West Ham Utd 0-4 Manchester City (24/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread (24/11)

Post by BondsoBob »

OK it all turned out pretty much as expected by most. And to lose 4-0 at home to anyone is pretty depressing. But it's not like its the first time it's ever happened is it? I remember one season under Hairy Rednacknackers when we lost 4-0 at home three times. To Arsenal, Sheffield Weds and QPR. Pre internet era, so within a couple of days each hammering was swiftly forgotten.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Opta stats and graphic on chances:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Interesting even Guardiola felt they were lucky to have won by 4 ...

The concern I have with City is if you poke them with a stick they up their game. They always try and score a few early then take their foot off the gas - had we got one back at 2 - 0 I fear the result may have been the same.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

beaten by a better team that is bankrolled by Saudi billions. no connection to the team they were. all that is wrong with football now. who cares if they win the league as any team with billions can do so. chelski did it when roman was bothered so now another foreign investor has his play thing.

back to the game and the difference being that we dont take our chances whereas city did. on another day it could have been 4-3 maybe .

arthur needs to be rested after that performance. cresswell to start against the geordies.
anderson was again lazy and not bothered to track back
antonio at least had a go
rice was the motm for me covered everything and pep is now interested in him. sign him up or he will be gone to city!

didnt think much of the city fans a few citeh chants and that was it.3-0 up and they werent singing, a sign of the competitive nature of the premier league.
back to our level next week and at least we will see a competitive game !

city will win the premier league and champions league this season but who cares
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Think we got it wrong from the off truth be told.

We can’t line up with just two in the middle against some of the weaker sides in this league, let alone one of the best teams it’s ever seen.

Antonio did ok up top, but he’s really not premier league quality. Can only think that Noble wasn’t 100% because personally I’d have preferred to see him back in with us trying a little harder to contain them.

Also think Cresswell is a far better defender than Masuaku so has to start against the stronger teams. No point in trying to play your way into a game at 0-3 in the 35th min, better to try and keep it tight and then be more expansive in the last half hour.

Also disappointed that we didn’t throw Carroll at the game, they do look questionable in the air and when it all gets a bit ugly, can’t see what the Pérez sub was about at all. Bad day for the gaffer in my opinion.

I don’t actually think the outcome would have been hugely different truth be told as Man City are just a different level to pretty much anything else in this league. But we didn’t give ourselves any hope at all with that line up.
Last edited by sutts07 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

8 corners in that game. Yet Carroll remained on the sidelines
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

agree starting with 2 in midfield was a mistake. if he wanted to play Antonio should have dropped grady to bench and put noble in there.

anyway who cares means nothing we lost onto the next game which is meaningful and competitive !
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

ageing hammer wrote:I took positives from the defeat today. ( I'm positive we need a left back ) :D

Pellegrini had a go and I admire him for that.

Big Sam and Moyes would still have lost that game 3 -0 as well but we would have had created no chances.

At least under Pellegrini we had 9 chances and on another day would have scored 4 goals.

If he gets backed with enough money and given time we will be a fine side in a couple of years.
Perfectly summed up.

The team played to try and score, and never gave up. Much better than sitting back waiting for the inevitable. I knew we'd probably lose, but the fact we gave it a real go, right up until the final whistle says loads for our boss, and his players.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Not unexpected unfortunately as Man City are so dominant in this league, along now with Liverpool - who also beat us 4-0. That said there was a big difference between the 2 results. Against Liverpool we were shocking and massively outplayed. Yesterday Man City didn’t have to break a sweat and controlled the game but we let them off the hook by not putting away our chances.

I think most were surprised to see Masuaku return for Cresswell and Antonio come in for Snodgrass, with Noble back on the bench. I can only think the pace of these two were the reason behind this. Unfortunately Masauku’s pace didn’t matter as Sterling in particular showed that movement and timing is the to get behind a defence. Antonio had a better game though but missed 2 good chances - I still don’t think he’s right for us now but that’s for the Antonio thread.

It was probably Balbuena’s worst game for us so far - he and Masuaku were poor in the first half and the weak links in the 3 goals (not both for all 3 to be clear). The general also missed a good chance from a corner to score as well - not for the first time this season, something we need to work on.

I hoped Arnie would put in a performance after the recent press so it was disappointing that he didn’t have much of a positive influence, and also 2 good chances spurned which continue to raise doubts for his long term ability to lead the line alone. Hopefully the injury isn’t serious and is just similar to Watford last year when things weren’t going his way.

I’ve been a big fan of Pellegrini’s decisions so far, but the Perez sub did bemuse me a little, it could’ve been good to give Carroll a run out too.

Finally a mention for some unnoticed work by Anderson. Walker was barely noticeable I thought until Anderson went off because he had to keep tracks on him with his movement. He didn’t do much in the game with the ball but actuallly I think he contributed more than what people would think.

On to the toon!
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Goals conceded aside we really had a go, as people of said Man City have got what they pay for. Fantastic players and a fantastic manager.

Yesterday we weren't afraid to have a go and our chance creation was as good as citehs the main difference was they finished there's and we didn't.

Hernandez has to start moving forward, these next run of games should be a 4 pronged attack of Hernandez, Anderson, Diangana and Arnie.

Positivesto take from this but we need to learn how to be ruthless in front of goal. If we want to be a top half team.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

When you have the buying power of Manchester City you can afford to buy the best players on earth while clubs such as West Ham struggle to get 35m players across the line . Manchester City are the Harlem Globetrotters of the Premier League , they have wonderful footballers across the park and unless the Arab money stops coming they'll just continue to hoover up all the talent that's available .
If that's what people think the Premier League should be like then good for Manchester City , it's not something I would want West Ham to aspire to .

Ok , enough about them .

What was refreshing about yesterday's tactics was we decided to give them a game , ok you always know that Manchester City will always put goals past you but we didn't resort to the ' Alamo ' tactics of old , it wasn't all one-way stuff for 90 minutes , we are who we are and I wouldn't want it any other way , I won't judge my team against the likes of Manchester City we are West Ham and I've seen a lot worse performance with the score less than 0-4 . It's always difficult against the Harlem Globetrotters but some of our players stood up well against them yesterday , we've got a couple of All Stars in our team too , Anderson and Diangana played some delightful stuff at times coupled with the hard working Antonio [ anyone else think that if he scores just one goal he'll bag some more ? ] West Ham did at least create chances albeit half-chances , Arnautovic would have scored on another day , as would Antonio and Balbuena but hey let's face it they had done their homework on us , they're not just great footballers , they have a formation and tactics too , there were always 3 Manchester City players marking both Anderson and Arnautovic and if you nullify those two you snuff out most of West Ham's threat .

Anyway , well done , West Ham you did your best and that's all we ask of you .
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Agreed with the general consensus on here, almost impossible to beat this city side. They have lost 2 games in the last 40 or so in the league, yes we conceded 4 but so do almost everyone against this mob. On another day we score at least 2 and we were very brave I thought, pressing high up the pitch.

Looking forward to the European super league if it happens.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What we all really expected, City are really bankrolled, but it does not excuse some players! and the way we played from the kick off. Only positive one game back & Carroll is Not Injured! LOL!
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Italian Hammer wrote:Might be mistaken but two of their goals looked offside in the build up.
The last one (4-0) definitely was offside.
You can't really blame the lino for missing it, it's not as though there's lines marked on the pitch to help him... oh wait....

The lino missed an offside earlier too, which fortunately didn't result in a goal. Two minutes later (next City attack) he made a late flag for an offside that wasn't - but only after we'd already ceared the ball upfield!

Thought Hernandez put in a shift. Not sure why the ref didn't award him a free kick when Mahrez charged in and shoved him over - if Hernandez had really been looking for the foul he'd have gone down in the penalty area a second before - I know several of the City players would have gone down and very likely have had the penalty.
Seemed to be another case of ignoring any niggly fouls by the favourites - for all their skill, City are as cynical as the worst of them: Antonio & Zab were blatantly obstructed a couple of times, and Delph made at least three cynical, tactical fouls (the ref signalled "advantage" for one, but neglected to bring the ball back for a free kick when we lost out, nor even spoke to the player, and Walker punched Antonio in the eye right in front of the linesman.
Antonio had his best game, by far, for almost two seasons. He stopped playing with 20 seconds to go though, and his man played the ball through (pictured above).
And I thought Obiang started brightly, but half way through the first half he got really sloppy with his passing - he made several pass attempts that were cut out within a few yards of him!
I find Arnautovic a bit of an enigma - we clearly lack a striker that can properly create and finish chances (just compare the City players today - 3-0 up from three shots on target! Clinical and composed), but we love and need his maverick nature. He seems to keep having misunderstandings with all the other attacking players too. What does it say about our team when our best player can be clearly identified as a position we really need to upgrade? And why did he try to shoot from a free-kick nearly 40 yards out?
He was also fortunate not to get a yellow for his late foot in on Delph. Perhaps Marriner was just as inept as his linesman.
I thought Anderson played well, and must have been working on his corners. And it's been good to see Balbuena regularly getting on the end of some lately. Some games I've felt we are the least threatening team from set pieces, but today I really thought we might get something from one.

Poor Masuaku. Was he really that bad? I think he was unlucky for the first one. He should have done better on the other two though. One one of them he was trying to marshall our defence and consequently took his eye on his own man at the crucial moment.
But City's patience and movement is really precise. Balbuena could probably have slid in to block the first goal, but he tried that for the second and Sane's skill and composure made him look like a pub league defender.

Despite the scoreline I thought we made a good effort today.
Except for Perez, that is!
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

jaybs wrote:Only positive one game back & Carroll is Not Injured! LOL!
Absolute ****ing melt.
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

hornsey wrote:8 corners in that game. Yet Carroll remained on the sidelines
Just a hunch but once we were 0-3 the game was gone and perhaps, the thinking was that 'fragile' Carroll may be better used in the forthcoming fixtures.
The Old Man of Storr

ageing hammer wrote:I took positives from the defeat today. ( I'm positive we need a left back ) :D

Pellegrini had a go and I admire him for that.

Big Sam and Moyes would still have lost that game 3 -0 as well but we would have had created no chances.

At least under Pellegrini we had 9 chances and on another day would have scored 4 goals.

If he gets backed with enough money and given time we will be a fine side in a couple of years.
We need this type of positivity :thup: . Well done , Ageing .

Masuaku isn't a fullback I'd play against Manchester City but I still think he can bring something to a game against lesser teams , as a defender he needs to play in a Back 3 and seeing as Pellegrini never plays that system then he either plays in midfield / winger , as a 2nd choice full back or as full back against the lower sides .
The Old Man of Storr

brownout wrote:
Good to see attacking intentions and if we hadn't hit two good chances straight at their keeper we might have made a game of it - although I suspect City would just have tried a bit harder second half and won anyway.

Rice again stood out as our one top class player.
We can only speculate what Manchester City's reaction would have been had Antonio shot a little wider of their keeper [ twice ] and had Arnautovic done better with that half-chance , it might even have meant Balbuena scoring instead of missing by a a couple of feet - at the pace played Manchester City were more than comfortable but at no point were they chasing the game .
For us to stand a chance of beating Manchester City we have to score first , preferably two or three . :)
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

There is pressing and trying to score (which is how teams have caused City problems) but it has to be combined with defending properly, we certainly did not do the latter and that started from the front.

Their third goal is a perfect example, we are under pressure with 8 of our players within 20 yards of our goal. Diangana gets a chance to clear and hurriedly plays it about 40 yards from goal where Fernandinho collects it, has all the time in the world to look up and then play an admittedly excellent pass to Stirling who has had the opportunity to make the run because the only pressure on the passer is Rice trying to get out to him.

Meanwhile Arnie and Antonio are standing a further 20 yards deeper on the halfway line marking the centre halves.

City defended as a team. 3-0 up and they still worked their socks off to get 9 outfield players behind the ball when we had it. That is not about skill it is about effort, organisation, structure and discipline. It is the way Pep demands they play. Either the players were not following MP’s orders by allowing City acres in the middle of the park where they nearly always had a spare man or MP told them not to drop in and help out an overrun midfield and back 4. Whichever neither is acceptable.

Yes maybe we were always going to get beat but we did not play well especially first half, we improved second half but by then City were thinking more of Europe in mid week rather than the game they were playing but even then the players effort did not drop. We created chances accepted but we were only going to get a result if we took those and at the same time kept them down to maybe a couple of goals.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

An enjoyable 4-0 defeat is how both my father and I saw it. Which may be weird, but I kinda felt proud of seeing us constantly having a go, not showing any fear and getting at a team who are just lightyears ahead.

We've surrendered games against them in the last few seasons. Least yesterday we went out there to cause their defence some problems, and we did. That we didn't take a chance is a shame cos we deserved a goal or two.

An added point: David Silva is the best player I've seen against us. Should be mentioned in the Henry-sphere of Premier League talents, he's just wonderful to watch. He's so good sometimes that he could play with cones and make them look like they've got good movement.