Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

fester wrote:I rate Andy Carroll and don't believe he is one-dimensional. He can see the game developing and can find a killer ball when he has dropped deep. He reads the game really well. He is a monster in the air.

I think Arnie is rightly our main striker (albeit a converted winger) but, as others have pointed out, he can be nullified. Of course Carroll can also be nullified, but as Georgie pointed out earlier Carroll as a plan B at the moment gives us more than Antonio.

I really hope to see Carroll back in the team soon.
Agree with everything you said , Fester .

Andy vs Fulham was one of the most impressive displays by a striker in a West Ham shirt that I have seen , due to injury after injury and not applying hmself as he might have done we and he will look back on what might have been - Andy in full flight was a fearsome sight and at his best would take 3 defenders out of the game - he can still be a game changer , good luck in remaining injury free .
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Row X wrote: Against Man Utd, they played McTommany at CB and how many times did Arnie pull on to him to exploit him?
Patito wrote: When he scored.
Row X, you’ve picked a game in which we absolutely dominated Man U, where Arnie was given man of the match to criticise him :?. As Patito pointed out he pulled off McTominey for the goal and to be honest it didn’t matter which CB he was up against as he was terrorising all three of them!
the celestial insect wrote: If he had been constantly fit and training, I think he would now be starting ahead of Kane for England.
Talk about having your claret and blue specs on. Injuries or not Kane is on another planet to Carroll.

In just over 6 years Carroll has scored only 3 more premier league goals than Kane scored last season.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Amazes me that people (me included) still waste time talking about this **** that has stolen a living off West Ham.
He doesn't like football, never has, and what Nile Ranger says (loon that he is) is pretty much bang on the money
The Old Man of Storr

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: He doesn't like football, never has,
Similar to Julian Dicks then - didn't stop him playing football for a living .

Watching Andy Carroll playing for West Ham during his first couple of seasons with us showed me he cared about playing football but when you've had injury after injury after injury I'm sure the gloss will have been taken off his game , and yet whenever he plays there's always a better chance of West Ham winning , strange that .

But as you say , there's no point discussing Andy Carroll as most have already made up their mind about him and nothing new is ever brought to the table - he has a few supporters but most are detractors nowadays .
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Nile Ranger would have read the leg story on the Internet; he has no inside knowledge, just responding to gossip. He also knew Carroll a long time ago, when he was more of an idiot. Can safely say he’s calmed down a bit now. Not to say he’s no longer without faults, but that interview was just awful and pointless.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

e17 wrote:Some random wasteman gobs off about an ex-teammate for a few quid

Think Carroll deserves defending here, it’s an article based on some bloke he played with years ago and who appears to have no connection with him now

A complete non-story
So, hundreds can come on here and give him a coating and thats fine, but someone that actually knows him, played with him and has probably had nights out with him can't? :shock:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

carroll is a good striker when fit and that's the problem. year after year we await his return and then wait for the next big lay off.

at 90k a week he is a waste of time and money now. we should not renew his contract next season as we need to build a squad that is ready for the season not just the odd games carroll plays.

his lifestyle has no doubt contributed but he has made shed loads of money from us over 6 years.

a waster and a carthorse goodbye !
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Row X wrote:Brighton, Bournemouth and Wolves all nullified him fairly easily, sit in tight, double up on him leave no space in behind.

If you’re a center back and you’re playing against West Ham and you see Carroll’s name on the team sheet you’re probably not looking forward to the next 90 odd minutes.
Reverse those two paras and, because that's exactly what teams did to him after the first season here, and why him being "unplayable" is such rubbish. Teams/managers figured out that all they had to do was play one player tight on him and nudge him out of his runs, with another nearby to pick up the pieces, and as a result he barely got a look in
dt64
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by dt64 »

I honestly am surprised every time I see people say "it must be hard for him to be injured" etc. Once upon a time I may have believed that, but he has done nothing to prove that football is anything other than a complete distraction from his TOWIE lifestyle. There is no smoke without fire and pretty much every season since he joined us, there have been stories of him being out on the piss, whilst unable to play for us,

Just off the top of my head

1. The hi-viz incident at We R Fest
2. The incident with Randolph
3. Appearing on holiday in the sun whilst we were in the middle of yet another crisis
4. Sneaking out of his room and injuring himself

That is 4 incidents within the 6 seasons he has been here for god sake, he has taken the piss out of us and the club, for me there is no real argument to be made that he finds it difficult being injured, the reason he is injured is because of his lifestyle. This has been repeated by every manager he has had, including England. I love his style of play and used to believe that maybe he would come good but it is clear that he is here for the paycheck, if the club or the game meant something, he would have changed his ways by now, I mean give up the booze for 5 years, maximise your playing time, retire at 30 and then you can do whatever you bloody well like
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

It's true Carroll is unplayable, he spends most of the time in Dubai.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

stu1 wrote:
Row X, you’ve picked a game in which we absolutely dominated Man U, where Arnie was given man of the match to criticise him :?. As Patito pointed out he pulled off McTominey for the goal and to be honest it didn’t matter which CB he was up against as he was terrorising all three of them!
I picked that game out, because I was crying out for him to get on McTominey... he was the weak link in a poor Man Utd back 3, the one time he went near him, he got left in acers of space and Noble found him with a great ball.

Do you not think the coaches will be telling him this as well? If they aren't they're getting paid to do nothing.

Arnie is fantastic for us, and yes he numbers do not lie, he's up there with the best in the league at the moment... but, I still beileve Arnie is not the best striker at the club, Andy Carroll is. It's just that we never get to see him enough. As I said earler, an Andy Carroll that can play 30 games a season is an Andy Carroll that would not be playing for West Ham United.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

He is inferior to Sakho.

Arnautovic, as an all-round performer, is streets ahead of even a fully-fit AC.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

If he does his usual 12 match golden spell then he could be the difference in cup competitions this year.

Surely he was born to drink champagne out of the FA Cup on a sunny day at Wembley!
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

IF he is given another new contract Our Club will be a Laughing Stock, it is Highway Robbery how much he has taken off us in 6 years! 31 Premiership Goals since his loan season in 2012 IF that is a Top Striker! then anyone who plays park football must be! What does he have over Our Club??l lol
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

jaybs wrote: What does he have over Our Club??l lol

A contract..

:?
Crouchend_Hammer

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Similar to Julian Dicks then - didn't stop him playing football for a living .

Extremely disrespectful to Julian Dicks that

Dicks never gave less than 100%, either on the field or off it, and was a committed professional

He may not have liked football as a sport much, but he loved playing, loved competing and loved getting the best out of himself and his team mates

The polar opposite to Carroll
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

jaybs wrote:IF he is given another new contract Our Club will be a Laughing Stock, it is Highway Robbery how much he has taken off us in 6 years! 31 Premiership Goals since his loan season in 2012 IF that is a Top Striker! then anyone who plays park football must be! What does he have over Our Club??l lol
Ian Dowie
The Old Man of Storr

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Extremely disrespectful to Julian Dicks that

Dicks never gave less than 100%, either on the field or off it, and was a committed professional

He may not have liked football as a sport much, but he loved playing, loved competing and loved getting the best out of himself and his team mates

The polar opposite to Carroll
Similar to Julian Dicks in that he wasn't bothered about playing or watching football other than doing it for a living , what's so disrespectful about that ?
Crouchend_Hammer

For the reasons I stated

Many footballers don't like the sport and treat it like a job. But they still manage to do it with utmost dedication, commitment and respect.

There is a difference between not liking it, and actively disliking it so that it is a long way down your list of priorities
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:So, hundreds can come on here and give him a coating and thats fine, but someone that actually knows him, played with him and has probably had nights out with him can't? :shock:
He can & he has, Eggy. My point is it's not an interview worthy of extra bile aimed at the Geordie fella from the rest of us.