Greatest Sports Personality of the Year (West Ham related)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Greatest Sports Personality of the Year (West Ham related)

Postby OFT on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 pm

personality
1.the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
character · nature · disposition · temperament · make-up · persona
2.a celebrity or famous person.
celebrity · VIP · star · superstar · celebutante · name · famous name ·
OFT

Postby Vic_Watson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Interesting to see how many people know Andy so well.
Vic_Watson

Postby sutts07 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 pm

I fail to see how is Andy Murray is any more deserving than Rory McIlroy to be honest. Certainly not the 'best' British Sports star ever. McIlroy was world number one for 95 weeks and has won four majors... plus he is still going strong.

I get the Hamilton argument re him being in the best car, but still think he has been unbelievable. Also agree with many that Redgrave achieved an unbelievable feat.

Murray gets more media attention and hype by virtue of all other British tennis players being so s**t for the last eighty odd years. He isn't close to being one of the best players of his generation though. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic would all be considered far better in most people's eyes, just look at the number of Grand Slams. Had we produced a few other decent players in the last century the hysteria around Murray wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is. Had he won a few more Grand Slams it might be justified.

If you ask a Spaniard this question they will inevitably come up with names such as Ballasteros, Nadal and Alonso. McIlroy is already pushing Seve with a fair chunk of his career ahead of him, Hamilton has already eclipsed Alonso but Murry isn't close to Nadal.

Bobby Moore absolutely deserves to be mentioned in the running for this as he is one of the only England players that would be considered the best ever (ask Pele) and would get close to a greatest XI of all time.

That said, you'd also have to question how strongly the nation would feel had we achieved a bit more in football over the last 60 odd years too. Had we won it in 90 and Robson stayed fit would he be up there with Mooreo? Would Lineker and Gascoigne be up there had things gone differently. Would Beckham be a shoe in had Brazil not scored a fluke goal and we had somehow gone on to win it in in Korea 2002...? We'd have beaten Turkey in the semi and Germany were not a powerhouse back then so there is every chance.

Fact is, none of those things happened so Moore rightly stands head and shoulders above the rest in the English game.
sutts07

Postby Vic_Watson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Golf's another non-sport. Do those guys even break sweat?

And didn't McIlroy refuse to represent GB in the last Olympics? Hardly fit to be SPOTY.
Vic_Watson

Postby sutts07 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Vic_Watson wrote:Hardly fit to be SPOTY.

As is Murray IMO
sutts07

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 pm

No way should it be Andy Murray. I remember his response to be asked by a presenter, how he felt having won Wimbedon........ In that deadpan way of his, with no smile, or any other outward sign of emotion. " I'm over the moon about it " Boring b*stard with no sense of humour
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 pm

e17 wrote:Bobby Moore is the only man to have captained a country from the UK to the national sports' greatest trophy, he's one of only 21 men to hold that honour anywhere.

I'm not knocking Redgrave and his achievements, but let's be honest here, he competed in sports that fit the BBC's ruddy cheeked middle class brigade far more than Bobby did, I doubt the majority of the population could even name what sport he took part in.

Anyways, they've taken the percentages down, so he will probably win anyway. Him or Murray. They're alive for start, so easier to make a big deal about that as a news item on their appalling Breakfast News bulletin.

Each to their own but what Redgrave did over 5 Olympics is just on a different level (over 16 years not 20 thank you James). To have that drive and determination to keep going, especially with getting older (i think he was 40 at the last one he competed in) is unparalleled. The man was a ****ing machine. I think what sport it was in is almost irrelevant.

With Murray he's won slams in an era of Federer, Djokavic and Nadal. He's had to beat at least one of them each time. He shows his personality out on the court. I like his attitude and will to win. He fully deserves to be in the running.

Anyway somebody who deserves a mention because it's probably classed as a minority sport these days - Tai Woffinden. Recently became Speedway World Champion for the 3rd time. Well done Woffy :thup:
Cockneyboy311

Postby sutts07 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 pm

e17 wrote:Bobby Moore is the only man to have captained a country from the UK to the national sports' greatest trophy,

I appreciate Football is bigger than Rugby in the UK but these two deserve a mention...

sutts07

Postby Vic_Watson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:53 pm

This fella too:

Vic_Watson

Postby James P on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Vic_Watson wrote:This fella too:

Beating the dozen other countries to the Kwik Cricket World Cup? M'eh
James P

Postby Vic_Watson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Pedant alert - 11 other countries. :wink:
Vic_Watson

Postby Hello there! on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm

My top 3:

1/ John Surtees
2/ Daley Thompson
3/ Paula Radcliffe
Hello there!

Postby sutts07 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Notables for me...

Chris Hoy eleven-times world champion and six-times Olympic champion
Mo Farah six worlds and four Olympic golds
Redgrave five consecutive Olympics golds and nine Worlds
Wiggins five Olympics and eight worlds
Hamilton five times champion
McIlroy world number one for 95 weeks and four majors
Bobby Moore World Cup winning captain
Martin Johnson World Cup winning captain
Geoff Hurst only player to score World Cup final hat trick
Jonny Wilkinson scored THAT drop goal
Alex Ferguson 13 Premier Leagues, 3 Scottish Leagues, 2 UEFA Champions Leagues and countless other cups
Lenox Lewis Olympic Gold and undisputed heavyweight champion
Anthony Joshua Olympic Gold and unified heavyweight champion

I'd even consider Beckham for the way he has conducted himself and become a global icon. He won so many trophies at club level, just falls short due to England not winning anything though.
Last edited by sutts07 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07

Postby Westbourne Bill on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Apart from our own votes, I expect BM has secured votes from many who have this week watched the excellent “ Bo66y” film on iplayer.
Westbourne Bill

Postby Hammersfaniow on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 am

Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link changed to earlier KUMB story.
Hammersfaniow

Postby S-H on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 am

If you listen closely, you can almost hear the great minds that run our club, coming together to see how best they can profit this..
S-H

Postby sanchoz on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm

S-H wrote:If you listen closely, you can almost hear the great minds that run our club, coming together to see how best they can profit this..

Like when you hold a minutes applause to celebrate the anniversary of his death, to then put an advert on the giant screens for buying club tat with his name on it as soon as it ends.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Boleyn Bound on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Fair play...
Just when you think society is beyond redemption they actually surprise you with an intelligent vote.
Boleyn Bound

Previous

Return to General Discussion