Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Pop Robson »

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9PhfrStf0B0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Was Bonds a vastly superior player to Noble? I ask that as someone who never had the fortune of watching Bonzo play, except when he was about 40.

Bonds is consistently regarded as one of our greatest ever players and bona-fide legends. Yet he never won international recognition nor played for a "big" side (I have no idea if the likes of Man U etc ever tried to sign him. Did they?)

Just wondering how he compares to Noble from those fortunate enough to have lived through both careers. What was it about Bonds that elevated him to the pedestal of legend almost universally in Hammers' eyes?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

steveyrockstar wrote: What was it about Bonds that elevated him to the pedestal of legend almost universally in Hammers' eyes?
Having just shy of 800 appearances, the armband for ten years and lifting two FA Cups are a good place to start.

In terms of ability, no... truth be told, Bonzo wasn't a world beater either. He could play (as can Noble) but really he was 'just' a tough tackling, heart on the sleeve type of player and real leader of the team.
For me, these are rare talents in their own right anyway.

He is rightly considered a stand out West Ham legend. That said, none of the top clubs at the time would have thought about having him off of us.

Gary Mabbutt is in the Spurs Hall of Fame and you'd be hard pushed to find a Spurs fan who won't call him a legend... but was he that good a player??

I think that is the point many are trying to make, you don't have to have the talent of Di Canio to be considered a legend, likewise you don't instantly become one by having the ability of Payet.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

Having just shy of 800 appearances, the armband for ten years and lifting two FA Cups are a good place to start.

In terms of ability, no... truth be told, Bonzo wasn't a world beater either. He could play (as can Noble) but really he was 'just' a tough tackling, heart on the sleeve type of player and real leader of the team.
For me, these are rare talents in their own right anyway.

He is rightly considered a stand out West Ham legend. That said, none of the top clubs at the time would have thought about having him off of us.

Gary Mabbutt is in the Spurs Hall of Fame and you'd be hard pushed to find a Spurs fan who won't call him a legend... but was he that good a player??

I think that is the point many are trying to make, you don't have to have the talent of Di Canio to be considered a legend, likewise you don't instantly become one by having the ability of Payet.

We should shut the thread down now. Although I believe Bonzo was twice the player Nobes is Nobes deserves legend status for the exact reasons you have highlighted. Chelsea have Pat Nevin in theirs.

Those saying he doesn't deserve Legend status just have the benefit of replays, internet etc. Not saying they weren't around at the time and can't make a fair comparison. We all have our own views
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Mark Noble is a loyal servant of West Ham United.
When he retires he will be a Legend of West Ham United.

:crest:

Edit:
Just before he dies he will kick the ball as far as he can from the centre circle of the LS, and that is where he will be buried. He will of course miss and be buried under the centre circle of the LS.
Then someone will write a song to the tune of Robin Hood, and it will be called The Ballad of Mark Noble.

Mark Noble, Mark Noble
Dum dum dum the fight
Mark Noble, Mark Noble
Dum dum dum the strike
He kicks dum dum dum
And dum dum dum dee
Noble dum, Noble dee, dum dum dum

I need some fresh air.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

fmgod wrote:Got to be aiming for 500 surely, that's another 60 games and he is 31 now.
Should he remain and remain relatively injury free, I reckon he'll finish up at around 550 appearances in all Comps.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Echo what was said about Sir Billy...

heart on his sleeve..a right "character" in days when you could go to a local pub and find then sipping a few quietly and no one ever went over and bothered them...

socks rolled down, no shin pad rules in them days, thundering into the tackle...

I always thought if I were out there and not giving it my all, Billy would have been in my ear, grabbing me by the shirt front and wondering if I knew what playing professionally meant. And then playing for West Ham.

The days of a one club player are almost over with Carragher, Gerrard, Terry and Noble coming to, or close to coming to their end.

Bill was blessed with playing with some cracking players, and it really isn't Noble's fault that he hasn't had quite the all round quality that Bill did, to win a cup. And in those days too, there were probably more competitive games against the top boys than now. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be, and I am not really sure it was what it used to be, when it used to be !!!!!!!!!

:D

Although I lost a lot of respect for Noble the person after coming up with the "this place isn't run like a circus any more" and then not sticking up for the fans when he had the chance at the Burnley ugly fest....but that detracts nothing at all for what he has done for the club.

I don't care if no big clubs offered for him ..he would be a legend if he went to the Bin Dippers then ? That's the criteria now ? only be considered a legend if you play so well for us that someone nobs you off us and you played at Old Trafford ? Michael Carrick played for us, went to Spurs for a few bob, went to ManU for a few bob more and now is on their coaching staff. He has achieved so much more ever than Noble will or has. Should we run a thread - Michael Carrick - West Ham Legend...???

Should we consider him a West Ham Legend if he had played 500 odd times, lift the PL trophy and the FA cup a couple of times, win a shed load in Europe then move to one of the big boys ?

You can consider him one or not, but spilling bile like a couple of posters on here in order to counter to OP thread...

and as for playing like Kante......

:lol: :lol:
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Billy Bonds captained West Ham to 2 FA Cup victorys, a League Cup Final and a European Cup Winners Cup Final, so in our 100+ years of existence we've reached 9 Cup Finals and Billy Bonds led us out in 4. We've won 4 major trophies and Billy lifted 2 of those. Nobles claim to fame is captaining us to 3 points at Anfield.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Yeah, that’s his claim to fame.

(Saying that, I bet the fans who’d been going up there year after year for nothing can tell you the feeling of finally winning there)

If he’s not what West Ham is, then I don’t know what it’s meant to be
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

steveyrockstar wrote:Was Bonds a vastly superior player to Noble? I ask that as someone who never had the fortune of watching Bonzo play, except when he was about 40.

Bonds is consistently regarded as one of our greatest ever players and bona-fide legends. Yet he never won international recognition nor played for a "big" side (I have no idea if the likes of Man U etc ever tried to sign him. Did they?)

Just wondering how he compares to Noble from those fortunate enough to have lived through both careers. What was it about Bonds that elevated him to the pedestal of legend almost universally in Hammers' eyes?
I wouldn't say that Billy was ' vastly superior ' to Mark Noble , Stevey , what I would say is that there's never been a more inspirational player at West Ham than Billy Bonds , he was a Captain's Captain , led by example , looked after his players , played with his socks rolled down , he was hard but fair , was a better passer of the ball than people give him credt for , maybe not the same range as Mark but better than many - if the term ' Swashbuckling ' or ' Warhorse ' was ever meant for a Footballer , it was Billy Bonds .
Billy was named twice in Ron Greenwood's England Squads but got injured or only named as sub [ my memory ain't 100% and it was a while back now ] against Italy , he was in his 30s by then but he should have been a regular in his prime but the likes of Ray Wilkins , Emlyn Hughes , Brian Greenhoff , Paul Madeley and Allan Mullery were preferred instead because they played for ' bigger ' clubs . It was a travesty in my opnion .
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

At this stage in his career, I couldn't give a flying f*** if others considered him a "Legend" or not, personally not yet for me. What I do care about, is that he's a damn good solid, consistent Premier League Captain who gives his absolute all to the cause. I ****ing love that about him and one that's clearly well respected amongst footballing circles at the high end of the game, be it team mates, managers past and present or his peers he faces most weeks like the ones who couldn't deal with him in recent weeks like Pogba, Hazard. I'm sure if they were asked, they'd say what a tough clever opponent on the pitch he is to face up against win, lose or draw.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

and 400 + games for the club..most of them in the one of the top divisions in the world..

he was and is really shyte...

Kante like - my big fat hairy arse...

:lol: :lol:

and having a left peg that would open a can of baked beans...I would describe myself as Messi like..

in fact I was once mentioned in the same sentence as Messi..

my playing mates said.."Ossie you are absolutely NOTHING like Lionel Messi..."

:lol:
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Longaz wrote:Billy Bonds captained West Ham to 2 FA Cup victorys, a League Cup Final and a European Cup Winners Cup Final, so in our 100+ years of existence we've reached 9 Cup Finals and Billy Bonds led us out in 4. We've won 4 major trophies and Billy lifted 2 of those. Nobles claim to fame is captaining us to 3 points at Anfield.
To be clear... no one is comparing the legendary status of the two... as you point out, no one could because Bonzo stands head and shoulders above all.

Let's not use the fact that Noble hasn't led us out at an FA Cup or UEFA Cup final as a reason to belittle him though. There are plenty of other Club legends who never won anything with us either.

His claim to fame would most likely be that he has been a consistent starter for the club he supported as a kid for over a decade despite them having eight different managers in that time. He has gradually made his way into the list of top ten players for the club of all time in terms of appearances and has banged in over 50 goals along the way too.

I honestly can't understand why some people feel the need to belittle that.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've promised myself I won't look at this thread again, but I keep coming back like an addict. This thread was started nearly nine years ago! I think that must answer the question
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

goa127 wrote:I've promised myself I won't look at this thread again, but I keep coming back like an addict. This thread was started nearly nine years ago! I think that must answer the question
Wow 9 years??? Be interesting to know if anyone’s changed there opinion over the last few years
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Thread started - Jan 2014
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Longaz wrote:Billy Bonds captained West Ham to 2 FA Cup victorys, a League Cup Final and a European Cup Winners Cup Final, so in our 100+ years of existence we've reached 9 Cup Finals and Billy Bonds led us out in 4. We've won 4 major trophies and Billy lifted 2 of those. Nobles claim to fame is captaining us to 3 points at Anfield.
In Noble's defence, it's not his fault that during his entire career, his team mates on a whole have largely been pretty rubbish.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

sutts07 wrote:Thread started - Jan 2014

Sorry, my mistake it was jan 09 2014. I just read the Jan 09. It seemed wrong so I double checked and still read it wrong! Bit like I can't see the diference between Atlanta and Atalanta 8-)
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

Love the guy, but he's the new Steve Potts. Never Bonds in a million years.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ briggsy

a point I made in an earlier post.

and those that WERE any good, we got shot of (in one way or another) in good order for a few quid.

and replaced them with mostly, journeymen. and changed managers like most people change their underwear (well me anyway)...

:D
I don't have the time or inclination, but it would be interesting to see what quality players were with us in his time here and who we replaced them with.

Tevez
Yossi
Mascherano

immediately spring to mind........