The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by hessa »

I'd say that a club members handicap is a far more accurate assessment of your ability than a society handicap.
Firstly, in handicap qualifying events your playing off white tees. Some holes not a major difference, on others quite a lot tougher. I always expect to score much better playing off the yellow tees than the whites.
You will also be playing Medal for most qualifying events which is a much tougher format than Stableford, where you have a bad hole and simply walk away with a blob on your card, not an 8 which hinders your card for the rest of the round.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I was only taking the piss out of Mumbles, just made me laugh he bit :) He is playing good golf, his riposte should have been to ask how I am playing and I would have replied "like a ****".

In our lot, anyone hits handicap & above get proper slaughtered and gets cut for next round. We take the shot in golf serious, quiet etc (well most of the time), but our golf group is just about having a laugh and taking the p as much as we possibly can. Anyone who bites to it, well, you can imagine...
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Brentwood today
29 points

Started par par then not much else

But enjoyed

Was a 1 handicapper in one the groups today .. wow
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

played in a society comp on friday and we won at Mill Ride - 2 best scores on each hole count and i scored on 14 of them for the team. 32 points in total for me - team score 85

then played stapleford abbots on sunday and was dogshit on the back 9
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

oh & a MASSIVE bite from mumbles 8-)
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:oh & a MASSIVE bite from mumbles 8-)
It’s ok I’ve had my snickers now
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Crews hill today... defo fancy going back again.. 24 points but that wind was tough.. lovely course

one my PP played very well, he kept playing this low 5 iron about 3 foot off the ground but kept the distance long.. proper kept it under the wind.. joy to watch

considering 3 of us have just done 7 nights it was good to play half decent lol
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^ Ball back in your stance near your right foot (assuming you're right handed), plenty of forward shaft lean, grip down and don't overswing :thup:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^^ Ball back in your stance near your right foot (assuming you're right handed), plenty of forward shaft lean, grip down and don't overswing :thup:
Was good to watch

Constant “discussion” about yardage left lol his garmin (£400) was always 10 yards shorter than my bushnell gps (£110) ironically my bushnell and phone agreed as did the tee boxes when on tee

I’d be asking for my money back lol
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

:D

They could be different due to measuring to the front or middle of the green. My Garmin (Approach G6) is within a yard when I park it over the 150 markers on my local course, the manual says distances are to the middle.

That low runner shot is great at the moment when it's windy, there's still plenty of run on the fairways. Not so good if it's as wet as last winter, when the ball stopped where it landed.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote::D

They could be different due to measuring to the front or middle of the green. My Garmin (Approach G6) is within a yard when I park it over the 150 markers on my local course, the manual says distances are to the middle.

That low runner shot is great at the moment when it's windy, there's still plenty of run on the fairways. Not so good if it's as wet as last winter, when the ball stopped where it landed.
It was 10 yards tho

My middle was his back lol

But when on the tee on the yellow marker mine was what the hole said and his was 10 yards short lol plus he came up short a bit lol
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Woolston manor yesterday

Shame to see it in such poor condition

Plus the work men were bibbing there horns all time very annoying. One dumped earth on my
Mates ball lol most funny

22 points, was in a match play tho. He was much better out the sand than I was
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

mumbles87 wrote:Brentwood today
29 points

Started par par then not much else

But enjoyed

Was a 1 handicapper in one the groups today .. wow
Played Brentwood today so 3 weeks difference

Didn’t start par par.. started triple and bogey

But 39 points lol all my lay ups went well

I do love Brentwood. Only 3rd time I’ve played but think it’s lovely
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Played at Hever yesterday. Lovely course and glorious weather, shame about the golf although it was on a mates's corporate membership so was free. The 11th, 12th and 13th are great holes. Highlight was my 297 yard drive on the 10th. putted OK put nothing dropped. Think that's me done til after Christmas due to work.

Started planning for a mega trip to the US for March 2020. Planning on a week in Myrtle Beach and a week in Orlando with a road trip in the middle.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Hever is very nice. Played there last year on a lads weekend. Decent hotel and food too for 100 quid for two rounds of golf, dinner, bed and breakfast.

If I remember correctly, the green on the 3rd is quite difficult to land on as it is uphill but everything slopes off?.
hessa

Post by hessa »

Played the monthly medal yesterday and got cut from 16.6 (17) to 15.4 (15).

Well happy with that.

Well, until my next round anyway when I'll be thinking that's another 2 holes I don't get a shot on!
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1021 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

You must have played to about 8 to get that sharp a cut, nice going. Its too late in the year for us to have qualifiers so everything is being won by the bandits that have spent all summer massaging their handicaps now.
hessa

Post by hessa »

Thanks, I had a pretty decent round. Still managed a good few f*ck ups. What was really frustrating is that I was playing well, keeping the ball on the fairway, but thinned a wedge when in a great position a couple of times which cost me. Also took a flyer out of a greenside bunker on the 15th and carded a 9 on a par 5. But I got eight pars and a birdie. Hopefully I'll push on from this, but probably I'll be back to 16 after my next comp! :lol:
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

That's good going mate.

I've been playing for 5 years and only just recently (last year or so) started scoring between 21-28 as a gross score.

I usually get 3 or 4 pars a round and a birdie every 5 rounds but trying to do it all on one day over a whole round is the trick/trouble.

I find my scores aren't very typical of how well I play,if that makes sense to others?.

I had a dire round strike rise last week, hitting it as bad as I have done for a year but still scored 29 over for the round. Other times I strike it well but my approach shots not close enough to limit the two putts.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1021 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

hessa wrote:Thanks, I had a pretty decent round. Still managed a good few f*ck ups. What was really frustrating is that I was playing well, keeping the ball on the fairway, but thinned a wedge when in a great position a couple of times which cost me. Also took a flyer out of a greenside bunker on the 15th and carded a 9 on a par 5. But I got eight pars and a birdie. Hopefully I'll push on from this, but probably I'll be back to 16 after my next comp! :lol:
Is it a society handicap? the official ones come down .3 per shot under HC but only go back up .1 at a time max. I'm still paying the price for a good spell a couple of years ago lol