The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Czech Hammer »

Not a great fan of Tyson Fury. However, his interview after fight night brought a lump to my throat, and then made me want to conquer the world.
westhamshares
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by westhamshares »

Been absent from this thread for a while and it does me good to get a reality check by reading this and realising that not everybody Seems to sail through life without any apparent issues.

I’m really grateful and proud of those who explain what is going on on their life - that is the sign of true manhood not the billy big bolloxs that says you keep it to yourself absolute cr*p

We probably all have issues just most of us bury or ignore them.

a number of the points made resonate with members of my family who clearly could do with help but for whatever reason are not getting and/or seeking it and reading this thread again has made me resolve to ensure these people get help sooner rather than later.

The offer I have made previously to meet anybody who wants someone to talk to at a game pre or post home or away still stands.

On that score I’m unable to use a couple of tickets for Cardiff on Tuesday so if anybody who posts on here wants a pair for free or just the one please message me directly. Tickets are in block 114 which is great for atmosphere but it is important to note that this is a standing area .

Will use the eticketing service to transfer the Ticket to you.

please take on board the sage advice and always seek help and discuss your issues on here in an anonymous way if you feel you can’t discuss with people you know

Wishing you all the best
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

westhamshares.

You really are a top man.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

mushy wrote:westhamshares.

You really are a top man.
Absolutely.

:thup:
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

I had my referral over the phone today. It's a six month wait to see someone but in the meantime there's some online thing I can do. Depending on the cost, I might go private. I felt really down after the call but tonight's game and spending some time with a certain member of this forum really helped.

I'm reading The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer at the moment. This line really ****ing pissed me off today:
There are more women who attempt suicide than men.
That's because the vast majority of men don't attempt, they succeed, and women are a) better at talking about their problems and b) do it as a cry for help (75%-80% of suicides are carried out by men). Ok, the book is almost 50 years old, but I doubt the statistics have changed that much in this time (PTSD, anyone?) To manipulate statistics about something as serious as suicide in order to suit an agenda is ****ing disgusting.
Last edited by Rocket on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mushy

Post by mushy »

Rocket, am glad you got your referal, bit of a shame that its six months though.
As for the Germaine Greer stats you quote, they are largely correct, males are much more likely to commit suicide then females, males are also more likely to select a grizzly method of death then females.
Am not sure what you mean when you say she is manipulating statistics to support her own agenda though, I see nothing of that from the paragraph you have quoted, maybe there is more to it then stated.

The only thing I may disagree with what she says is that females are more likely to try then males, am not actually sure about that anymore.

What is true is that males are more than three times more likely to die through suicide then females.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Male,female does it matter?
A young friend of mine (29) took her life 10 days ago. We'd talked and supported each other over a few years, but she moved away from her family and friends to try and leave the demons behind.She's left a trail of devastated lives, those who never really understood,and a few of us who perhaps did but were powerless to help.I'm sad but just now really angry, maybe,in a purely selfish way, because I see the effects it has on loved ones and how this easy out for me would permanently maim my childrens' lives.
I've no trite answers, no easy solution.Nothing.
At my age attending funerals becomes a fairly regular occurrence, this next one's just so pointless.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Mushy, I have amended my post to make it clearer as I think you misunderstood it. The bit I've put as a quote is all she says, the rest is me.

Tenbury, of course it doesn't matter and I'm deeply sorry about your friend. It's horrible.

It angered me because suicide is a majority male problem and there is a 'men are strong, women are weak' stereotype which really doesn't help.
mushy

Post by mushy »

Thank you Rocket, I see what you mean now.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Had a pretty rough couple of past two days. Felt pretty low.

Anyone know if there's a test you can do for SAD or Vit D deficiency?
mushy

Post by mushy »

:asleep:
Tenbury wrote:Male,female does it matter?
A young friend of mine (29) took her life 10 days ago. We'd talked and supported each other over a few years, but she moved away from her family and friends to try and leave the demons behind.She's left a trail of devastated lives, those who never really understood,and a few of us who perhaps did but were powerless to help.I'm sad but just now really angry, maybe,in a purely selfish way, because I see the effects it has on loved ones and how this easy out for me would permanently maim my childrens' lives.
I've no trite answers, no easy solution.Nothing.
At my age attending funerals becomes a fairly regular occurrence, this next one's just so pointless.
The gender thing only matters of there is a disproportionate imbalance, and in this case it seems there is, once established research can be done into the reasons why and hopefully save a few more lives.
That's why it matters.
Am really sorry to hear about your young friend, it must be truly devesatating for those close to her. You mention that you are angry about this, are you angry with her for her choice or is it something else?.
Above all else Tenbury, what about you?
Are you doing ok?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

prince_huggy wrote:Had a pretty rough couple of past two days. Felt pretty low.

I know what you mean about SAD - the short dull days when you never see the home in daylight is a bit testing. I went out for a run this morning just before daylight and that really picked me up. One part that I did find particularly uplifting was doing a few laps around a small park ( a 500m circuit). Each time I went around it, it was getting lighter and that somehow lifted me.

I don’t know if you run but even walking around a local park might help. The park doesn’t necessarily need to be a formal park but any open area where there is grass, trees and planting (rather than walking in more urban built up areas). If you do give it a go, it would be genuinely good to know how you felt after it. More and more GPs are prescribing some form of exercise in open space - so would be good to put it to the test. It works for me - every time I finish a run/walk, I feel heaps better.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Mushy.
It was an unhelpful and off topic post.
The overwhelming majority of MH issues can be overcome with help, and the sooner it's sought out the better.
There's an issue behind availability of treatment, but that shouldn't put off anyone.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Nice one PJ. I cycle (all bit it for a short time) five mornings and evenings of the week. Does help a bit.

I marvel at the creation around us most days, even if it's just fussing my cat. This always puts a smile on my face. No denying it, cats were made to want fussing and to give us a good feeling when fussing them. Pretty much the same as dogs really.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Tenbury wrote:Mushy.
The overwhelming majority of MH issues can be overcome with help, and the sooner it's sought out the better.
There's an issue behind availability of treatment, but that shouldn't put off anyone.

Tenners, sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, as always you can always PM me if you need a chat.

I think you're being a little harsh on Mushy though, mate, I don't see anything in which he said that was either unhelpful or off topic, In my opinion Mushy is one of this threads biggest contributors in terms of help/support/advice, so if you feel that anything he wrote was unhelpful, I'm sure that was far from his intentions.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

My post FFS, not his.
Sometimes I wish I'd never woken up.Mushy ,sorry , I meant MY post was unhelpful not yours.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Tenbury wrote:My post FFS, not his.
Sometimes I wish I'd never woken up.Mushy ,sorry , I meant MY post was unhelpful not yours.
Ah my mistake, don't sweat the small stuff, mate. :thup:
mushy

Post by mushy »

Tenbury wrote:Mushy.
Sorry Tenbury, am trying hard to keep up here.
Which post was unhelpful and off topic?

Whoops! Just seen your reply.
Don't worry about it.
The beauty of this thread is that we can spout off any old bollox without fear of reprimand or judgement.
You carry on Mr Tenbury.
It's all good as far as I am concerned!
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Hi Tenbury.
I didn't think your post was o/t or unhelpful. It was an honest post about how you're feeling & how a friends tragic actions have deeply affected you, as it would do to anyone of us.
Whenever I hear of someone doing that, I also think, we're not here for long anyway, what a f**king waste.
Look after yourself mate.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

prince_huggy wrote:Had a pretty rough couple of past two days. Felt pretty low.
Sorry to hear that, ph.
I think SAD is really confirmed by looking back (over a long period of time) as to when you have periods of 'downs'. If it turns out you pretty much suffer at all times of the year, docs are much more likely to rule SAD out, although (I reckon) that you might still be affected by the changing light levels over the year.
Maplins (sadly departed) used to sell reasonably priced light boxes but I don't know how good they were.
Even this time of year, as Pablo rightly said & you already know, we can still get useful early morning light.
Don't forget, the shortest day is not far off & the days will already start to lengthen!
As for Vit D, I heard/read that most people in the UK would probably be quite deficient because of our relatively northern position on the planet. However, the NHS & GP's do not agree with this (I believe, as it would cost them quite a lot of money, prescribing for us all). They view taking suppliments as a 'lifestyle choice' & not something that the NHS should be funding. They are not always correct though.
Remember, Vit D levels are a combination of the right foods & THEN our skin exposure to sunlight. One cannot not work without the other. Obviously, much harder to get sunlight, at this time of year. And yes, religious groups who have total body covering are usually, really lacking in Vit D.
Anyway, I hope your recent low will soon pass.