Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by sutts07 »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Agree entirely with Crouchend. He isn't very technical nor mobile.
[youtube]<iframe width="958" height="539" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qiQ6xPsZjPc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Mobility and technique look decent in this clip...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I scored an overhead kick once and I was a centre back that no-one (least of all me) would claim i had technical skills or was mobile

He is a professional footballer, of course he has a degree of technical ability, which once in a blue moon will be evidenced

That doesn't mean that the statement 'he isn't very technical or mobile' isn't applicable

He is probably one of the least mobile strikers I have ever seen, in terms of movement off the ball
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Patito wrote:
No, it was Arnautovic the striker who scored and assisted the goals and is continuing to do so, as a striker.

I see you've changed your answer from Carroll to Moyes already Image
I haven’t changed my answer, I was just giving a third option.

As i’ve been saying, I love what Arnie is doing for us over the last 12 months.

But I’ll still stand by my statement that Andy Carroll is the best striker at the club at the moment. Arnie is playing in a new position and still has lots to learn... he really could become an absolute beast of a striker if he starts thinking as a natural striker (again if he does, he won’t be with us for much longer).

I find it strange that people will moan about Andy Carroll, he is what he is. If he stayed fit he wouldn’t be playing for us. What happens when he scores? Do these people who moan about him not celebrate? Do they not sing “doo doo doo dooo Andy Carroll”?
Row X

Post by Row X »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I scored an overhead kick once and I was a centre back that no-one (least of all me) would claim i had technical skills or was mobile

He is a professional footballer, of course he has a degree of technical ability, which once in a blue moon will be evidenced

That doesn't mean that the statement 'he isn't very technical or mobile' isn't applicable

He is probably one of the least mobile strikers I have ever seen, in terms of movement off the ball
I suggest you watch him solely for 10-15 minutes the next time you see him play, he’s hardly an oil tanker. He gets around the pitch, he goes out wide, he gets battered by two or three defenders, he goes back to defend set peices and usually wins everything back there as well.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Row X wrote:
I haven’t changed my answer, I was just giving a third option.

As i’ve been saying, I love what Arnie is doing for us over the last 12 months.

But I’ll still stand by my statement that Andy Carroll is the best striker at the club at the moment. Arnie is playing in a new position and still has lots to learn... he really could become an absolute beast of a striker if he starts thinking as a natural striker (again if he does, he won’t be with us for much longer).

I find it strange that people will moan about Andy Carroll, he is what he is. If he stayed fit he wouldn’t be playing for us. What happens when he scores? Do these people who moan about him not celebrate? Do they not sing “doo doo doo dooo Andy Carroll”?

Right, well IMO Arnie played a much bigger part in keeping us up than Carroll, it’s not even a contest so I find it very odd you tried to suggest Carroll kept us up and have now changed your mind.

Carroll has never put together a 12 month period of goals and assists in the Premier League like Arnautovic has. He’s scored and assisted around 20 goals in the last 25 games it’s obscene. He makes runs in behind, he is seriously rapid, he gets the ball and runs at the opposition. Carroll is better in the air, he’s a monster in the air, but that is absolutely all he has over Arnautovic.

We could argue the toss about whether Arnie is a ‘natural’ striker or not. Plenty of players get moved into a more central attacking position after playing on the wing for years, Cristiano Ronaldo is the most obvious example. But whether he is best as a striker or a winger, either way he’s a much better centre forward than Andy Carroll has ever been for us. Once Carroll is fully fit, there’s not a chance Arnautovic will be dropped to accommodate him.

Ps. I haven’t moaned at Andy Carroll and I think he’s a good player, I just find it laughable that you’re trying to make out he’s better than one of the best strikers in the league, going on form over the past year.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:One of the biggest myths is that he is actually a top quality player. He really isn't. He can attack a perfectly floated cross, but that is his only real above average skill

He is the archetypal flat track bully who can be effective at home to fairly crap teams, but completely ineffective against anyone half decent or away from home (one game against a very defensively weak Arsenal excepted, as i know someone will bang on about that)

Analysis of his goal haul and comparison of pointage and team goals scored when on the pitch vs when he isn't will prove the above, which is even more striking given we have had such a paucity of other striking options in the majority of his time since he has been here. He hasn't made us a better team, or a more successful team, even when the other options have been pretty crap

Thankfully (hopefully), only 8 months more to go...
Don't think it's a myth, just one perspective. On the contrary, I think he's underappreciated for just how much ability he actually has. It's all academic anyway, cos the silly **** is very rarely fully fit!

I think had he been fully fit for most of his time with us, he'd be a real cult hero, and lauded in the same manner as Evertonians rave about Duncan Ferguson. I never saw him play, but maybe even another David Cross. For me, Carroll is the career that never was. How much fault that is of Carroll himself, I'll never know.
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Amazes me that people (me included) still waste time talking about this **** that has stolen a living off West Ham.
He doesn't like football, never has, and what Nile Ranger says (loon that he is) is pretty much bang on the money
I was thinking the same thing. it doesn't matter what type of player he is because he doesn't play. he currently serves no purpose at our club and it will be good that his time here is coming to an end soon.

luckily, we've thought ahead for a change and we now have jack to take his place for the next few years.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Row X wrote:.
But I’ll still stand by my statement that Andy Carroll is the best striker at the club at the moment.
Are you saying if both were fit for the rest of the season you’d start Carroll over Arnie as our main striker?
Last edited by stu1 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

I shall try to remember Andy for some truly iconic goals and moments.

But that image will likely be diluted by the memory of him being an utter waste of space and unprofessional, albeit sometimes likeable, person.
Row X

Post by Row X »

stu1 wrote:
Are you saying if both were fit for the rest of the season you’d start Carroll over Arnie as our main striker?
Why can we only play one?

If we could only play one up top, Carroll 100%, with Arnie in behind as the 10. They would scare the life out of any defence in the league.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

no shyte...because Carroll would be playing in a wheelchair or on crutches...
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Row X wrote: Why can we only play one?

If we could only play one up top, Carroll 100%, with Arnie in behind as the 10. They would scare the life out of any defence in the league.
Carroll 100% :shock:

Utter madness.

Carroll isn’t capable of producing what Arnie has over the last 12 months. Thankfully I’m sure Pellers know this and so if Carroll can miraculously manage to get fit he’ll be limited to sub appearances only.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Funny how so many are quite happy to have such anger, bile and resentment towards Carroll and yet Dean Ashton is seen as a West Ham great. Are they not comparable?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

:? I always thought Ashton was a bit overrated but not sure how they are comparable at all.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

ashton was fine until his England call up and then in a few years he was finished. carroll just goes on and on screwing the club for 90k a week and a few appearances a season. if we give him any contract I despair as we need him out of the club asap.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 1633 likes

Post by chalks »

Andy Carroll for whatever reasons, whether it’s injury, lifestyle, dedication or attitude, has had a stop start career. Which is a real shame, and a real waste.

Personally think that when he has been fully fit, he’s one of the top 3-4 strikers of his type in Europe

Will always be a frustration and a shame that he was never able to have a full, injury free season or two
Patito

Post by Patito »

Georgee Paris wrote:Funny how so many are quite happy to have such anger, bile and resentment towards Carroll and yet Dean Ashton is seen as a West Ham great. Are they not comparable?

I don’t hate Carroll, I don’t see Ashton as a great either. I’d imagine Ashton is seen in a more favourable light by some because he wasn’t on the piss constantly.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote::? I always thought Ashton was a bit overrated but not sure how they are comparable at all.
Only that DEAN ASHTON scored 33 goals in just THREE YEARS! and never looked clumsy at 6ft 2" it took Carroll 6 YEARS! to score the same.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

chalks wrote:Andy Carroll for whatever reasons, whether it’s injury, lifestyle, dedication or attitude, has had a stop start career. Which is a real shame, and a real waste.

Personally think that when he has been fully fit, he’s one of the top 3-4 strikers of his type in Europe

Will always be a frustration and a shame that he was never able to have a full, injury free season or two

This^^ This 100% ^^^ :crest:
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

jaybs wrote:Only that DEAN ASHTON scored 33 goals in just THREE YEARS! and never looked clumsy at 6ft 2" it took Carroll 6 YEARS! to score the same.
33 goals? Does that include goals in training? :?