CCR3: West Ham Utd 8-0 Macclesfield Town (26/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Macclesfield Town: match thread (26/9)

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

8-0 ...... is that all against 92nd in the football league? :hush:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Perhaps it would be better in future for West Ham if the attendance was cut in half.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Had to laugh at my local radio station this morning. When ever West Ham lose we always get a great mention on the sports news but when we win it's always skipped.

This mornings sports football news was
"And in last nights Carabao Cup games , Liverpool were knocked out by losing 2-1 to Chelsea, Tottenham beat Watford 4-2, Arsenal beat Brentford 3-1 and..............in cycling news... :D
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Was in shock when I saw the result.
Having watched the highlights and goals though - how bad are Macclesfield!
Up until we scored the first goal & after Adrian had made a very decent save, they were no better or worse than about 20 teams we’ve played with lower opposition caliber. Reminiscent of games against Europa league entrants, Shrewsbury last season & the likes. The real difference was Pellegrini’s team and the clear aim to win the game and get to the last 16.

Once we’d got to halftime it was basically over, but there will be some fringe squad players absolutely bursting with confidence today - the only real concern for me would be our summer Arsenal signing - doesn’t look up for it
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

This will teach me for not going!
e17

Post by e17 »

Georgee Paris wrote:Perhaps it would be better in future for West Ham if the attendance was cut in half.
I took your advice and tried out the 111 area and the walk to Hackney Wick for the first time last night.

How the other half live eh?!? The people around us were actually singing and stuff, and that walk back was (obviously still absolutely soulless & smelly) lollipop free

Back to Stratford concrete on Saturday morning though
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

great result and now onto the big one this week. win this and we are emerging from the doom and gloom.
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

SullySpecial wrote:Just once, I would like to see WHU absolutely batter a lower league opponent. Sadly, I don’t think that’s ever going to happen.
:scarfer:
e17

Post by e17 »

hammerman11 wrote:great result and now onto the big one this week. win this and we are emerging from the doom and gloom.
I suspect whatever happens on Saturday for it to feel like the standard premiership game with the standard silent brigade around us. I’ve a weird feeling that potential home cup games are as close as that refreshing feeling of actually enjoying games during the World Cup might get this year. Sadly I suspect grumpy & his “football” team will have confirmed that by about 1pm on Saturday.

“the big one” = when your team win 8-0 and playing “United” is next :fsake:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote: I took your advice and tried out the 111 area and the walk to Hackney Wick for the first time last night.

How the other half live eh?!? The people around us were actually singing and stuff, and that walk back was (obviously still absolutely soulless & smelly) lollipop free

Back to Stratford concrete on Saturday morning though
You could just go to and from Hackney Wick anyway. I sit in East stand but sometimes take the train from Stratford to Hackney wick and take the slightly longer walk from there (and the reverse on way home)

Also, you could probably just go and sit in 111 block if you wanted to. Probably be some spare seats
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Nice to see us play against lower league opposition with the right attitude for once.

It would be interesting to see how it would have panned out had Rice not come on so early.

He clearly wanted to play and seemed to come on and dictate the way and pace we played at. I thought he came on and basically ran the game. The other players responded.

Very impressed watching this lad. Lots of nice quick passes to feet, always available and on the move :thup:
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Macclesfield could of actually gone 1-0 up, they had a good headed chance from close range in the first 10 minutes but it was more or less headed straight back to Adrian.

Lovely to see the Academy boys run riot with it. Diagana obviously the stand out, very nimble tricky little player very much in the Lanzini mould. Worked tirelessly to get a goal and ended up with a brace.

Fredricks’ goal was a beaut. 2 for Snoddy, he looked really pleased to score. Perez got off the mark with a well taken volley. I know it was poor opppostion but it was great for these players to bag their first goals for the club, confidence will be high going into Saturday’s game.

Only mildly concerning part of the night was when the kiosk attendant in the stadium tried to charge me £6.50 for a tea and chocolate bar, which I then contested to which she replied “oh sorry my till’s not working properly”. Yeah, course it wasn’t.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Oh, and Sanchez went off injured quite early in the match - replaced by Deco who predictably bossed it in the middle.

But Diop pulled up a bit in the last 10 minutes and looked like he wanted to come off, but we’d already made our 3 subs so couldn’t. Thankfully the ref didn’t play any injury time, but let’s hope Diop is ok for Saturday.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

steps wrote:Oh, and Sanchez went off injured quite early in the match - replaced by Deco who predictably bossed it in the middle.

But Diop pulled up a bit in the last 10 minutes and looked like he wanted to come off, but we’d already made our 3 subs so couldn’t. Thankfully the ref didn’t play any injury time, but let’s hope Diop is ok for Saturday.
You would hope if he was that at 8-0 up we would be confident enough to see the game out with 10 men...
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

7 mins of highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMajf7C8mB0

You may want to turn the sound down....Doris :(
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

They were the worst team I have ever seen actually. I also watch Crawley now and again but never seen a team that bad.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Marky wrote:They were the worst team I have ever seen actually. I also watch Crawley now and again but never seen a team that bad.
Also their Goalkeeper was the worse player I have ever seen.
e17

Post by e17 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:[You could just go to and from Hackney Wick anyway. I sit in East stand but sometimes take the train from Stratford to Hackney wick and take the slightly longer walk from there (and the reverse on way home)

Also, you could probably just go and sit in 111 block if you wanted to. Probably be some spare seats
All very true, Crouchy. Especially as our normal match journey is on the Richmond - Stratford train - It’s funny how unadventurous some of us old sods like myself are - so used to doing pubs in Walthamstow or Leytonstone first that I genuinely never thought about the Wick option

Asking for trouble saying this, but minus the pie & mash & the end excitement of green street, it was a far more nice & leisurely stroll back than scrambling about for Jubilee Line trains used to be at the old girl
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Also their Goalkeeper was the worse player I have ever seen.

He's on loan from Man U, don't think De Gea has got too much to worry about :D
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Marky wrote:They were the worst team I have ever seen actually. I also watch Crawley now and again but never seen a team that bad.
Admittedly, I've only seen highlights, but that was a stroll-around of a match, for both sides.

Probably the easiest work out even the debutants have ever played.