Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by S-H »

Vienna wrote:3 cm is all we need, players with pace.

I'd be happy with extra 2cm, personally.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I agree. CM is our weakness. We also need a LB and I'm not sure Frederick's is good enough either.

Get rid off Arthur. He is shiite.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Hugh - then we'd have no one.......we can't count on Cresswell really......

Zaba is playing great, no doubt, but being kept out of the side by a 34 yer old probably tells us all we need to know about Fredericks...
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Apparently Palace are back in for Antonio. I’d swap him straight up for Wan-Bissaka.... the proverbial kills 2 birds with one stone.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

That’s nice that you would do that Peaches but I’m pretty sure Palace would not.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Hernandez looking for out.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/11/11/w ... ve/page/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Having watched the MLS games tonight, Miguel Almiron looks a fantastic player. Not only is he quick and skilful, but his play is intelligent. Scored a great free kick too.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Peaches wrote:Apparently Palace are back in for Antonio. I’d swap him straight up for Wan-Bissaka.... the proverbial kills 2 birds with one stone.
No chance, sadly, because that's a decent, young player...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What about that Big Willy? Can't we get him ?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Need a RB in January now Fredericks is out

Still need an energetic young DM

Need a striker to cover Arnie sell Hernandez Antonio Carroll hughill
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

hammerman11 wrote:Need a RB in January now Fredericks is out

Still need an energetic young DM

Need a striker to cover Arnie sell Hernandez Antonio Carroll hughill
Fredericks is out???

I thought Declan was our energetic young DM?

Not sure who's going to buy any of that lot in Jan
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Puff Daddy wrote:What about that Big Willy? Can't we get him ?
I think that ship has sailed Puff.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I would just about grin and bare our options at left back until the summer. Same for the jack-of-all-trade midfielder too.

But for me in Janaury we need the following:

- a defensive midfielder,
- a winger,
- a striker.

Like Pellegrini I am not a fan of loan signings, as I think it's cheapskate and with the ridiculous money Premier League clubs are making with the TV money it's unacceptable. Why not just use the money through either selling some deadwood in Janaury, or even borrow some of next summer's transfer window money. So then we don't have to worry about these positions at that time.

The defensive midfielder and striker we especially need. If Declan Rice God forbid gets injured, which is bound to happen, which of our current midfielders can play his defensive midfield position? No one is the answer, so we need one pronto. It wouldn't of been as urgent if Sanchez wasn't injured, but he is.

And we definitely need another striker. We rely on Arnie far too much and if he gets injured which of our appalling strikers do we expect to deliver? Just about every game this season so many of our fans are complaining about us not taking our chances, so we need to address this.

The winger is to compete with Diangana and to cover for Yarmalenko. Bare in mind there's a chance we could lose Antonio in Janaury too, so will be even lighter.

The following I would sell in Janaury without question:

- Michail Antonio,
- Jordan Hugill,
- Javier Hernandez.

I would hang on to Adrian and Carroll until the end if the season, then let them go for free in the summer. No other club would be stupid enough to submit a bid for Carroll anyway and he will only 'miraculously' pick up an injury anyway so he can stay here and live the life of Riley on his disgracefully high wages.

In terms of defensive midfield maybe make a move for that Elneny at Arsenal.

The striker though, even the like defensive midfield position, just simply ask Husillos to go and find us a gem like he managed to with Balbuena. That's what he is here for and hopefully he can again.

For the winger it makes sense to try and go for Victor Moses if achievable. He's still a good age, knows the League inside out, knows the club and can cover at rightback too.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Like is said just an extra 2cm..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

bubbles1966 wrote:The league table since we switched to a slightly more defensive midfield;

I'd be surprised if we are looking at anything beyond:

1) A loan/free to cover the absence of Lanzini/Yarmolenko
2) A defensive loan to cover Reid/Sanchez

I'd be surprised to see us do anything in either full back position and we will only move for new players if some of the out of favour high-earners depart or the on-loan players suddenly get sold.
Pretty much what I've been advocating earlier when I said we don't currently need a new Striker and should focus our attentions elsewhere, yet I was being told we just have to have a new one. Now the defensive setup is under control again, since the reintroduction of Rice at DM and Ogbonna taken out the start of games. The goals are definitely there and will only get better the more familiar they all become as a team once it's settling down even more. We always look like or are scoring goals.

The make-up of the squad is heading in the right direction and the Huddersfield players know it having recently openly stated how good our forward line now is.
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

Dont get the fascination with some with signing a fancy new look striker every window. In arnie we have our most complete center forward weve seen in years & Hernandez, Carroll, Perez & Antonio provide ample cover for one position in our starting XI.

Very hard to do business in Jan but the only player id go above and beyond to sign is RLC, he'll be 23 and surely pi55ed off at starting every premier league game on the bench for Chelsea. If he doesn't leave in Jan, whether to us or someone similar for first team football then i will have no sympathy for the lad.

Wouldnt mind seeing us get Bertrand from Soton as well but feel thats more of a summer 19 job when they inevitably get relegated
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Anything's possible , now playing for Real Betis having been transferred for around 20mEuros if memory serves me right .
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Having watched the MLS games tonight, Miguel Almiron looks a fantastic player. Not only is he quick and skilful, but his play is intelligent. Scored a great free kick too.
They want £30m odd for him don't they? Cannot see us spending anything close to that in January.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I'd say we need...

A younger alternative to Zabaleta (Byram and Fredericks do not seem to be cutting it)
A hungrier, more focused and switched on version Cresswell (Masuaku is not a full back)
A younger and sharper version of both Noble and Wilshere
A younger and hungrier version of Hernandez

I don't expect us to go after five players in Jan though so it may well be a case of us getting by with what we have and hoping that a few of the injuries clear up sharpish.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

sutts07 wrote:I'd say we need...

A younger alternative to Zabaleta (Byram and Fredericks do not seem to be cutting it)
A hungrier, more focused and switched on version Cresswell (Masuaku is not a full back)
A younger and sharper version of both Noble and Wilshere
A younger and hungrier version of Hernandez

I don't expect us to go after five players in Jan though so it may well be a case of us getting by with what we have and hoping that a few of the injuries clear up sharpish.
Agree with most of that although I still want to see what Martinez can do first if afforded the opportunity that Pellegrini has given to both Diangana and Rice. On loans one thing but back at the Club given the chance to play in our first team is another.

Both right back and younger cover for Cresswell still concern me. Just not convinced on either Frederick's or Masuaku who definitely isn't a left back in any shape or form. That Ryan Sessegnon is someone who is screaming to be had. Just how ambitious are we, now Fulham are in a tight hole this season? The boy will be getting itchy foot to leave.