The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I've had chronic eczema since childhood , some time in the early 2000s I gave up alcohol for 10 months and during that time it more or less disappeared completely , just like that , on it's own .

Then , around 3 years ago I had these red patches appear on both legs and nothing I did would get rid of them so i went to the Doc's - he told me I had psoriasis and gave me Doublebase gel and a tube of something that was stronger than Betnovate - it disappeared within 5 days and I was bumbling along nicely until recently when it returned on my hands and feet - my feet ain't too bad now but it's persisting around the hands / wrists area with bits and pieces on my arms in the fold where the elbow joints are .

I thought I was feeling better about the upcoming move but I still feel kinda jittery about it all , stupid I know .

Psoriasis is a b*stard - a crew mate of mine on the Ferry had it [ still has I guess ] on his face and neck - he'd go into hospital periodically and they'd forever be advising him to cut down on the drink but he just couldn't , lovely man that he is .

I always thought my skin problems could be connected to alcohol but I haven't had a drink in 9 years and I certainly didn't drink as a child ! :)

This guy you're investigating , Adrian - the prison where he's being held will have all his records , surely the Police could find out something as simple as that ?

Best of luck , mate . :thup:
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

psoriasis is massively linked to stress, i hardly drink i have one pint every friday while my kids go beavers as its opposite the pub or its 25mins to get back home.
The Old Man of Storr

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:psoriasis is massively linked to stress, i hardly drink i have one pint every friday while my kids go beavers as its opposite the pub or its 25mins to get back home.
Yes , it is - people deal with stress in all sorts of ways but for us sensitive chaps it goes inwards and comes out as eczema or psoriasis - what you've been through is beyond stressful - have you tried relaxation therapy or is that a silly question ?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Yep, nice turn of events lads....

The skin, the biggest organ, is so obviously the window to our inner turmoil.

I started to think about this and read about it many years back.

The skin takes all our inner **** all our inner emotion and all out stress..........and then has to defend itself from the outside too.

Be kind to ourselves...........just relaxing (tapes, videos) can help to calm those skin outbreaks significantly...

:thup:
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Yes , it is - people deal with stress in all sorts of ways but for us sensitive chaps it goes inwards and comes out as eczema or psoriasis - what you've been through is beyond stressful - have you tried relaxation therapy or is that a silly question ?
I swear by mindfulness but sometimes no matter what i do it just pops up.
I hear there is a pill now but apparently the side effects are brutal
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:I have to find out my abusers date of birth sadly, even though that article has been identified as him by his children the police keep asking me to get his DOB, he isnt on any of there birth certificates they never had a close relationship with him. So currently wondering how i go about that, dont know if there is a way.
Hi Aion1,
Had a look on the GRO (General Records Office) & their birth index only goes up to 1917.
Then had a look on the 'Ancestry' website. Trouble is, his name & age range show up 252 people. You would need place of birth to narrow it down & even then you would only get the birth year.
To then get the birth cert, because it's 'fairly recent' (as opposed to 'historic') you would need to know quite a lot more stuff about him to proceed, as well.
I really can't believe the police can't get it. They must be able to access it, he's got a conviction.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

westhamshares wrote:I have 1 adult and 2 kids tickets for brighton away For someone who has posted on this thread
You are a kind & generous soul, whs. I hope someone takes you up on it.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Ditto. Really kind of you westhamshares. Unfortunately I am away but also I wouldn't no of any little uns I could take. Hope somebody accepts and have a great time whoever goes.
westhamshares
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by westhamshares »

Tickets for brighton have been taken

If there is a home game somebody is interested in and I have any spare happy to oblige to anybody who posts on this thread
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

A wonderful gesture WHS :thup:
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Then , around 3 years ago I had these red patches appear on both legs and nothing I did would get rid of them so i went to the Doc's - he told me I had psoriasis and gave me Doublebase gel and a tube of something that was stronger than Betnovate - it disappeared within 5 days and I was bumbling along nicely until recently when it returned on my hands and feet - my feet ain't too bad now but it's persisting around the hands / wrists area with bits and pieces on my arms in the fold where the elbow joints are .
:
If you have no luck with the creams, look into UV light treatment. The people at Barking Hospital are really good. It clears it all up, but it does come back. It is good for a while though. It's a bit weird, you have to stand naked it a pod!

Get out in the sun as well, Vitamin D is great, and speak to your GP about Vitamin D suppliments. October & Feburary are good go to months. If you have any struggles during the winter mental health wise then the Vit D can help with that too.

A good balanced diet is key as well. I think taking a multivitamin helps for me too.

One last thing, is my psroasis seems to start from the scalp & if that's well managed then can help prevent other areas. Supposedly that's quite common.
The Old Man of Storr

Thanks for the input , Briggsy -

I've been aware of the benefits of seaside holidays for decades now - whenever we spent a couple of weeks at Woolacombe [ my favourite British holiday destination ] my eczema would clear up dramatically , then upon returning home , whether it was Potters Bar in the old days or Skye as it is now the eczema would return with a vengeance .

I actually went to the Doc's yesterday as we're off to Elgin today and I told him that I was having trouble with my skin once more , it's been spreading to a variety of places in the last few days - I mentioned to him that I'd been given an ointment a couple of years back that had cleared up my problem quite quickly but couldn't remember what it was called - he reminded me it was called ' Elocon ' and prescribed a tube of it for me .

I had another shower when I got home and applied the Doublebase and a thin layer of Elocon on the affected areas and I must admit it's already showing signs of improvement .

I did read up about Elocon however and it does affect your immune system somewhat so beware if you go down this route , chaps .

We're off to Elgin today then , if you don't hear from me for a few weeks it's just that we won't be set up with any broadband until then . I'll be sure to log in once I'm connected once more .

Take care all of you .
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good luck with your move, TOMOS.

Hope all goes well.

The Old Man of Storr

Thanks , Somerset , mate :thup: - just arrived at our new home for the next 9 months and I have to admit that first impressions it's not bad at all - nicely decorated if you like wallpaper in every room , but apart from that it has a fridge , washing machine and dishwasher plumbed in . It has oil fired central heating , not quite as modern as ours but it works . We're going to need a couple of beds , we brought one for Dan but I'm on a blow-up lilo and Jen's on the settee until we get proper beds . It's a bit like camping for the time being but hey ho .

I brought 5 bags worth of books , mostly for learning Photoshop , the rest a variety of fiction .

Telly will need sorting out , Sky are coming on the 5th October - I left our Sky Q for our tenant , I'll probably end up bringing it here and set something up for her next week , probably my old Sky HD + box .

Well , I didn't think I'd be able to communicate with you until we had broadband set up but my clever wife discovered that if you're with BT you can log in to something called BT Fon - you don't get much MBs but it's enough to send a message on Kumb .

We're 4 miles from Elgin , in the middle of the countryside , there are another 4 houses next to us and a few behind and right in front of us is.......you'll never guess.....is a distillery !!!! :lol: I got out of the car and the first thing I smell is something akin to Home Brew - Jen says it's a distillery but it smells like a brewery - I guess the smell is similar .

Lots of geese about , lots , the sky just before Elgin was full of them . Beautiful sight . The weather here is a lot better too , it was blowing a gale and pouring rain this morning on Skye , over in Elgin the skies are clear with a hint of a breeze .

That's it then , lads - Jen and Dan have gone to rehearsals at Brodie Castle , about half an hour's drive from here - they're putting on a performance from Thursday night onwards for 5 nights , I'm left to sort out all the stuff we brought with us .

I think I'm going to like it here .
The Old Man of Storr

davids cross wrote:Yep, nice turn of events lads....

The skin, the biggest organ, is so obviously the window to our inner turmoil.

I started to think about this and read about it many years back.

The skin takes all our inner **** all our inner emotion and all out stress..........and then has to defend itself from the outside too.

Be kind to ourselves...........just relaxing (tapes, videos) can help to calm those skin outbreaks significantly...

You're absolutely correct , David - our skin takes a battering from the elements and has to deal with all our daily stress - to give it a helping hand drink plenty of fluids [ not too much alcohol ] and keep it as clean as possible .

Cleanliness is strongly emphasised in the Islamic religion , perhaps more than any other religion - I stayed in a Hostel with a bunch of Muslim lads , they came back at around midnight from wherever they had been and each and every one showered before bedtime , they told me it was part of their religion to keep as clean as possible , it's very important to them to be as clean as possible before prayers .

I hope you are well within yourself , DC . :thup:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Glad the move went well TOMoS - hope it continues onwards and upwards. Also it’s good to hear a good follow up story after the stress you were going through before the move.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Doesnt washing your skin make it worse as it dries it out?
I always thought baths and showers were no good for things like eczema.
The Old Man of Storr

mushy wrote:Doesnt washing your skin make it worse as it dries it out?
I always thought baths and showers were no good for things like eczema.
You're right up to a point , washing with soap etc does dry out the skin but in my experience if I apply the creams and ointments without showering first they just irritate the skin even more and I end up sctratching and damaging the skin even more .
What I've found is to shower first with ordinary soap not the stuff the Doctor gives you to wash with , Dermabase or whatever it's called , ordinary soap while showering then apply the Doublebase gel and the skin is rehydrated immediately . At the moment I'm also having to use ' Elocon ' which is a stronger version of ' Betnovate ' - once the eczema gets under control once more I'll revert to just using Doublebase Gel which incidentally isn't a gel but a cream - after showering . I find having a bath first heats up the skin far too much making the eczema worse so shower not bath AND only apply the ointments or creams after showering NOT before or the eczema gets worse .
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

My dad had psoriasis ( and colitis) and I've got it + Crohns, make of that what you will, but both me and dad washed /wash frequently throughout the day and ALWAYS with coaltar soap.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Oi! that's all physical health. Numpties :wink:

When physical health and mental health meet:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ntry-study

Of all the diet fads and their alleged benefits, after pouring over 25 years + of research, the heuristic of following a mediterranean diet is the only short hand advice on what to eat worth listening to from what I can tell. This plus cutting out refined sugars.