West Ham Utd 0-2 Watford (22/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Watford FC: match thread

Post by Harry Hound »

Not a great result, nor a great performance but to be fair both teams were fairly equal, they were more physical and well drilled and we were more skillful but less decisive, though Anderson had a fairly quiet game. The result, however in some ways could be OK for us on reflection as it will show to the board beyond doubt that we definitely need to sign a few players in the next window. :hush:
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Although we missed chances i thought Watford were the better side we couldnt cope with their physical side. A couple of there midfield players would improve our side
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Marky wrote:I know Diangana is Academy so gets a lot of slack but I think he isn’t quite good enough....no real end product. I think he needs a loan to the championship. I think he is at the level of Sears or Cullen
100% disagree. He’s not the finished article but is exactly where he should be - in and around the starting 11 with plenty of opportunities off the bench - to help him kick on to the next level.

I’m genuinely trying to remember the last time loaning out one of our prospects worked out well for us. If we want to attract the best young talent, we need to show them there’s a direct route to the first team.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

I thought Diangana looked great when he came on. Gave that defender twisted blood before crossing for the Snod/Antonio headers. All-in-all a pretty good performance but no luck in front of goal.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Thought we played ok and on another day we could have won that game 2-1. Unfortunately until we learn how to defend better we are always going to be susceptible to getting beat in the manor we did yesterday. But at the end of the day, I am throughouly enjoying the football we are playing at the moment, even in defeat you can still almost guarantee an exciting game of football. Thank you MP.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:I thought Watford were excellent. Apart from the top 2 teams, they are the only side to deserve to beat us.

There seems to be a complacency when it comes to the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford and Wolves. Too much expectation in a glossy stadium that those Clubs love coming to burst.

If Deeney had been playing for us we would have won. I don’t really get the hate - I quite like seeing throwbacks who don’t look like they should be anywhere near the pitch ruffle feathers.

Got caught with our pants down today.
Best post :thup:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Same as previous losses. Our three/four attacking players were not able to hang onto the ball for any length of time, continually gave it away.

So loads of good possession for their midfielders allowed waves of attacks.

With Snoddy playing wide Noble and Rice had to be deep, There was no shortage of good passes from them to the attacking players.

We've got away with this recently because our finishing was way better than our opponents. That was always likely to be reversed.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

I still f**king hate Watford.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Entertaining match. Both sides blew a few decent chances in front of goal, but Watford deserved the win. Biggest reasons why we couldn't manage to nick a point:

1. Anderson had a very quiet day. Could only watch the match once - streaming - and I'm not sharp enough to tell from one viewing if he was having an off-day or if the opposition midfield and RB did a very good job in keeping him quiet. Suspect it was the latter.

2. Converting chances. Actual performance very similar to Fulham last week, with exception being Anderson (see above). Biggest difference from Fulham was a) we failed to score when presented with similar opportunities b) Watford took a couple of theirs.

Overall, match was far more entertaining than Fulham because Watford - and credit to them here - play an open game and are quite happy to concede space and let teams run at them.

Saw some comments on here questioning the penalty. From my perspective 5,000 miles from goal with a heavily pixellated screen it was a penalty all day long.

Overall a great match, we lost . . . so what. All Pellegrini can do is set us up to win. Execution is down to the players on the pitch. We'll have a lot more days like yesterday and hopefully a lot more where the ball actually gets in the back of the net at the right end.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

richneal wrote: Overall a great match, we lost . . . so what. All Pellegrini can do is set us up to win. Execution is down to the players on the pitch. We'll have a lot more days like yesterday and hopefully a lot more where the ball actually gets in the back of the net at the right end.
100%
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we lost the match in central midfield where they bossed us with dacoure and capoue . Just what we needed.

instead we had noble snoddy and Anderson all below par leaving rice overworked !

need to sign a decent DM in janaury or summer
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Thought we were also beaten tactically, we didn't get near Delafeou all day.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

true and Anderson is a worry not tracking back as he does. masuaka gets criticised a lot and deservedly at times but he has no cover in front of him. however for the second goal he just watched them score. no desire to get near to try and put off. poor second goal by a lot of our players.
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote:true and Anderson is a worry not tracking back as he does. masuaka gets criticised a lot and deservedly at times but he has no cover in front of him.

Which is funny because Anderson has made more tackles than any other winger in the league...
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Doc's post is a very fair summary. One of those games that could have been 4-3 either way but they took 2 of their many chances, we didn't take any of ours. We got away with it against Fulham but not this time. Other results didn't go out way but hey ho.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Did I read a Watford fan say in the OV that the ref was biased towards us?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The other thing about Watford is they have a relatively settled side that has been playing together for a while.

Yes they introduce new players here and there, but the whole back four, doucore, capoue, pereya, deeney have been playing together for at least 18 months. Their squad players are, in the main, also players who have been there a while

We are much more a 'work in progress', esp with the injuries we have

He might be injured at the moment but I would be interested to see if there is any option of buying Chalobah off them. I think he is behind Doucore and Capoue in the pecking order but is a cracking player IMHO and just what we need