Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The French ... or more specifically ...

1. French motorway tolls. They're extortionate and appear to be made up as they go along. Just finished a motorcycle tour of Spain, France and Belgium and noticed that Spanish motorway tolls are cheap and consistent. French motorway tolls aren't and appear to be random. One bike being charged x amount and another being charged a completely different amount even though we'd all done the same route.

2. French petrol stations. They're extortionate and you have to pay before you fill up which is OK in theory. What they don't tell you is that when you put your card in, they charge the maximum amount (150 Euros) out of your account until the payment clears and then they take out only the amount of petrol you've filled up with. Nine of us went on this tour and we all went overdrawn because of this stupid practice. I heard Tesco tried to do the same but lasted a matter of weeks before the uproar forced them to back down.

3. French drivers. They're dangerous. They think tailgating, pulling out without warning and generally driving aggressively is perfectly acceptable. French lorry drivers are even bigger c****. On two occasions I was nearly wiped out by some ****ing bellend having no regard for anyone around them and others in the group had similar experiences.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good to have you back, GCRO
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

somerset-hammer wrote:Good to have you back, GCRO
Thanks mate :thup:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hope the French didn't ruin your whole trip.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Nah it was pretty mental as it goes. I'm surprised we aren't barred from Brittany Ferries after the carnage we caused on the way over. :D
S-H

Post by S-H »

Good stuff! :D :thup:
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

France and the French are alright but you don't want to go for the whole day,do you?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Fully concur with the Frenc h motorways, but next time stick to the RNs, they're free, quiet, and great on a bike.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: 3. French drivers. They're dangerous. They think tailgating, pulling out without warning and generally driving aggressively is perfectly acceptable. French lorry drivers are even bigger *****. On two occasions I was nearly wiped out by some ****ing bellend having no regard for anyone around them and others in the group had similar experiences.
Very little winds me up on the roads more than the tailgating thing (much worse in France than anywhere else I've been to) - particularly when you've got a relatively busy outer lane so you're keeping your distance between yourself and the car in front (for the moment that one of cars' brake lights come on causing havoc).....but no, Monsieur Connard insists on being so close that you can't even see his radiator grill in the rear view. Then the old tap-tap of the brake pedal to make the lights come on so he'll back off.

GCRO I can't even imagine what it's like on a bike on those roads, fair play to you

While we're on the subject of driving, hopping over the border, Italians driving:

Roundabouts - no idea. I read that until the mid 90's, whoever was entering the roundabout had priority, most people still seem to think this is the case
Parking - all over the zebra crossings blocking mother + baby crossing, parking at 45 degrees to the side of the road so the arse end of the car is in the road, double parking where there clearly isn't room.
Indicators - covered in dust in most cars around here I would imagine, no one uses them
Speed limits - might as well have an extra 0 on the end
Red lights - didn't realise but over here the first 2 seconds of it being red is actually still ok to go even if it means nearly taking out scooters / motorbikes that are quick off the mark from other directions. Should you choose to actually stop once you see an amber that's about to turn red, whoever is behind seems to get rather irate.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Having to visit Bywaters recycling plant in Bow twice in a week. Rat infested, smelly and being attacked be thousands of flies. :thdn:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The Christmas decs are going up in Oxford Street I see.
JerseyHammer wrote: While we're on the subject of driving, hopping over the border, Italians driving:
The Italians are on a whole different level when it comes to driving on their roads. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population are trying to keep themselves "match fit" in case something happens to Vettel or Raikkonen and Ferrari need to make an urgent last minute call up before Monza.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Eggchaser wrote:The guy at work who is incessantly either drumming his fingers or tapping his feet pretty much 8 hours a ****ing day.
DasNutNock wrote:Try listening to this and NOT tapping your feet:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's more tuneful than Cozy ****ing Powell here that's for sure :lol:
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The French ... or more specifically ...

1. French motorway tolls..........
Me and the good Mrs were going to drive to Italy Via Nice last year, was ****ing cheaper to fly due to the toll roads
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

whilst i am in the rants section

Those ****ing dirty b*stard Russian cyber c****,,, causing me more work
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

JerseyHammer wrote:While we're on the subject of driving, hopping over the border, Italians driving:

Roundabouts - no idea. I read that until the mid 90's, whoever was entering the roundabout had priority, most people still seem to think this is the case
Are you sure you don't mean Wiltshire? The concept of roundabouts is beyond most of the people driving here. Most approach them covering 2 lanes just to make sure part of the car is in the right one, and white lines appear to have been put there for no apparent reason.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Sully's rotting ballbag. Rat infested, smelly and being attacked by thousands of flies. :thdn:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Tenbury wrote:Fully concur with the Frenc h motorways, but next time stick to the RNs, they're free, quiet, and great on a bike.
Actually did a few RNs but there were times when it was just quicker to do the motorways. French motorways have to be the most boring thing on earth. Just farmland and nothing else really and I could feel myself dropping off at times it was so boring.

We did a few WWI graveyards which made the whole thing worthwhile but I'll be hard pushed to ever ride on a French motorway again.

On the other hand, Northern Spain was amazing. Breathtaking scenery, fantastic weather and the people were spot on. The roads around the Pyrenees are scary as f*** though with hairpin bends having no barriers and 3-400 foot drops either side - not for the faint hearted believe me.
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Staying in an air bnb for the last few days. There is no colander and only double handle pans. So, was draining some pasta, very awkwardly, and dropped the lot in the sink :lol: ffs
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Corporate speak when dealing with controversy. With the Ronaldo rape accusation,

"EA Sports told the AP: "We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.
"We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA's values.".

What values are those? Not raping people? That's ****ing idiotic, those aren't "EA's values" those are every normal person's values. How does it help a company to talk in such a bizarre way, and not just how normal people speak?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

A pair of the office Marketing snowflakes in the kitchen, microwaving their "paleo" breakfasts (eggs and fish, of course), screeching with laughter about how white their trainers are, and calling each other "bro".

They're both women, although I suppose they may identify as men or something.