Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Cellar-door »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:hammer1975

have to agree...although I haven't seen much of the Atlanta lad and he does get rave reviews...

not too many players from the MLS do well from what I can make out...

Jeff Cameron - Stoke decent
Cameron Carter-Vickers - Spurs reserve
Emerson Hynderman - Bournemouth reserve
Antonee Robinson - Everton reserves
Danny Williams - Huddersfield
DeAnre Yedlin - Newcastle; sold to them after not making an impact at Spurs

they have hardly set the world on fire..admittedly it is a HUGE jump and time may be needed...but if the asking price is 30M from the MLS - he had better be someone like Arguero

:D
As others have noted, only Yedlin and Cameron are from MLS, and neither was a star there, but turned into solid premier league players.
For past players
Clint Dempsey had 72 goals in 275 appearances in the Premier League across Fulham and Spurs
Tim Howard was a top keeper for many years
Brian McBride had a decent career 45 in 162 for Everton and Fulham

Currently a lot of the best products have been going to the Bundesliga
Weston McKennie is a 20 year old who has been in Schalke's first XI for 2 years
Carlos Salcedo is in the first XI for Frankfurt after a year on loan to Fiorentina.

On the whole though, judging someone like Almiron based on past MLS transfers probably isn't that informative, he was really the first of the new class of MLS players where they just splashed a ton of cash to get a young prospect from the south American leagues, he's more like Lanzini in that he was a big prospect in Argentina who then went to an intermediate step before Europe, except instead of going to a total joke league he went to a second tier league and raised his value. I can't see anyone paying 30M for him, but I'd expect that there will be bids over 20M.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Payet Volley .....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Payet Volley .....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]<iframe width="1519" height="586" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OrYvBM4jfDA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

I do miss the fat, flash little Frencie... I'd have him back for no other reason than just to get a little bit excited when we get a free kick.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Nasri?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... qQey1jG9RA

I know many don't like him on here, and there are valid questions about his age/wages, but there is no question he is sublime on the ball. Also, a former customer of mine in LA was his real estate agent there and said he was an absolute gent. This guy dealt with tons of athletes and celebrities and singled out Nasri for being kind and humble. Honestly it made me like the guy.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

steveyrockstar wrote:
I think every Prem club would love to have Carroll as a back-up option, especially if he's available on the cheap. Would far rather we kept him. Guess the issue our end are the wages he's taking up.
I’d say the issue isn’t wages, it’s abailability. The man just isn’t reliable.

No good having a back up striker that’s world class and never fit, might as well sign Sturridge or Welbeck.

Some of my best days out have been spent watching Sweet Carroll 9, but if we can offload him in Jan then it’s time to say goodbye.

Loved him but time for him to be someone else’s problem.

(Watch him stay fit and play two seasons straight for Newcastle next!)
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

sutts07 wrote:
I'd love to have a fully fit (even 80% fit would do) Carroll on the bench every week to turn to.There are genuinely not many better to throw on for the last 15 - 20 min of a game. That all adds to the frustration of the man sadly.
Bang on Sutts :thup:
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

How long has it been since Nasri has played?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

c-d

Just pointing out that in general, American players don't set the PL on fire...

that may change....

but they usually come over to Europe very young because even now the MLS is NOT the best.

ask anyone on here, it's almost impossible to watch.

so if they can come over young (Pulicic - sp?) is doing well in the Bundesliga but left very early..

another young Canadian lad has gone to Bayern I think it is...Bradley moved around and played for some good team but again was "okay."

if we are looking at 20-30M the lad better be the almost finished article...tough to judge him tearing up the MLS

Bradley Wright Philips is the leading goal scorer ever. not in my top 10 (or even 50) players in the PL.

hell even Robbie Keane who was "at the end of his days" won a shed load in L.A.

Lanzini was a 7M pound punt for us that we got in on loan I believe. That's more like it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

mrbluesky wrote:
I’d say the issue isn’t wages, it’s abailability. The man just isn’t reliable.

No good having a back up striker that’s world class and never fit, might as well sign Sturridge or Welbeck.

Some of my best days out have been spent watching Sweet Carroll 9, but if we can offload him in Jan then it’s time to say goodbye.

Loved him but time for him to be someone else’s problem.

(Watch him stay fit and play two seasons straight for Newcastle next!)
Welbeck suffered a horror ankle injury last night mate and will probably miss the rest of the season
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

according to the website that can't be mentioned:

2 year option at the same wages...

we would have to be a Mickey Mouse outfit and run by a bunch of buffoons to take that up..

oh wait....

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

You know we're going to sign Wellbeck in the summer. Last night was probably his last game in an Arsenal shirt. When I saw the replay of his ankle snapping, that's what popped into my head. 'Guess that's who we'll be signing next summer.'
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

it's taken a third of the season to start clicking as a team, so I'm not a fan of huge changes in Jan.

I think the only area we really need is (as usual) midfield. someone similar to ander herrera would be perfect. someone who can man-mark if required, cover a few positions and generally be incredibly annoying to opposing teams.

other than that I honestly believe it would be better to analyse our requirements after a full season as a lot of the players are just starting to improve together as a team.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

I would like one of Origi or Solanke from Liverpool.

Rather than be ripped off in January, I’d bring Fernandes back from loan. He may have been inconsistent last season but he’s still young and showed glimpses of real talent alongside high energy.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Forgot about fernandes just what we need young fast technical and can tackle. Get him back and let pelle have a look at him

Steer ckearcof nasri !
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Nasri is a total **** don’t want him anywhere near here
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:according to the website that can't be mentioned:

2 year option at the same wages...

we would have to be a Mickey Mouse outfit and run by a bunch of buffoons to take that up..

oh wait....

You talking about Payet bud?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

time to forget payet. he was fantastic for us but watching French football regularly he is very slow and been poor. plus he is 32 now. we need younger more mobile players than the 2018 version. thanks for the memories but no thanks.

watched him agaiunst Lazio very slow and ponderous would not survive in the premier league now. we have enough slow players !

good to see a west ham shirt in the Lazio end !
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

hammerman11 wrote:Forgot about fernandes just what we need young fast technical and can tackle. Get him back and let pelle have a look at him

Steer ckearcof nasri !
Fernandes has been in and out of a mid-table Fiorentina side. He came on (for a winger) last night on 66 mins. Game ended up 1-1.

Even if we can recall him, I don't think he's shown that he's ready to start regularly for us in the Prem. I think he needs consistent 90 mins in a lesser league (Holland/Champo) to develop as a player.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Thought I read that we can’t recall Fernandes anyway and Fiorentina have an option to make perm in the summer which will dictate whether he comes back at all.

Here it is:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standa ... html%3famp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

WCpete wrote:How long has it been since Nasri has played?
There's actually an equation for this very teaser.

Multiply Andy Carroll's absence, by Winston Reid's convalescence, then divide by the number of matches missed so far in Jack Wilshere's West Ham career.

That's Nasri's lay off in weeks.