Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by djclipz »

Just saw someone, on Facebook, wish their 7 year old Happy Birthday... 7 year old in question isn't and shouldn't be on facebook.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

delbert wrote:Are we sure he's 15 and not another middle aged teenager?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/f ... d-13631270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clacton-ammer wrote:
The shocking part of this is that this fella has been harassing girls, 4 have gone into hiding due to him, funny how that is not being reported either!
The other shocking part is that it took a child to point out what should have been glaringly obvious to the adults responsible.
The cynical part of me would suggest that perhaps a fear of being labelled the "R" word hindered the authorities in using simple common sense and it took a child innocent of this sort of fuckery to speak out, sound familiar?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

music so loud in a restaurant that it difficult to hear the person on the same table , or im just a grumpy old git
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Stuff that should be on NUMB muddying the Snug.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

vietnammer wrote:

Best evidence I can find at the mo: The King James Bible (published 1611)

The book is a snapshot of late 16th, early 17th century English and 'gotten' was certainly in use then. However, the modern US usage is restricted to describe dynamic change (it's gotten cold/I've gotten old) rather a state of acquisition, as in the example above.

I love it that Jamaican English still uses terms like 'Vex' , which is well out-of-date in Britain. My favourite (and it is just my own thought) is how they use 'Dread'. In current English it describes 'fear', whereas yer Rastas use it as in 'to be respected' (dreadlocks etc). King James I was called in Britain 'Our Dread Sovereign)'.

I love your little etymological snippets , Viet . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

fjthegrey wrote:Wish the working day away, to bound out the office doors at the end of it, sit in endless traffic, get home and realise there's no interesting reason to be there.

What a pointless life it really is 3/4's of the time.
I wa thinking this exact thought the other day , I guess we all think this at some time or other in our lives so do not think you are alone in this .

It's the little things that matter .

For instance , the other day our lad asked if we could take him to see some snow as he wanted to get in the Christmas spirit - Jen baked some delicious mince pies made from shortbread pastry [ about triple the calories of ordinary mince pies ] and made up a flask of cocoa to take with us . We ended up driving to the Cairngorms but to avoid the A96 / A9 traffic we took a less busy route via Rothes and managed to avoid driving through the town of Aviemore itself coming out on the little road which leads to the Base Station and the Funicular Railway which takes pasengers up the mountain .
The place was less busy than it normally is in summer , the train wasn't running due to problems with the track or should I say the ground that the tracks are laid on . There were still a few visitors about , it was a lovely sunny day but being so high up it was bloody freezing and I had forgotten to bring my coat with me , all I had was my fleece . Every picnic table was covered in a layer of snow so we took out an old blanket that we'd left in the boot of the car for moving furniture recently and sat down to eat our mince pies and drink our mugs of cocoa . Strangely enough we were the only ones there having a picnic , everyone else were either in the shop or walking up the hills but we didn't care , we were happy and the mince pie were the best I'd ever eaten .
Life can be tedious and it can be boring but if you can take time out to do something you enjoy you can create some good memories too and they don't always have to cost a fortune .
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Discussing on LinkedIn who should be on the next £50 note and there's been some support for Thatcher. I said she shouldn't be anywhere near our money and suggested Bobby Moore as a better alternative. Apparently you have to have been a Scientist to get on a £50, which is fair enough and this was conveyed to me politely by somebody. However some keyboard warrior chimes in and calls Bobby Moore a pleb, with football being the 'most corrupt sport in history'. Now the latter might be true but the pleb comment has really riled me. I've really had to bite my tongue as i'd like to slap this idiot into next week :x
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Thatcher will never, ever feature on any of our notes.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Stuff that should be on NUMB muddying the Snug.
It's called Thread Overlap, a well known natural phenomenon discovered in the early 1800's but dismissed by many until it exploded over internet forums in 1863 during the great Florence Nightingale debate, and we all know how that ended.........
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Dell field engineers who turn up late, don't know what they are doing and then f*** off to lunch for 2 hours. Bravo :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I bet you can't wait for the "How did we do?" email...
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

stuboy wrote:Dell field engineers who turn up late, don't know what they are doing and then **** off to lunch for 2 hours. Bravo
Talking of Dell, we have had about 5 different account managers in the last 2 years and each time they bloody ring up with a hard sales call.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

stuboy wrote:Dell field engineers who turn up late, don't know what they are doing and then **** off to lunch for 2 hours. Bravo :thup:
You've just described 75% of my workforce.

In fact, in my job it's even better because they invariably expect me to tell them - step by step - how to do their job.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Apparently you have to have been a Scientist to get on a £50, which is fair enough
Yeah they probably pointed out that she worked as a research chemist in the commercial field, but I suspect that being honoured on a banknote means you've got to have been involved in some ground-breaking endeavour or, in this case, to have been a female achieving recognition for such in a 'male dominated' world.
Reckon the fave is the lady who was working towards the structure of DNA at the same time as Watson & Crick, but I'm ****ed if I can remember her name. Hence the need for recognition!

As for calling Sir Bobby a 'pleb', hanging's too good.

(sorry MB)
Last edited by vietnammer on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

djclipz wrote: Talking of Dell, we have had about 5 different account managers in the last 2 years and each time they bloody ring up with a hard sales call.
We have this with HP. I know people that change their under crackers less than HP chance Account managers.
A prime example, We had a meeting on a Friday with a new account manager. flew down from Scotland just to meet us. We rang his number the following Wednesday, & he had moved to cover other customers!
Luckily, we don't get the hard sell, as we have a gold partner reseller in between that protect us from that nonsense.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

sendô wrote:Thatcher will never, ever feature on any of our notes.
How ironic that if she did end up on a £50 note, the only people likely to see her on it, would be those who voted for her or those who would have voted for her..
But, no, I agree with sendô, she'll never be on our money. Far too divisive.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

On the slow train home. I’ve had 9 pints. No loo on this train.

Ideas?
Samba

Post by Samba »

DasNutNock wrote:On the slow train home. I’ve had 9 pints. No loo on this train. Ideas?
Hmm, desperation stakes.
Any windows you can open & flop the old boy out?
Have you got any bags without holes in?
Definitely loosen any tight waistband.
Under no circumstances, think about dripping taps, waterfalls or tsunamis...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Got off at Hersham (2 stops early). Pissed on a wall. Next train in only 25 minutes. FFS.
Samba

Post by Samba »

DasNutNock wrote:Got off at Hersham (2 stops early). Pissed on a wall. Next train in only 25 minutes. FFS.
Sometimes needs must..
You'll probably want to go again, in 25 minutes..