Huddersfield Town 1-1 West Ham Utd (10/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: ⚽ Huddersfield Town v West Ham Utd: match thread (10/11)

Post by Clacton-ammer »

At this point in the season I don't think you have any right and certainly not any expectation to beat anyone in the PL, particularly for a club like ours, we are not Man City or Liverpool.

From the highlights we seemed a bit off, Huddersfield worked their knackers off (which they always do) and it certainly appeared to me that a draw was a fair result.

Cracking finish from Anderson :thup:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Clacton-ammer wrote:At this point in the season I don't think you have any right and certainly not any expectation to beat anyone in the PL, particularly for a club like ours, we are not Man City or Liverpool.
I disagree. I guess it depends on how you view a "club like ours". I don't want the moon, but I kinda hoped by the third season in our world class stadium we'd be looking to establish ourselves as a solid 9th-11th placed side. I think a team looking to finish in these spots can have an expectation of beating one of the worst teams to play in the Premier League, even on their patch.

If our ambitions are so low that we just view ourselves as a 13th-15th placed side happy not to be in the relegation dogfight then you're probably right and a point should be taken with a smile.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Thing is, the first 2 seasons in the new stadium were pretty poor and we’ve pretty much hit the reset button and started again this season.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Last 2 season were poor as we simply didn’t invest enough for a team that wanted 9-11th
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Marky wrote:Last 2 season were poor as we simply didn’t invest enough for a team that wanted 9-11th
We invested enough we just did it very badly ..... these are the estimated net spends ....

TRANSFER ACTIVITY OF THE LAST 5 YEARS

Man City - 645m
Man Utd - 550m
Arsenal - 281m
Everton - 253m
Liverpool - 235m
West Ham - 185m
Chelsea - 164m

Huddersfield - 78m
Spuds - 36m

So we've spent the 6th highest amount and massively more than Huddersfield, 9th - 11th is the bare minimum this team should be achieving ... we should be comfortable top ten ...

Why are we all starting to make excuses? It's down to piss poor senior management that's the bottom line ....

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-l ... bewerb/GB1
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

James P wrote:
If our ambitions are so low that we just view ourselves as a 13th-15th placed side happy not to be in the relegation dogfight then you're probably right and a point should be taken with a smile.
I don't think people are making excuses, just being realistic. Also from my original post, there is not god given right to expect to win away from home, not in this league, and certainly at this point of the season.

Strikes me as a little arrogant & obnoxious, we need to win these games, that I agree with to get mid table and then push on, but should not expect to win. Massive difference in wording.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Clacton-ammer wrote:I don't think people are making excuses, just being realistic. Also from my original post, there is not god given right to expect to win away from home, not in this league, and certainly at this point of the season.

Strikes me as a little arrogant & obnoxious, we need to win these games, that I agree with to get mid table and then push on, but should not expect to win. Massive difference in wording.
Again I disagree.

Maybe it's semantics. I don't think we're entitled to win and don't think we have a divine right to win, but yes, I do expect to beat teams that I believe are considerably weaker than us. I expect that we will lose the next match against Man City but that doesn't mean I've written off the game entirely.

But bottom line is I'm not happy with a point away at Huddersfield and I really don't think any of us should be.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

We invested enough we just did it very badly ..... these are the estimated net spends ....

TRANSFER ACTIVITY OF THE LAST 5 YEARS

Man City - 645m
Man Utd - 550m
Arsenal - 281m
Everton - 253m
Liverpool - 235m
West Ham - 185m
Chelsea - 164m

Huddersfield - 78m
Spuds - 36m

Don't forget thou that we were starting from a long way back. Apart from Huddersfield the others were miles ahead of us 5 years ago. We are just starting to play catch up/moving in the right direction.

So we've spent the 6th highest amount and massively more than Huddersfield, 9th - 11th is the bare minimum this team should be achieving ... we should be comfortable top ten ...

Why are we all starting to make excuses? It's down to piss poor senior management that's the bottom line ....

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-l ... bewerb/GB1[/quote]
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Have to tip my hat to Huddersfield, as poor as they have been, they gave that a real good go and they might actually have enough about them to kick on.

Might have to re-visit my groupings....
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

HighWycombeHammer wrote:Don't forget thou that we were starting from a long way back. Apart from Huddersfield the others were miles ahead of us 5 years ago. We are just starting to play catch up/moving in the right direction.
It might feel like that but in spending terms it's just not true ... go back over the last decade and we actually come in 5th ... only City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have a higher net spend than us ... so whilst they've all got better we've stood still ...

I agree we financially we can no longer live with those five (and soon Spuds I guess) but we should be the best of the rest, biggest stadium, London based, spent the most money on players ...

So if we're are a long way back it's because we've pissed away >200m ... not that we haven't spent it
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I don't think you can just expect to beat anyone in the league. It's absolutely pointless saying we should doing better given what we've spent. The previous two seasons we've flailed about aimlessly, and now we've had a complete re-boot. You could say we started this process last January with the clear-out of fringe players (though WTF buying Hugill had to do with it I don't know). Pell has come in with a totally different approach and spent a decent amount of money to back it up. We're not going to be transformed overnight into a consistent winning team. We have however shown that we can play a bit of football now and give most teams a game. There's bigger clubs than us plying their trade in the championship right now, no one has any automatic right to success
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I said investment wasn’t sufficient in last 2 years Irownworks not 5.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

So if we're are a long way back it's because we've pissed away >200m ... not that we haven't spent it[/quote]

We also got relegated so had a completely different squad. We had a championship squad and had to invest to make it a premier league squad. When we sold the championship squad we did not get much money. We may have spent around 200 million in 5 years but that is from scratch lots of the others had value in their squad and have not required the change our squad has required.

Every club including ours have had bad signings.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Happyhammer52 wrote:Drawing 1-1 to a side who had scored just five goals and conceded twenty one isn't a particularly great result.

You can mask it up by saying we have signed half a new side, and have new management, Huddersfield are exactly the sort of team we should be beating.

Next level stuff....
Given our points haul at home to the mighty Bournemouth and Wolves and away game at Brighton aren't West Ham United precisely the kind of team Huddersfield ought to behaving a go at beating ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

IronworksDave wrote:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-l ... bewerb/GB1

We're not we are just adding a bit of context. You can go back over the past 5 years all you like, they're irrelevant because we pretty much started again this year with a new gaffer, new backroom staff and pretty much a new team!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

irrespective of the total net or gross spend...

the players didn't show up - it's as simple as that...we can apportion blame if we want to the Axis of Evil but when it comes down to it, team selection personnel-wise and tactics are then down to the boss. then the application. if he can't do that, we are definitely going to struggle..

as I said earlier and elsewhere...not down to specifically Pellers..it seems that almost ANY manager who comes here can't get a team motivated to play the minnows....

that's what costs us league places.....
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:irrespective of the total net or gross spend...

the players didn't show up - it's as simple as that...we can apportion blame if we want to the Axis of Evil but when it comes down to it, team selection personnel-wise and tactics are then down to the boss. then the application. if he can't do that, we are definitely going to struggle..

as I said earlier and elsewhere...not down to specifically Pellers..it seems that almost ANY manager who comes here can't get a team motivated to play the minnows....

To quote BFS It's the west ham way :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:irrespective of the total net or gross spend...

goa127 wrote:
To quote BFS It's the west ham way :lol:

:D
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Patito wrote: We're not we are just adding a bit of context. You can go back over the past 5 years all you like, they're irrelevant because we pretty much started again this year with a new gaffer, new backroom staff and pretty much a new team!
Look we can make as many excuses as we want but let's be honest we've screwed it up big time every year since we came back up ... starting again every year or two years is just a sure sign of failure ... we already have the second oldest squad in the league, so by default we will be starting again next year or the year after anyway ....

But hey let's add a short term 31 year old ... that's bound to work ... and even if it does so what? we will be just treading water not moving forward, just like we have done for years ... we need to change the mindset ...

Why not sign three 20 year old lower league players ... we just might get a good one who's with us for a decade ... not a sticking plaster for the next six months ....
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

A bit disappointed with the result.

We really didn't play as well as I expected. The early goal knocked us back quite a bit.......as did the first half goal at Brighton. They were similar matches I thought.

We nearly played well but we didn't.... :D

Normally happy with an away point so I recovered my thoughts quickly and happy to get a late (ish) goal for ourselves this time.

Like what Pellers is doing..........it feels like 2 steps forward and 1 step back at the moment but the football (or the attempted football is lovely to watch).

Fink we will frash City... :P