Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Essex has been the hotbed of male grooming for a while now

Very poor turn of events
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... dwide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Essex has been the hotbed of male grooming for a while now
This comment was very misleading until I read back!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

when i was attempting some optimism about the stadium, i had the idea of the narrow streets of fish island in hackney wick pouring with irons flank ed by all the traditional green street trappings.

it never happened though.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

That's what the bowl and surrounding area lack; soul. no street traders, nothing
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Brady will face the London Assembly Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee on Wednesday afternoon at 2.30pm

Live feed when it happens
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Essex has been the hotbed of male grooming for a while now

Very poor turn of events
I also had to give this one a double take
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45837613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where’s the public outcry over the other clubs who are fleecing the tax payer too? For example Tottenham who got over £1m free policing last season.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Other Clubs pay for stewarding and we don’t.

Our stewarding and policing costs comes to circa £100k per match so the taxpayer spends around twice as much on us for that than they do for any other Club.

Edit - that figure was pre Burnley and went up enormously.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

aaronhammer wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45837613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where’s the public outcry over the other clubs who are fleecing the tax payer too? For example Tottenham who got over £1m free policing last season.
Totally miss-leading piece .... Tottenham pay to lease Wembley, just as we pay to lease the LS ... Wembley National Stadium Ltd (WNSL) pay the internal policing costs at Wembley, just as ultimately the GLA pays the internal policing costs at the London Stadium .... these amount to less than 5% of the total police costs of match-day coverage ....

Leeds won a landmark High Court case in 2012 since which time all football clubs are only liable for the cost of policing within the 'footprint' of their ground .... so two-fifths of bugger all ....

No club WHU, Spurs, Accrington Stanley are treated any differently ....
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Looking at that graph for policing London football, I see it costs more to police Millwall's 12,000 fans than it does for WHU 45,000
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

The LS is 99.8% full all the time, according to the Club:

https://talksport.com/football/431725/h ... is-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Reminds me of when Kim Jong Il reportedly shot 18 playing a round of golf.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Doc H Ball wrote:Other Clubs pay for stewarding and we don’t.

Our stewarding and policing costs comes to circa £100k per match so the taxpayer spends around twice as much on us for that than they do for any other Club.

Edit - that figure was pre Burnley and went up enormously.
Does the tax payer know that they are paying for four stewards to spend 90 minutes watching corner flags every match just in case someone else tries to repeat history again?
nickstanley66

Post by nickstanley66 »

Would people have been happy to move to Stratford if it was a purpose built Football ground?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

nickstanley66 wrote:Would people have been happy to move to Stratford if it was a purpose built Football ground?
Personally I'd say Yes, it would have helped. But for me it's as much about the surrounding area and effort to include that in the migration that's a part of the problem.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Some people still wouldn't be happy if we did a Man City and owned the place, converted it and put a world class team inside it.

They are well within their right to be unhappy too. The West Ham we know and love has long gone.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

nickstanley66 wrote:Would people have been happy to move to Stratford if it was a purpose built Football ground?
I think so, I would still miss the Boleyn/the area and what made west ham west ham.
I think most could swallow a move if it was without any doubt an upgrade but this stadium isn't its one of the worst in the league.
any move should have been to a stadium only for us, designed by us to make it as west ham as possible
nickstanley66

Post by nickstanley66 »

sutts07 wrote:Some people still wouldn't be happy if we did a Man City and owned the place, converted it and put a world class team inside it.

They are well within their right to be unhappy too. The West Ham we know and love has long gone.
I raise the point looking at the thread football grounds gone but never forgotten, thinking about Sunderland at Roker park to the Stadium of Light they seem to be ok with it

West Ham we know and love haven't long gone, they are just hibernating and will come back
Ben wrote: I think so, I would still miss the Boleyn/the area and what made west ham west ham.
I think most could swallow a move if it was without any doubt an upgrade but this stadium isn't its one of the worst in the league.
any move should have been to a stadium only for us, designed by us to make it as west ham as possible
The Stadium does need work and i think we can make it work the LLDC are slowly going down the pan.
I'm looking forward to Bradys Q&A with the London Assembly in the next couple of weeks after the LLDC Q&A farce
The area will become more and more like a home for us
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

nickstanley66 wrote:The area will become more and more like a home for us
A prison cell will eventually become a home for someone with a life sentence.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Having now visited the LS a couple of more times (including the Man U game) I know from experience that there is no real West Ham future in this stadium.
We will probably face a crossroads soon - an AFC somewhere else, or a new West Ham full of happy clappers and day trippers who have scant knowledge of what we were.

Some stated the place was really rocking at the Man U game. I think for that stadium, it probably was and maybe as good as it can get. But it was nothing, nothing in comparison to similar games at the old place. How can it be? At present there is very little "West Ham" about the place. Other than a few flags, there's no claret & blue inside the bowl. The electronic noticeboard that separates the tiers has a blue background and advertises everything but West Ham.

West Ham the team, West Ham the fans, and West Ham the club, just turn up every now and then, and go away again to the ether. This is certainly no home to a football club.

Bubbles is the only song that the stadium can sing in one voice. This is because those singing are so spread out, it's the only song that can be recognised by others elsewhere willing to join in. This is same reason that the happy clap is growing in popularity.

Should the club continue to resist the need to allow a suitable "singing" section, things will gradually get worse.

That said, the opposition over the next couple of games gives an opportunity to rekindle some spirit.

Hopefully it will.