Leicester City 1-1 West Ham Utd (27/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Re: ⚽ Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/10)

Post by OohAahButler »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Regarding Anderson. I don't go to games anymore - not that it necessarily confers on one a special insight but I do feel it gives one a good impression of certain things about a player that the TV camera doesn't always pick up - so, having only watched about 4 or 5 games so far on the box this season, what do folk think is the answer to getting the most out of him? Is it where we play him/don't play him? Is it more down to him to roll his sleeves up, or perhaps make adjustments to his own style of play for the greater good of the team?
He’s a real conundrum, and the exact opposite to what I was expecting. I’ve made a point of watching him closely at the games I’ve been to (only at home) and been pleasantly surprised at how hard he works, his willingness to track back etc. On the other hand, I think his touch and his end product has been very poor...so many misplaced passes. And those corners last weekend! So the opposite of the archetypal luxury player I thought we’d be getting.

I wonder if it’s purely a confidence thing. Maybe he just needs to find his mojo and suddenly we’ll have a player on our hands. For the time being, I think he’s working hard enough that I’m prepared to be patient and give him the benefit of the doubt.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Frustrating again that we've come away with less than we deserved. We've only been the worst side against Liverpool and second half of Bournemouth so far this season but don't have the rewards to show for it. We are playing really well recently looking both defensively solid and in control of the game/possession. Injuries have obviously hurt us as usual and we have also lost the most amount of points from winning positions out of the whole league. Any news on why Arnie wasnt playing? Was it his knee? At least Obiang is back so central midfield should be okay for the next few games although someone else will probably get injured.I think next season could be a big one once everyone is back and ready and if we invest in LB and CM. Finally RIP to all those involved in the crash.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

richneal wrote:I 'm beginning to doubt that Ogbonna will ever make it as centre forward
:lol:

If that had been a league cup game he’d have had 2!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

@bowltorius

Arnie had a virus.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I thought we played okay again despite going down to 10 and given the thinness of our squad.

Good on MP for playing Grady from the start over his signing Perez and the enigmatic Antonio. He is a brave refreshing manager.

Fabianski, The General, Diop, Pablo and Rice have formed an excellent defence. The LB confines to be a problem though with clearly neither Arthur nor Cresswell convincing the manager.

I’ve not seen the red card back but Noble increasingly lunges and would probably have been dropped but for injuries to Sanchez and Obiang. CM looks tricky for the next few games.

Up top I thought Hernandez did alright on his own but hope that’s not the plan in the absence of Arnie. He has to play with another striker. Thought Antonio did excellently when he came on. He created a few clear chances at the end and was running direct at goal rather than in the circles of his mind.

WTF was Ogbonna doing in the last minute? We had a few players in the box and it falls to a bloody CH to sky it. That should’ve been the winner.

So, we’ve played well the past few games and come away with 1 point. Had Carroll been fit to come off the bench I honestly think we might have had 6. I’m as fed up with his absenteeism as anyone, but we need him badly.

A word about the Leicester fans closest to the away section on our left - they are a motley bunch eager to spark trouble and I can’t believe the inaction taken against them. If that was our block 113 then pictures would be plastered all over the place. What happened after the game and what could have been makes all that behaviour look like the brainless idiocy it is.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

Al wrote:Nobes does too many high one footed lunges like today. I’m surprised he hasn’t received more cards and caused more injuries to be honest
This
Graza

Post by Graza »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Regarding Anderson. I don't go to games anymore - not that it necessarily confers on one a special insight but I do feel it gives one a good impression of certain things about a player that the TV camera doesn't always pick up - so, having only watched about 4 or 5 games so far on the box this season, what do folk think is the answer to getting the most out of him? Is it where we play him/don't play him? Is it more down to him to roll his sleeves up, or perhaps make adjustments to his own style of play for the greater good of the team?
Too early to say. He's not adapted to the league yet. You can see he still thinks he'll get to take 3/4 touches before he has to face anyone, he also seems to think it's a non contact sport at times.

When he gets his touches right he shows glimpses of being what we want him to be but it must be said his set pieces, specifically the corners at home against Spurs last week were not good enough.

I reckon that come the end of the season, particularly when he gets to play off Lanzini for a while, he will have settled and start to look the part.

At his price we are well within our rights to want him to fit and play straight away but many players take a season to get settled.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote: So, we’ve played well the past few games and come away with 1 point. Had Carroll been fit to come off the bench I honestly think we might have had 6. I’m as fed up with his absenteeism as anyone, but we need him badly.
He's played for us 6 times in the league in 2018 and scored 3 goals. He makes a difference when he is on the pitch.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Imagine where we would be if we had a goal scoring striker.....now and over the last few years!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
He's played for us 6 times in the league in 2018 and scored 3 goals. He makes a difference when he is on the pitch.
All three goals against teams who got relegated. He hasn't scored against a half decent side for about 18 months
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

All I can say Crouchy is that I can think of a dozen chances this season he would’ve gobbled up had he not been on Instagram instead.

When he is ‘fit’ I'd not play him from the start, but we have no better impact sub.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I actually thought we played really well I honestly thought it was better than Everton.
Hernandez, Antonio and Anderson all did ok I thought not great but better than their previous performances
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I thought everyone worked hard. Antonio I thought did well when he came on. It’s a difficult job he had to do, and he still caused their defenders problems. We need him at the moment and he needs to maintain that level of effort.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Thought young grady deserves a big shout,
Cleary has a good football brain as you could see he was carrying out instructions he had been given, apart from his potentially costly run and ball across back line he looks extremely comfortable considering that was gus first start. With more minutes will come more confidence and looks the type that will always put a big shift in.
Well done young man.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: All three goals against teams who got relegated. He hasn't scored against a half decent side for about 18 months
The old wrong kind of goals argument.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

With reference to Hernandez, I've just sat through the entire first half again.

9 touches in total, 3 of which resulted in the ball being received by another WHU player.. Two of his touches were after Nobles departure, none of his touches worked their keeper, one of his touches created an opportunity for another WHU player.

Throughout he lacked the strength to really hold off defenders, or pace to get away from them.

I'll watch the 2nd half later, but I hardly think it likely his contribution will be greater. Antonio, in contrast I suspect did rather more in the 30 minutes he was given.

As an aside, Rice was excellent in the first half.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

the pink palermo wrote:He's played for us 6 times in the league in 2018 and scored 3 goals. He makes a difference when he is on the pitch.
He certainly does.

We play appalling football.

Obsessively knocking Hernandez, but pining for Carroll. Weird stuff Pinky.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

e17 wrote:

Obsessively knocking Hernandez, but pining for Carroll. Weird stuff Pinky.
Not really. Hernandez can't do the job this team needs to be done, Carroll can at least do part of it when fit.

I'd always have Carroll as an impact sub, sometimes it's needs must, but I get the impression that many want to see Hernandez, not because he is any good, but because he isn't Carroll.

I don't believe Hernandez contributes anywhere near sufficiently outside of the box to merit a start or even a bench place if we're at full strength. He may be great for Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal, but not for us.
We looked immeasurably better (when down to 10 men) yesterday when Antonio came on, simply because he is stronger, the ball stopped coming back at us quite as easily. And Antonio is a player I'd sell.

Serious question to those who rated Hernandez yesterday, how exactly did he positively impact our play ?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I don't think he was great yesterday. However he certainly wasn't awful, not by a long shot.

He battled manfully against some big lumps, made some decent runs and kept possession as much as he could.

We won't be playing like we did yesterday when Arnie and Obiang are back, and hopefully we won't have 10 men too often, so Hernandez will be much more suitable.

He is certainly much more suited to the way Pelligrini wants to the play to than Carroll, and I think (and of course I can't be certain) he is in pelligrini''s first choice team

The job this team needs is a striker with great movement who can finish. That is exactly what hernandez is. We don't need a striker to hold the ball up in majority of games when Arnie and Anderson are on the pitch
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

the pink palermo wrote:
Not really. Hernandez can't do the job this team needs to be done, Carroll can at least do part of it when fit.

I'd always have Carroll as an impact sub, sometimes it's needs must, but I get the impression that many want to see Hernandez, not because he is any good, but because he isn't Carroll.

I don't believe Hernandez contributes anywhere near sufficiently outside of the box to merit a start or even a bench place if we're at full strength. He may be great for Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal, but not for us.
We looked immeasurably better (when down to 10 men) yesterday when Antonio came on, simply because he is stronger, the ball stopped coming back at us quite as easily. And Antonio is a player I'd sell.

Serious question to those who rated Hernandez yesterday, how exactly did he positively impact our play ?
He made good runs, he drew defensive attention, he got in good spaces to receive the ball. His run was a big part of the goal, lost his man so Rice's defender had to chase him, leaving Rice unguarded less than15 yards out.
He was less effective down a man, as you'd expect since he had no service and was isolated. Overall though he played very well early and put in a good effort.