West Ham Utd 0-2 Watford (22/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Watford FC: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

They wanted it more. We were second best all afternoon, and got what we deserved.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Thought we had three or four chances that could easily have been goals on another night.

We're still producing good chances :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

jaybs wrote:Second best on the day, we had our chances and did not take them, the second half bringing on No ( did not help in any way, offered little, we could have had a least one point!

Too true, those chances we missed were criminal
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we looked second best in midfield and that's where they did us. capoure and dacoure were much better than noble and rice and co.
They showed the commitment we lacked and deserved to win.

The ref was terrible and the freekick scenario was disgraceful. can we not as a club protest about him as he was worst seen at the bowl and that takes some doing.

what I noticed is that we are too nice a team. no gets in the refs ear like deeney was for them.

one game lost but it was a big test for us and as usual the media team put out the stupid quotes from players and it backfired.

Arthur was better going forward than mosy of our attackers but defensively still dodgy.
noble very poor in midfield and weak in the tackle.

we seem to lose every 50/50 ball due to lack of how to tackle.

onto southampton and that will be a tough one as they have started to pick up under the new manager

we have a few days break until then so same team for me and make changes for burnley on the sunday.

time to bounce back west ham
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

We didn’t need Deeney in our side to win, all we needed to do was take our chances. Not saying we deserved 3pts or played particularly well (though thought we were better 2nd half) but we didn’t do what we did at Fulham, which is make the most of very good chances when we haven’t played that well. Antonio scores that header and we are back at 1-1 with just 10 minutes to go. If Chicharito takes one of his 2/3 also. I can’t remember who mentioned the fine margins earlier in the thread, but that probably sums it up for me.

I can’t stand Deeney personally. Ever since he slated Payet for which was a fantastic price of skill which actually came off. No need for that goal reaction either. There’s giving the fans some back and there’s acting like he did. He should’ve been booked the ****.
Last edited by il_martello_di_genovesi on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Watford edged it. Giving up a second when chasing an equaliser happens sometimes:

Check out @Caley_graphics’s Tweet: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

A draw would have been a fair result. We deserved to go behind after a stonewalled but f*** me Watford rode their luck from then on with the side of some predictable dodgy reffing from that ****er.

As for Balbuena, he made a rare piss poor challenge and it happens. Long as he keeps them to a bare minimum I can accept that. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad either because we need him back asap.

As for Deeney, well done on smashing a goal in from 12 yards you morbidly obese looking freak of nature who's face could only be improved if it was doused with acid.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

We definitely got out-muscled in midfield. Maybe it would of been a better shout to go with Obiang and Rice as Noble was quite poor yesterday, he wasn’t great against Fulham either and has regressed a bit after finding a bit of form a few games back. Saying that though I thought our passing was generally sloppy yesterday and we didn’t really get any momentum going until the second half, and the thing just wouldn’t go in the net for us.

Watford always seem to get a result against us and I said before the game I thought Delofeu would score. I rate him quite a bit, annouing that we didn’t take him instead of Joao Mario when we were linked last season, although I would imagine that would of been a Moyes’ decision.

And yes, Deeney is a plum. If you’re going round winding up the opposition fans on the pitch you can’t not expect to get it back.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Watford are an odd side - they either seem to play brilliant or rubbish, with not much in between.

Also find it interesting that despite feeling something like twenty managers in four years they have maintained a physical and aggressive style of play - that must be driven by a couple of core dressing room players.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Colours never run wrote: As for Deeney, well done on smashing a goal in from 12 yards you morbidly obese looking freak of nature who's face could only be improved if it was doused with acid.
That's way over the top mate! Probably some eye shadow and a little blusher would make a difference.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

steps wrote:We definitely got out-muscled in midfield. Maybe it would of been a better shout to go with Obiang and Rice as Noble was quite poor yesterday, he wasn’t great against Fulham either and has regressed a bit after finding a bit of form a few games back. Saying that though I thought our passing was generally sloppy yesterday and we didn’t really get any momentum going until the second half, and the thing just wouldn’t go in the net for us.

I thought Nobles passing wasn't that poor, more average than anything for him. 32 passes with 84% is a healthy enough return but I would say a couple were really bad with 1 going directly out for a throw in unecessarily. He was though totally ineffectual yesterday when it came to tackling chasing shadows. He just weren't in the game at all stamping his authority on the game and it showed with Watford mostly bossing the midfield centrally. You're dead right in pointing out in general the teams passing was dreadful. At best, rushed, at worst careless a lot of time.
Colours never run

duncanio wrote:
That's way over the top mate! Probably some eye shadow and a little blusher would make a difference.

I'm not saying anyone should do it, just simply demonstrating just how pig ugly the cretin is. And he knows it, hence his girly fits whenever we comment on his appearance.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

According to 'another website', Hernandez 'felt a hamstring' but it's hoped he could be available over Christmas. Balbuena has done knee ligaments, will have a scan later in the week but he could be out "two or three weeks or longer"
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Colours never run wrote: I thought Nobles passing wasn't that poor, more average than anything for him. 32 passes with 84% is a healthy enough return but I would say a couple were really bad with 1 going directly out for a throw in unecessarily. He was though totally ineffectual yesterday when it came to tackling chasing shadows. He just weren't in the game at all stamping his authority on the game and it showed with Watford mostly bossing the midfield centrally. You're dead right in pointing out in general the teams passing was dreadful. At best, rushed, at worst careless a lot of time.
also thought Carroll was mainly ineffectual, not actually sure what he does now. I thought with him coming on he might rough up their defenders a bit and us as a team go a bit more direct with him as a focal point.

But that never seemed to happen.
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by chuffster »

I see West Ham have 'vowed to ban for life' the fan who threw a plastic coffee cup towards Deeney after his goal celebration....un ****ing believable! :evil:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:According to 'another website', Hernandez 'felt a hamstring' but it's hoped he could be available over Christmas. Balbuena has done knee ligaments, will have a scan later in the week but he could be out "two or three weeks or longer"

Ffs

Honestly there’s no point having good players they pull/tear/strain something as soon as they hit a bit of form.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Another injury crisis....quelle surprise.

No complaints about the penalty and the defending for the second was piss poor as well.

Bring a left back and decent box to box central midfielder in FFS.
droshky
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by droshky »

Nobody’s mentioned our penalty shout, the one given outside the box,and when their wall stood 6 yards away. It wasn’t on motd either. Anyone watch a stream and confirm the trip was in
/outside the box?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:
You can't out-pass a team if they win the ball every time it matters.

Our central spine was second best all over today with the possible exception of Diop.

They matched us technically and beat us physically.
Agreed, we lost the battle by them winning pretty much every second ball. Yes, the ref was crap and weak and we missed chances that we shouldn't have but that wasn't the reason we lost.
Patito

Post by Patito »

droshky wrote:Nobody’s mentioned our penalty shout, the one given outside the box,and when their wall stood 6 yards away. It wasn’t on motd either. Anyone watch a stream and confirm the trip was in
/outside the box?

Thought it looked just outside the box in all honesty.

The wall was a joke though, ref didn’t measure the full 10 properly. It happened a few times and he seemed to have the hump with the fact our players kept requesting the full 10 yards.