Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 West Ham Utd (05/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion v West Ham Utd: match thread (5/10)

Post by Rio »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:He doesn't for West Ham, but he did for Mexico in the World Cup. Is it the man or the system?
Man in my opinion. I’ve not witnessed an ounce of body language that suggests he wants to be here for nigh on a year
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Few things from Friday. If I was a Brighton fan and with West ham coming to play us at home I would have been pretty mortified watching that, they gave West ham a huge amount of respect. They got the 3 points, but West ham were coming to play, not one of the big boys. I would have been pretty pissed at that considering it was a home match.

If/when teams do go defensive on us, we miss Lanzini or that type of player, we really struggled to break them down and create really "good" chances, saying that, we should have scored and got a point.

Snodgrass, right at the end, his vision & touch was sublime, I did not know he had that in his locker (when ball was cut back & Arnie put it over).

I came away from the ground thinking, f*** me, we really are a decent side now, if we had the right attitude in the first half we would have come away with something from that game. Which led me to the cups, if we play our strongest team I think we have a sniff this year, of course we will need some luck though.

Overall, considering we lost, I can see the difference under Pellers, and our front three are a handful for any team. We will concede as that's our weakest area, but going forward we are a real handful.

Get back soon Lanzini, as you could be the difference in really tight games.

Last thing, first time I have seen Rice live this season, massive improvement, and growing into a class act, he has "that" something about him.

For sure we lost, but so many more positives for me. Get the attitude right for the 90, and we will climb up the league fairly quickly allowing us to go for the cups.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Watched it back sober and with the benefit of replays now and think we really were unlucky.

The Arnautovic volley from our free kick early on really could have changed the whole game. It had the keeper absolutely beaten as he was rooted to the spot. Murray was just right place, right time for them and managed to get a solid foot on it. Last week Yarmolenko took a pop shot that was no where near as clean a strike against Man Utd and it looped up,over and in... this one just didn't fall for us.

Their goal was an absolute gift from us. Yarmolenko shouldn't lose possession so easily and more of a concern, why the hell was Zabaleta a good 20 yards in front of him as he lost the ball? From that point on we are all over the place. Balbuena is in no mans land, Diop clearly passes Murray on to Masuaku and Masuaku just stands and watches, any one of three could have scored for them. A total lapse of concentration.

Other than that, we played well overall, dominated possession, didn't get overrun, stroked the ball about with confidence and created enough chances to win the game.

Obiang seems to have lost his shooting boots and could have done better with his chance, Balbuena has to do better with his header from the corner and Arnautovic has to hit the target with the one cut back to him by Perez at the end.

A lot of positives to take out of it all in all, understandable to come away feeling like we deserved something from the game but you have to take your chances and you can't gift soft goals. We did the same against Wolves, missed a sitter then gave them the win.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

How many saves did Ryan make??
We were so lethargic in the first half and its not the first time. It’s unacceptable for us to be outworked and Brighton defended for their lives (look at then blocking)

Too many excuses we have lost to Wolves, Bournemouth and Brighton. It’s not good enough.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Marky wrote:How many saves did Ryan make??
We were so lethargic in the first half and its not the first time. It’s unacceptable for us to be outworked and Brighton defended for their lives (look at then blocking)

Too many excuses we have lost to Wolves, Bournemouth and Brighton. It’s not good enough.
Wolves and Bournemouth are in the top 7...
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Marky wrote:How many saves did Ryan make??

all 3 of those games , couldve gone either way , at lease we played really well 2nd half friday night & in all truth won the game , despite their gk not having a serious save to make .
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Was away this weekend so watched the game in a pub where the sound was turned off. Not being influenced by the commentary or crowd gave me a different perspective, like watching as a neutral. What I saw was a very hardworking championship team manage to squeeze a narrow victory against a much more skilled, talented premier league side. What a change from last season! Watching the highlights on MOTD the next day, really accentuated our missed opportunities. I felt we were slightly flat compared with recent games, but that was not really surprising. The goal was a defensive cock-up from start to finish. Yarmolenko casually gives the ball away when his full back is ahead of him. As the move develops diop passes Murray on to masuaku who acknowledges and starts to go with him. When the cross is targeted at the near post Diop manages to stop the brighton player getting a clean head on it and the ball flicks on across the goalmouth. Arthur has decide to stand back and watch the action . Murray is now totally unmarked. If masuaku goes with murray he makes life much more difficult for him. He may still score but it's a lot, lot harder.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Chigwell, like you probably I was at all of them and I honestly would say Wolves were better than us (by a distance), Bournemouth looked like they had an extra player in the second half. For Brighton I doubt Ryan will have an easier game this season.
We (fans, players, manager, club) need to raise our standards.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Marky wrote:Chigwell, like you probably I was at all of them and I honestly would say Wolves were better than us (by a distance), Bournemouth looked like they had an extra player in the second half. For Brighton I doubt Ryan will have an easier game this season.

was at the 2 home games , and i cant disagree with you , Ryan did have an easy night, despite all our domination 2nd half . , but i think we are improving , Antonio added nothing once he came on friday night
imo , this is the first time ive looked at any thread on here since friday night . i really thought we'd win 3-0
clearly i was as complacent as the team .
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Echo a lot of the posts, I thought we were unlucky but the defending was awful for the goal. I like the way Pellegrini has persisted with his system, even though the defensive line was a shocker against Liverpool it has actually worked really well since then. We attacked well and missed some great chances, we should have got a point at the very least, if not all three but we have to be much better in front of goal.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Spot on review from Clacton.

We lacked a bit of creativity/imagination in and around their box.

We played like the home team.

Rice is now looking composed and quality - didn't put a foot wrong or a ball astray (in the 60 minutes I saw)

Top half easily within reach, could push on further - onwards and upwards.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

the pink palermo wrote:How many actual saves did the Brighton keeper make ?
Was the exact point our good friend Romford was making to me after end of tgmhe game , their keeper didnt have to do much.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Marky wrote:Chigwell, like you probably I was at all of them and I honestly would say Wolves were better than us (by a distance), Bournemouth looked like they had an extra player in the second half. For Brighton I doubt Ryan will have an easier game this season.
All about opinions. I don't think Wolves were better than us. Certainly not 'by a distance'. I thought it was a pretty even game and that is no disgrace considering how well they are doing right now. I actually think had Arnautovic rolled his chance into the bottom corner against them as opposed to smashing it in the Wolves keepers face, we win that game 1-0. An undeserved win, but a win.

Bournemouth were much better than us in the 2nd half after a fairly even first half. Their front two were superb and we were pulled apart. Hands up there.

Neither keeper has really done a great deal in our game against Brighton and we certainly did enough to take a point. We missed some great chances (Balbuena and Arnautovic both six yards out have to hit the target) and we gifted them a goal.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

I see a lot are saying that on the one hand they were very good at blocking but then others complain that the keeper didn't have a lot to do.
Didn't the first half of the above sentence cause the second half?
We had more shots on target on Friday then we have all season, which is a step in the right direction.
Last edited by mushy on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

We put our two best chances over and wide against Brighton.

Yarmolenko and Antonio against Chelsea, Arnautovic against Wolves, Arnautovic and Balbuena against Brighton... those chances alone would see us have another 7 or 8 points on the board.

Good that we are creating them, but got to start taking them. Got to do better in front of goal if we want a top half finish.

Let's not forget we scored 11 in four days the week before too though.
mushy

Post by mushy »

I thought our goals to shots percentage was quite high.
Anyone know the stats?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15th in the league

82 taken

27 on target

10.25 per game (love that, which idiot took the .25 ?) :D

3.38 on target

about 30% ish.

given up

with 47 on target

there's an area for improvement right there.........
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: there's an area for improvement right there.........
Ironically, we have improved a great deal over the last two games.

We were consistently giving up 15, 16 or 17 shots per game until the Man Utd and Brighton games where they both only had 9 shots.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Ryan didn't have many saves to make because in front of him he had an excellent defensive shield; whether it was the reading of the game, or Ginge-esque blocks, they managed to prevent him from having to make saves. When we got through, we missed the target when we shouldn't have done.
mushy

Post by mushy »

So we averaging 10 shots per game, of which 3.38 are.on target and scoring 1 goal on average.
I assume that shots on target include shots blocked (if they look like they're goal bound).
Anyone know how many of those shots we had on Friday?
Am sure the BBC said our shot count was quite high.