. Ultimately, he is getting on and perhaps, ability (or physicality) wise, falling behind some of the others a little, but I love him, and again, he's a chief component at present. We just always seem to play better with him in the side.

Anderson: I think there's far, far more to come from him, but we're getting real glimpses of what he's capable of. Has been good the last 2 games.

Yarmolenko: Another very good game and was really involved. Such a shame about that miss. Ironically, I think Antonio would have buried that one, wheras Yarmolenko might've scored one of his!

Antonio: He's been getting so much stick in recent months, a lot of which I find harsh. He put in a shift today and caused them problems with his power. Yes, people will point to those missed chances and perhaps he could've done better but he's not a centre forward and he seems short on confidence in front of goal. I thought overall he had a good game and he's an essential squad player for me.

Perez: Let's not kid ourselves, he was a cheapo signing for a 4th choice striker, except he's now managed to slip down to 5th choice! I'd never seen him play before he'd arrive at ours and purely based on his stats and reputation, I saw him as no more than a Prem flop in the mould of Aliadiere or Chamakh (if we stick to the Arsenal examples). Has so much to prove.

Snodz: Works hard and again shown he has genuine quality. A next level of squad player and the sort of character who can become a cult hero at ours.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Diop makes Crooks Team of the Week
Christ that bloke is a world class bellwhiff.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Didn't get to watch the whole game till last night, had it recorded and I was impressed yet again. Could easily have won that but a point was fair. Rice really is looking great, I kinda don't want him to keep improving purely because he will be gone soon.
Graza

Post by Graza »

steveyrockstar wrote: Obiang: Oddly he seemed a tad anonymous to me compared to others, but he must have contributed a lot. I think his athleticism provides a much needed blend in that midfield trio. I do think that in the longer term, his and Noble's place will be Lanzini's and Wilshere's for the taking but essential player at mo.
Especially in the first half he ran his nuts off and was always giving Anderson and Masuaku an out ball on the left. Normally pinging it straight back to one of then or off to Rice for putting up the opposite wing. Didn't see as much of him in the second half, but he was still linking and floating about making life difficult.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

i got as far as the vic and was in there until 12
then went home and slept all afternoon

hangover from hell
nortonhammer

Post by nortonhammer »

Graza :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Another enjoyable OV :)