West Ham Utd 0-4 Manchester City (24/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread (24/11)

Post by Wilko1304 »

Gsbgsb wrote:We created chances accepted but we were only going to get a result if we took those and at the same time kept them down to maybe a couple of goals.
We created a lot more than I expected us to, and gave up as many chances as we would have if we'd played scared against them like we usually do.

I don't think you give them anywhere near enough credit for being an absolutely sensational team, and you are highlighting a weakness in the system without even acknowledging what it was doing.

Not only did it offer us a counter attack threat, it also helped us to stop their central defenders dominating the ball and playing as auxiliary central midfielders.

For the first time this season, that felt like a game where none of their defenders, full backs or centre backs, had an impact on the attacking play of their side. Interesting to note.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

brothernero wrote:Man City in the League last season and so far this season. (Including this game)

P51 W43 D6 L2 F145 A32 GD+113 PTS 135

:cry:
Thought this was worth another quote, just look at that ffs. 2 defeats in 51 games. Really does give you a perspective.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

hornsey wrote:8 corners in that game. Yet Carroll remained on the sidelines
I’d rather we lost 4-0 than revert to being Pullis’ Stoke
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Wilko1304 wrote: For the first time this season, that felt like a game where none of their defenders, full backs or centre backs, had an impact on the attacking play of their side. Interesting to note.
They did not need to because of the space afforded the midfield, the centre halves do not need to step up when the “holding” midfielder has all the time he needs to dictate the game.

Yes they are very good but they scored four at a canter. First goal Antonio runs 60 yards tracking Silva from 10 yards behind him to watch him score without ever expending the effort to get level and put him under any type of pressure. Think that would have been acceptable to Pep if the roles were reversed?

I do not question the cavernous skill difference between their players and ours which is why they will usually beat us however there is zero reason why we should also be beaten on organisation, discipline and effort. It is not the first time this season a team has beaten us on these basics, my fear is it will not be the last. If it is not then those teams we are supposedly meant to beat will also get results against us.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

One of those games where the highlight was the pre match beer.
I don't think we played badly, we got punished by a team of superstars.
The next 3 are vital, if we can get 6 or 7 points from them this game will be forgotten.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Wilko1304 wrote:An added point: David Silva is the best player I've seen against us. Should be mentioned in the Henry-sphere of Premier League talents, he's just wonderful to watch. He's so good sometimes that he could play with cones and make them look like they've got good movement.
When he retires, he will surely be remembered as one of the Prem's all-time greats.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

someone asked the other day is he was their best transfer spent...

I guess that you could argue that either him or Arguero....and could make a case for either and neither be wrong..
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote: When he retires, he will surely be remembered as one of the Prem's all-time greats.
For sure, a wonderful player worth the price of admission. Always moving, always available to receive the ball, take it in and redistribute it smoothly, a fabulous, fabulous footballer.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
For sure, a wonderful player worth the price of admission. Always moving, always available to receive the ball, take it in and redistribute it smoothly, a fabulous, fabulous footballer.
His movement is utterly sensational.
The way he links with Sterling on the right and gets in dangerous areas is something hat has to be seen in the flesh to appreciate.

Poor old Arthur didn't have a prayer.

But as PP says his touch and awareness is also fantastic
A simply wonderful player who makes the whole thing tick
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

He’s a hard little b*stard as well. One crunching tackle yesterday and always working.

Best PL overseas player? That’s a long discussion, but he’s up there.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote: I’d rather we lost 4-0 than revert to being Pullis’ Stoke
Is the right answer E17!

Personally think it is refreshing Pelligrini didn't call for Carroll and revert to route 1
Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

As several have posted here, most of the next few games are winnable and I really hope that we give the same performance as we did against City. What I hope is banished from our thinking is that there are any 'easy' games that we 'should' win.

As a young lawyer, my principal told me to treat every opponent lawyer as being top notch and the requisite preparation on that basis stood me in good stead for over thirty years. At least that way, when it turns out your opponent is not the brightest star in the firmament, the surprises are all positive!

:crest:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Completely slipped my mind until now but we did chuckle at the strange chap who waged his own little battle with the citeh fans. He was one of those fans that had it not been for the West Ham scarf you wouldn’t have had a clue why he was there or where he was from...I think he might have been Scottish or Scandinavian - strange accent and choice of chants ‘where was you 10 years ago...’ ?!? But in a weird sort of way redeemed himself by getting chucked out for flashing... been a while since I’ve seen anyone doing moonys at rival fans and hearing the busy looking stewards reporting the flasher had been ejected from the stadium made the result a little more farsicle.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Exceptional City side.

Interestingly, Pellegrini got the tactics spot on, perhaps with the exception of Masuaku/Cresswell. We created a slew of great chances. The problem wasn't tactics, it was execution. With a team as good as City we're going to have to bury those chances in order to have a hope of making it a contest.

Not sure why, but my biggest disappointment was the goal in extra time.

Tip of the hat to Pellegrini, who clearly tried to make a game out of this. Games like this let us really see what type of a manager he is. Reminds me of the way that Johnnie Lyall and Ronnie would always try and play against the opposition, no matter who they were. This is exactly the philosophy many of us grew up with, and rightly or wrongly I can't shake it off, even if I wanted to, and I don't.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

richneal wrote:
Not sure why, but my biggest disappointment was the goal in extra time.
Weirdly, that's what I thought too.

We could, if he had not scored, at least have been able to say that, once the change for Cress was made, we kept a clean sheet. Its a small thing, sure, but it would have made a difference, in terms of attitude towards the next match.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

richneal wrote:Not sure why, but my biggest disappointment was the goal in extra time.
prophet:marginal wrote:Weirdly, that's what I thought too.
Maybe we can take small consolation from the goal actually being offside,
however it doesn't seem anyone else in the world bothered to check for that.

It was disappointing, we had stopped playing, and most of the Man City players had too. After we conceded possession Man City literally played at walking pace from that moment until they Jesus made a run (the offside one) to cross for the goal - about 45 seconds where everyone except two of the City subs was seemingly just waiting for the whistle. With twenty second of additional time left City walked the ball back into their own half and passed it backwards.
Antonio had stopped tracking his man (Mahrez, I think, who played in Jesus) to talk to the ref.
Mahrez played his offside through ball bang on the end of the allocated two mins.

So all factors considered, yes, it was very unlucky - and wrong!
:thdn:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Football has reached a depressing point.

A club that spends £100m in the summer, playing at home, that creates chances and generally plays quite well, still loses 4-0.

Money has utterly ruined the game IMO.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

agree with you. city are the example of what is wrong with football. its not competitive as they are too good bankrolled as they are.

so they win it who cares they bought it !

back to proper comepetitive match on Saturday. win lose or draw it will be a better match for me.

sky go on about how great the premier league is but its a foregone conclusion that city will win it this year.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: I’d rather we lost 4-0 than revert to being Pullis’ Stoke

Is the right answer E17!

Personally think it is refreshing Pelligrini didn't call for Carroll and revert to route 1
Always makes me laugh comments like this. We just got beaten by a side which has spent money on the best players who have pace, movement, possession skills etc. In other words, we were totally outclassed trying to play the same game as them (The west ham way?). Then we get beaten or draw against "pulis type sides" , brighton, wolves, bournemouth, draw with huddersfield and leicester.

You play to your strengths no matter what they are. If it's ugly, it's ugly, but you do it on a match by match basis. Do you think Chelsea worried about Giroud scoring from a cross on saturday night as ugly? Brighton having Glenn Murray winning games for them?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

If we were -£300 million to start with does it matter if we spent £100 million?