The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by mushy »

Michael Carrick in todays Guardian talking about his own depression.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ague-final
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:
they didnt even bother to call :lol:
That's poor.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

mushy wrote:Michael Carrick in todays Guardian talking about his own depression.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ague-final

I read this, the interview on BBC recently with him talking about it i felt come across quite badly, only it come across very trivialising. It was odd i felt it left him open to all sorts of abuse, from people who dont really get mental health.

It is great players are talking.
Adrianisournumber1

the police have decided that why they believe it is him, they cant proof that it wasnt my birth mother, it is either her or him and given my birth mother is dead they feel he will just say it was her.

Still his in prison i just feel massively **** right now
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

For anyone who has been affected by child sexual abuse, I've been hearing advertised on the radio about something called 'The Truth Project'.
It may be something to look into for some folks on here.
Best of luck everyone & please be kind to yourselves.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Samba :thup:
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

Samba wrote:For anyone who has been affected by child sexual abuse, I've been hearing advertised on the radio about something called 'The Truth Project'.
It may be something to look into for some folks on here.
Best of luck everyone & please be kind to yourselves.

I gave testimony for nearly three hours in April. The Truth Project is the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse in organisations or institutions. I would thoroughly recommend anyone who has been sexually abused to seriously think about giving testimony. It is not simply an opportunity to be heard and tell your story but it may also help prevent children going through similar abuse.

I went from not telling a soul for 40 years to disclosing to a counsellor in early January. A few weeks later I was able to tell my wife of thirty years. In early March I reported the three men and a woman to the police. The investigation is ongoing. I then gave testimony at the Truth Project in London in April. I have since told our five children and my siblings what I went through at school. Nearly 40 counselling sessions later I am a different man. My future is positive and I am enjoying life.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Good on you WCS , for doing it, AND for sharing that with us. :thup:
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the support. Sorry for not replying sooner I was quite overwhelmed by all the comments.

Somerset, I had tried self help groups when I was younger but I didn't work for me, mostly for the reasons I had mentioned. I might try it again though now that I'm older and more confident of who I am now.

Also thanks for the offers of PM's as well from everyone, firstly I'm not sure what I would say and secondly I'm not entirely convinced I know how to do it.

Keep safe everyone and take care.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: firstly I'm not sure what I would say and secondly I'm not entirely convinced I know how to do it.
You CAN do it...JM, everyone feels like that,it's only natural.
You must have read through the trials and tribulations of the likes of westcliff and others, I'm sure they felt like you to begin with.You can always 'unload' on here, especially when you meet the inevitable bump in the road.Give it another go mate, I read your original post, I can empathize with so much of it, it genuinely had me in tears.It took me so long to get help, I used to think(still do sometimes) that as Ian Anderson once wrote,
'Everyone was on a stage, and I'm the only person sitting in the audience'. I'm constantly in a very lonely place, no matter how much company I have. But there are long periods when this isn't the case..I do have both medical and non medical help,and I need it...simple as that....no shame.
I've tried to send this by pm, but I'm crap at this stuff,feel free to contact me ( I CAN do replies).
Best Wishes, Tenners.
Adrianisournumber1

Submitted a bid to Anwar will keep you updated as and when i hear
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

As the husband of a wife who has suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts, I have always come back to this thread. The support and guidance from people is incredible to see and I can only echo the sentiment of talking. My wife had hit crisis point which meant we were provided with a very high level of health care which still remains to this day but I have also seen how incredibly under-funded this area is meaning that not everyone will be as fortunate. I must confess, before going through this journey with my wife I was very close-minded on this subject but I have come full circle and can only say how much I admire the courage of those that continue to speak up. This is in no way meant as condescending; it just truly inspires me as I have seen first hand just how difficult what is perceived as the smallest thing can be or the anxiety and stress it can cause. I’m more of a lurker but should anybody wish to talk privately via message then please do.

For those that are interested, I wanted to share this free open university course on understanding anxiety and depression: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unders ... ty-3079991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Top post ChzMff. It can't be easy watching someone you love go through this and not know why. You took it by the horns and learnt more about it. Well done.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

sorry to be a burden again, but something has hit again
cant seem to concentrate on much of anything that isnt escapism (playing computer games etc)

asked friends for chats and nights out and been turned down or not replied to , might seem minor but a group i am involved in had out pictures done the other day had them emailed over and mine was left off which hurt like a bitch , probably just an oversight.

witnessed a car crash yesterday so called the police (took ten minutes to get through) then got a load of verbal of one of the people involved, ok she was probably in shock but it made me think, sod it why bother with people.

really want to curl up in bed and not move for weeks, sometimes i just want to be heard and held
S-H

Post by S-H »

ToiletDuck wrote:sorry to be a burden again
Never, ever think that you are a burden to anyone TD, and if anyone ever intentionally makes you feel that way, then quite frankly they can f*** off, talking and sharing is not a burden on anyone, especially on here.

Really sorry to hear of your struggles mate, have you tried calling any of the many helplines and charities that have been posted on here?

I can recommend through personal experience that https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/ is a good place to start.

My PM's are always open to you or anyone, that just wants to talk, or share as little or as much as they want.

Take care.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

thanks somerset,

i spoke to the doctor about it and they are arranging some 'help' but thats not for at least another 3 weeks and i saw the doc about a month ago,

i tried MIND a while ago and was told to go on a walk as that would help , will give them a whirl again in a bit

the burden bit comes from never feeling good enough or worthy , i went and did a NLP thing to try and help with procrastination and it did help to a certain extent but cant shake the feeling of never being quite good enough, same with job interviews i get the the last 2 then its "oh we went with the other guy" , been looking at a new car and dont even get the calls returned from the garages
S-H

Post by S-H »

None of what you are saying is down to not being good enough or not worthy, of course you are good enough and most definitely worthy, we all are in our own way, rejection for an interview is never easy to take, and is only made worse by the low opinions that you have for yourself, sadly rejection is part of life and as cruel as it may sound, it's not a slight on you or your personality, it just means for one reason or another you weren't the right fit, the fact you got to the last two means that you were thought of much higher than those who didn't make it that far, for all you know that job might not have been the right fit for you, just remember that there is a job out there for you, it's just a matter of finding it. As for the garages not calling back, that's just a sign of the times, people who say they will do something but just can't be ****ed to do it, its just rudeness and is all too common nowadays, so f*** them your money is as good as anyone's so take your business else, it's their loss not yours.

These are all traits that you can overcome, the more you believe in yourself the more you will notice others believing in you too.

:thup:
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

PM sent TD
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Seems there is a possibility of criminal charges against two coppers involved in the death of Dalian Atkinson.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

ToiletDuck wrote:sod it why bother with people.
bingo.
no good deed ever goes unpunished.

most people you'll ever meet will only want to exploit you for their own good. f*** them.
"friends" that are always friends, except when you need them. f*** them.

chances are you are much better and "worthy" than them. as Lemmy used to say, don't let 'em grind ya down!

with very few exceptions, we need other people, but not just any people.
we hang on far too much to broken relationships, for whatever reason. but if it doesn't work, you really have to fix it.
i know it's easier said than done, but for a species with fantastic adaptability, it's incredible how much we hate change!

not sure this is actually of any help :think: sorry