Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Georgee Paris wrote:We were talking in the beer merchants tap after the last game and decided it’s really not that bad. In fact we are all quite happy now. I think playing good football has helped. I’d love for the configuration to be sorted out but we (our little group) now have accepted what it is. That’s our group - 7 of us in block 113.
It's all about where you sit at that place. 113 is probably the best block in the stadium for atmosphere and view.

Sitting in the upper tier is like being in a different postcode though. That's bearable if like Brendan you have paid £15 per game via a season ticket but for 1 match purchase you are looking at £30/£35 (plus booking fees) up in band 5 which is simply not value for money. At Upton Park you could sit pretty much anywhere and still feel involved with the exception of the back of the upper Rio.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

obviously never having set a foot inside the place, it doesn't come across on the telly as if it can EVER generate a decent enough atmosphere to "intimidate" our opposition.

and saying good football will improve it, I honestly fail to see that. yes, everyone wants winning football, but Shirley being closer to the field can only help even pisspoor football ?

even if you win, you either have to ask the blokes a bit closer "who scored" ( a la Trev at Wembley) or look at the big screen.

I know as tickets at concerts became more and more expensive and the ability to get a good seat was out of my price range OR I had to pay touts as no one could get closer seats than them, I found myself watching the big screen more than the stage.

the bigger the venue the more I watched the screen. I thought, "Sod this, I'm paying xxx dollars to watch a telly" so I stopped going...........

that's what it reminds me off.................
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

All seats further back than row 55 should be band 4 or 5 IMO. Sure you have a good view of the pitch but it really is like watching a game of Subbuteo being played in your back garden from an upstairs window.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I will never buy a tic ket for the upper seats as too far removed from the action. might as well watch on telly.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

hammerman11 wrote:I will never buy a tic ket for the upper seats as too far removed from the action. might as well watch on telly.
Not true. I sit in 232 having moved from 132 because of the standing. We are much happier with our view. We are also a lot happier if the football is good. If we get a successful team all of the other moans are just details.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

clawhammer wrote:Not true.
It is for HM11. You may disagree, but that doesn't make him wrong.

That I completely agree with him is utterly coincidental, of course...
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I'm with Hammerman on the upstairs/downstairs question. I moved from the upper to the lower after the first season and was instantly happier. Being near the corners helps too, I think, as you're that much closer to the pitch.

Each to their own, though. My old man prefers it upstairs because he likes to be able to see all the angles from all areas of the pitch.
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Up the Junction wrote:
That I completely agree with him is utterly coincidental, of course...
:)
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'm with ooh ahh butler's old man, I like to see an overview of the game. This is the point though, everybody likes something different as regards view
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I used to sit one row from the back in the old east stand now about half way up the new one. Tried both the lower tier and upper tier in the old Doc Martin, hated the lower tier and the view from the back rows of the Upper, loved the view about half way up the upper tier mind you.

It is all about personal preference, I would rather the pitch was closer to the stand and the stand had a straight edge as opposed to the curve yet I would not want to be lower than I am with little or no sense of perspective or higher when you might need Oxygen to reach the seat and are looking down on the match too much for me.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

goa127 wrote:I'm with ooh ahh butler's old man, I like to see an overview of the game. This is the point though, everybody likes something different as regards view
Our Gnome's preference too.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

The only part of the upper tier I’d sit / stand in given the choice would be either side of the away fans. Wouldn’t be interested in any other part of the ground. The lower tiers in each corner would always be my preference as they now are the closest to the action. But personally I prefer the atmosphere over view.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Georgee Paris wrote:The only part of the upper tier I’d sit / stand in given the choice would be either side of the away fans. Wouldn’t be interested in any other part of the ground. The lower tiers in each corner would always be my preference as they now are the closest to the action. But personally I prefer the atmosphere over view.

Totally opposite to me georgee, to me view is paramount, but obviously atmosphere matters. I was pl;eased with the atmosphere last week, big contrast to the spurs league game where it was a bit flat. I agree with the post which said they hated the lower tier in the old doc martins. I used to forgo a free ticket some weeks and pay to sit upstairs. (The free ticket was a sth who didn't like BFS football so only went sporadically)
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Each to their own. One thing we all agree on is that the stands need to be nearer the pitch !
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Georgee Paris wrote:The only part of the upper tier I’d sit / stand in given the choice would be either side of the away fans. Wouldn’t be interested in any other part of the ground. The lower tiers in each corner would always be my preference as they now are the closest to the action. But personally I prefer the atmosphere over view.
I’ve sat in the upper tier next to the away fans, behind the goal, about half way up. No standing, atmosphere not particularly different to anywhere else I’ve sat, and you can’t see anything at all at the other end of the pitch. One difference I did notice was that everyone stood for Bubbles, then immediately sat down. Didn’t stand again for the second lot of Bubbles at kick off (when it happens) or kick off itself. Only place in the ground I’ve seen where that happens.
gravesendhammer

Post by gravesendhammer »

Upper tier either side of away fans is good - only when the opposition have enough fans to take up the upper tier, mind. Think it's only the top 6, London clubs and Newcastle that have consistently taken the full allocation since the move. Burnley's away following was rather tragic.
Pulls up Trees
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

For those interested, I have raised the consistent sewage smell coming from the South East corner of the stadium with Newham Council. The reference number is ENQ2982603.

It's been 3 weeks now, beginning with the Tottenham game on the 20th October.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Pulls up Trees wrote:For those interested, I have raised the consistent sewage smell coming from the South East corner of the stadium with Newham Council. The reference number is ENQ2982603.
Nice one, Pulls. Please let us know when you hear back. :thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Pulls up Trees wrote:I have raised the consistent sewage smell coming from the South East corner of the stadium with Newham Council.
Ironic that is where the majority of our old Chav Corner fans decided to migrate to.

Chav Corner >>> Stinky Section
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Our Gnome's preference too.[/quote]

Fortunately, he's on the opposite side to me