Southampton 1-2 West Ham Utd (27/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by WestHammer »

If anyone fancies some enjoyable lunchtime viewing...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham counter

Blogger "no, no, no..."

West Ham away fans "yea...."

Beautiful moment
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

davids cross wrote:I managed to catch the breakaway second goal on video....
Andy Carroll (Hulk)........trailing ....Image
Brilliant! It WAS quite like that!
And if you look carefully, at the top of the picture, there's Wilf Zaha, flying through the air. Even though we weren't playing Palace..
Graza

Post by Graza »

'stone hammer wrote:Great game and we deserved that win. The best thing for me is that two of our most important players in Snodgrass and Antonio are players that we'd previously written off. Antonio in particular looked so dangerous from RB
I thought Antonio looked dangerous in both halves of the field. How they didn't pick up on it and exclusively play down our right I'll never know. Diangana looks useful but is so easily brushed off sustained pressure down our right would have yeilded goals. But going forward he definitely looked more like the player he was before his injury lay off.

Rice was MOTM for me, yes Anderson scored the goals but the lad read the game so well all night he swooped in and stopped all sorts of trouble before it happened. Also the only player in our colours not gifting weak passes to the opposition.

Really looking forward to the opposition view after that. Southampton seem to have a real superiority complex where we are involved and their tears will be like fine wine to savour.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I have to say I was slightly surprised how pessimistic some were when they saw our starting 11. Even with so many players missing I didn't think it was a particularly bad 11. There were only question marks over Antonio at rightback and Perez up top in his own. If anything my only concern was the options we had on the bench. But the fact we could still call upon Carroll, who always strikes fear into centre halves, Masuaku with his pace and dribbling and of course captain Noble, that bench wasn't still half bad.

I certainly thought if that team played to it's potential we may be able to pick up a point.

I actually thought if Pellegrini played that central 3 midfield against Watford we at least would've avoided defeat.

It certainly shows why having a big squad is so important. Isn't it nice to know now if certain players are missing we can no longer panic but feel slightly more confident we have a few decent players that can step up and do a job.

Just look at Yarmalenko getting injured as the perfect example. We were all gutted to lose him and he looked a great player up until his injury. Previous seasons we would've questioned what will we do. Now we can all say yes it's very disappointing to lose a player of Yarmalenko's ability. But have no fear, we have Diangana, Snodgrass and Antonio who can all play there :thup:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I thought we were fantastic, and I think everyone did their bit again. The way we controlled that game by keeping the ball and building attacks from the back was unbelievable. Rice was as much as of a star man as Anderson was and I think Cresswell did well too.

I’m surprised by how deep Southampton were though. The free space behind our defenders made it so easy for us to defend. Quite often their attackers failed to even get close to goal side of ours, giving the likes of Diop and Ogbonna so much time and room to marshall the player and win the ball.

Given the players we have out, to perform like we did is something to be proud of.
Patito

Post by Patito »

JuniorBilly wrote:If anyone fancies some enjoyable lunchtime viewing...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What an absolute Lawro...
DorsetSaint
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by DorsetSaint »

Well done chaps, you deserved that. I did tell you we were a bit pants though :wink:

I was reminded yesterday reading this thread that there are some things more important than footy. So I'll wish you all well, see you in May.
hammers56

Post by hammers56 »

JuniorBilly wrote:If anyone fancies some enjoyable lunchtime viewing...

So so good
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

davids cross wrote:I managed to catch the breakaway second goal on video....

Andy Carroll (Hulk)........trailing ...
Bravo!
hammers56

Post by hammers56 »

Went last night and even in the back row the atmosphere was amazing - one of the best I have been too. We had quite a few injuries but this squad seem to play for each other and really care. In previous years we would have rolled over at 1-0. The passing and use of the ball continues to improve and in Anderson I think we have a real star - he gets better every week.

For me I thought Cresswell was excellent and deserves to start and I was shocked by how well Antonio played - the usual defensive lapse but he seems to have got his confidence back and was a real threat. Rice brilliant as usual. For me Perez the only player who could have done more.

Big game Sunday, let's make it 6 from 7 for December! :crest: :scarfer:
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

What a great win that was. I'm a glass half full sort of bloke but with the number of players out last night and Southampton's upturn in fortunes I had my doubts.
Fair play to everyone last night for a committed dominant performance away from home. A ridiculous hand ball for their goal but two great goals from us. Oh and Delcan is just getting better and better.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Stop it at 3.23.

Tony Gale in with our mob last night.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

Will never tire of watching Anderson's 2nd goal last night. Two absolutely sublime touches to kill the travelling ball while running at pace takes some doing. The finish was top class as well. Probably my favourite goal so far this season, long may the free flowing attacking West Ham continue :crest:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DorsetSaint wrote:Well done chaps, you deserved that. I did tell you we were a bit pants though :wink:
I was reminded yesterday reading this thread that there are some things more important than footy. So I'll wish you all well, see you in May.
Actually think you'll be alright, mate. There are definitely at least 3 teams not as good as you but, you have got to pick up the points, when you can.
Hope you have a happy new year!
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Wonderful counter attacking football from us, the sort we got done by with Chelsea and Liverpool, different class for second goal .
Old Pellers seems to be able to conjure a tune from any eleven we put out, and he looks a bit like Gandalf to.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

WestHammer wrote: 6.02

West Ham counter

Blogger "no, no, no..."

West Ham away fans "yea...."

Beautiful moment
Like watching an episode of Vicar of Dibley, but much funnier :lol:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Was that the most complete performance we've given in the recent run?

I felt we dominated all but the first 5 minutes of each half, whereas we've been reeling at times in other games and relying on opposition strikers missing clear cut chances.

Huge amount of character shown as well after their fortuitous goal.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

bubbles1966 wrote:Was that the most complete performance we've given in the recent run?

I felt we dominated all but the first 5 minutes of each half, whereas we've been reeling at times in other games and relying on opposition strikers missing clear cut chances.

Huge amount of character shown as well after their fortuitous goal.

Yes agreed I thought best performance of 2018 bearing in mind the injuries
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Huge amount of character shown as well after their fortuitous goal.
Think that the injustice of it fired us up. Whilst we seemed in control i felt there was an extra 5-10% finesse all over the pitch after that Soton goal went in.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Hopefully Cresswell gets a run now, a much better defender and footballer than Masuaku.