CCR4: West Ham Utd 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread

Post by costa75 »

I'm surprised to see people posting that they thought we played o.k........

I thought we were shockingly bad. Everything about the night was s**t.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Briggsy wrote:
The toilet bowl is starting to become a bit of a dump now as well. Graffiti in the toilets, 1 bog in the bobby Moore lower which has been over-flowing since the Chelsea game, no card machines, bird **** over my mates seat for 3 years, pitch invasions and so on. Can't see any major events wanting to host events when the place is looking like a skip. Although the place seems to be slowly being destroyed naturally, which is quite a nice feeling!
I don't know what is going on but in block 127 there is a sewer type smell, I noticed it last time we played Spurs too although I don't think it's them.

****ing stinks
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The battle of the reserves indeed, but in fairness Tottenham had a couple of top drawer players in theirs.

The Tottenham Manager was clearly using this game to get a few of his senior reserves fit - Eriksen, Ali and Son - three players who would start for most top half clubs most weeks. Our manager on the other hand was shuffling his pack, shorn of real options in key positions. The lack of squad depth was our undoing.

Grady Diangana had a really good game, Rice too was decent and although Diop did well enough I feel he looks better with the experienced Balbuena alongside him. We change the backline and we ship goals, quelle surprise.

We created plenty of chances, had our fair share of the ball in the right areas of the pitch but looked like a scratch side , which to be fair is what we were. The goals we conceded were soft, a combination of individual errors and a lack of concentration. The good news is the manager knows his best XI, and several of tonights starters clearly aren't in it.

Overall I'm disappointed for the 50,000 who made the effort to turn up tonight. That's a very good crowd, and quite a few of them if they didn't know before know now what the Captain brings to this side. We missed him tonight, and we'll miss him, when he's gone.

We weren't bad we just weren't good enough, and to rub salt in the wounds we got caught up in all of the stop/ go nonsense. An hour and forty minutes to get home :thdn:
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Phil S wrote:
I don't know what is going on but in block 127 there is a sewer type smell, I noticed it last time we played Spurs too although I don't think it's them.

****ing stinks
Could smell it in both games in 132 too (pardon the pun!)
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

^

I think I read recently about a school being closed due to bad fumes around Stratford.
I assume it's related.

Very unpleasant
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Absolutely horrible tbf. I only noticed it tonight though. Even the woman in the pink hi vis had enough.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Humbug wrote:Just seen the highlights on Quest channel 144 and it looks like we actually dominated the game with lots of dangerous opportunities and half-chances, but their young centre-half got his foot in at the just the right moments. On another day we could have got a hatful but poor defending from Ogbonna for 2 goals and 1 from Arthur is inexcusable at this level. Ogbonna seems to have got worse than last season while Arthur always prone to brainless decision making. To be honest , Spuds had about 3 chances and took all of them clinically. One positive is that Antonio seems to have got his speed back and didn't look knackered after 15 mins.
No we didn't ... Spurs made 10 changes from the team that played EPL for them ... yes Dele and Erekson we're given 'fitness' time but it was pretty much Spurs reserves ...

Did we deserve more? not sure we did, it felt that Spurs we're never operating at more than 80% indeed when we did finally score how long before they got one more? .... this just felt like and indeed was like a good side beating a lesser side ...

Not our starting eleven so meh ... but just shows the lack of quality in the squad ...
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Do not think we deserved much out of the game last night. Spurs movement off the ball was at least one class above ours. They generally passed it better and had a shape and presence we lacked really until Arnie came on.

The likes of Son and Alli always wanted the ball, Erickson had the vision and skill to play the pass and in Loriente they had a forward who they could build off. Winks is also a quality act, a Noble with pace, gets the ball, sees the pass, plays it quick and simple but also with the ability to burst past a player.

First half only attacker on our side that was close was Diangana who, with Rice, was probably our best player on the night and the only real positive. Snodgrass showed more effort in his 5 minutes on the pitch than Anderson managed in his 45. Antonio improved as the game went on but he still exhibited a desire to try to run through people, his final ball or decision making was poor as was a lot of his tracking back.

Hernandez was as ineffectual as ever, thing is the minute he went off we created a chance that had he still been on he is likely to have scored from. More and more for me it is a question of whether the chance he may get a goal makes up for the lack of an overall contribution.

Their 3rd goal was a killer, not sure what Adrian was doing, seemed to think about coming for the ball then changed his mind. Ogbonna then totally bullied.

Yes the ref was poor but to think he made the difference is overlooking the deficiencies in our performance.
gravesendhammer

Post by gravesendhammer »

Classy away fans thought it was fun to throw coins into 217 after the second goal last night, got hit twice by them.

Sum.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I never want to see Hernandez play for us again. He's like playing a man light.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Sadly spurs were a class above us. We will always struggle as every week we have roughly 8 players out injured. This situation must be looked into it has blighted season after season and cannot be solely down to bad luck . All I want is to see a minimum of effort that is why players like snodgrass and to a degree Antonio can be excused . However I don't see that effort in hernandez or Anderson whose corner taking ability is pitiful
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Billydinho wrote:I never want to see Hernandez play for us again. He's like playing a man light.
Completely invisible, and it's got nothing to do with playing to his strengths. Even if a team isn't set up around you that doesn't mean you can't at least run.
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Worst game I have seen us play for a while and it is because our fringe players are next to useless. So many of last seasons issues were on display again when unsurprisingly, some of the players playing last night were considered first team.
Tottenham were very poor and we wasn't much better, they just managed to expose our lack of defending on the wings and hit us on the counter.

Adrian, cult hero for me but now purely sentimental. Not our no 1.
Ogbonna, don't know if he was ring rusty but not at the races.
Fredericks, not made the step up yet.
Obiang, not fit
Anderson, low on confidence. Actually thought he was giving it a go towards the end of the first half and was surprised he was taken off over Antonio.

Special mention to Antonio and Chica. SELL THEM! honestly disgusted with their contributions. They not only offered anything but actually hindered the team. Antonio started here like a blaze of fire. Thank you but time to go. Chica spends more time on his arse then he does in the box. I would honestly rather play youngsters then them two.

Don't think Perez wants to be here, didn't look thrilled with the goal and after the third goal he was arguing with Adrian.

I thought Rice, Diop and especially the lad on the wing (cannot spell) were good tonight. One of a few bright notes.
starting to love Snoddy, really gives it a go and I thought made a difference when he come on.

Tottenham fans still piss me off - "2-0 in your cup final..... bastards"

and the rib man didn't have rolls and sold out of chips...... all in all a night to forget
Last edited by Johnny_C WHU on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

some positives from the match rice, diop and diagana were good.
snoddy tried hard and arnie is back for Saturday.
fredericks didn't look too bad for a first game.

ogbonna was very poor and Arthur made a terrible mistake but was overall ok apart from that !

Anderson was awful. you can forgive players if they try and it doesn't work but he is lazy and cant take corners. needs to be dropped as its like playing with a man down with him. 40m , they saw us coming !
snoddy in for him for Saturday. take a decent corner and tries hard.

Hernandez was also awful and offers nothing. time to get rid of him as he offers nothing.

so we played with 9 men and two of those made bad mistakes for the goals.

atmosphere was good but that 3rd goal was a killer and the pubs were shut after the game !
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

gravesendhammer wrote:Classy away fans thought it was fun to throw coins into 217 after the second goal last night, got hit twice by them.

Sum.
No I can’t believe that. Tottenham fans don’t cause trouble, no doubt they were coins thrown by our own supporters which were then caught in the wind and came back at you. I’m sure if you take this further too you’ll be accused of hissing or running around a certain area of London with a certain part of anatomy hanging out, because Tottenham fans are innocent.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

They are the scum of London for sure. beat us easily as they controlled midfield for the most part. only threat we had was diagana, occasional Antonio surge forward and when arnie came on.

onto the next game please. don't want to see ogbonna Hernandez or Anderson starting.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I didn't think we were that bad last night. I certainly didn't think Sp*rs were any good. All three goals came from defensive mistakes and they only started controlling the game when their third went in.

Although we lost, still plenty of positives for me last night, & fingers crossed we've got those mistakes out of the system in one game ahead of the weekend.
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

The old adage about not making a substitution whilst defending a corner must equally apply to not choosing that moment to run onto the pitch, what a throbber................
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Sorry, ranting now...

I was really disappointed with the lack of urgency or passion last night. Even when midway through the first half the whole stadium stood to sing "stand up if you hate Tottenham". The players know what that game means to us and until the subs were made in the second half it looked like we couldn't be bothered, apart from Rice and Diangana.