Southampton 1-2 West Ham Utd (27/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Disco wrote:...making comment about the view at the MCG being better than the London Stadium :lol:
Doc H Ball wrote:
Definitely PP. He’s going through the MCG annual accounts as we speak.
Getting stalked on a different continent :scarfer:

Funnily enough I felt compelled to tweet the MCG and congratulate them on their fair and affordable pricing.

Australia is very expensive generally but the cricket was about the third of the price I paid for a comparable seat at the Oval, and the food and drink around half the price of the London stadium.

76,000 turned up. Actually turned up that is. Affordable family entertainment.

I'm due back for the Arsenal game but if we keep winning in my absence I I may catch a later flight
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

I thought the MCG was horrendous, the worst cricket ground I have been to. It’s a nice walk in from the city though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ bubbles and marky

might thought initially after the game.

let's be honest this Soton had been on a bit of a bounce, beaten the Gooners and were expecting to continue their roll.

with the team we had out, although most definitely we had some top players there, it wasn't by far our strongest side we could put out not even counting the long term injuries.

I thought looking at the team, we might nick it if we kept it close and was hopeful honestly of a draw.

ecstatic with the way we pretty much (after the first nervy 5 minutes or so) ran the rest of the game.

now we didn't dominate ManC or the Bin Dippers but it was a tough away fixture coming on the back of a very disappoint performance and loss and no one could honestly have been surprised to see this one go pear shaped.

top marks and I think it was the performance of the season in all context.

:thup: :thup:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

davids cross wrote:Stop it at 3.23.

Tony Gale in with our mob last night.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I saw him when going into the ground. Top bloke.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Wish someone had started chanting ‘Keith Hackett is a ****er’.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Up the Junction wrote: as unpopular as this may be, and with credit where it is rightly due, that's down to Dave Sullivan Snr and his team.
Give that man a press pass.

One of the best things Pellegrini has done is to revitalise players who looked like they were finished at the club. Snodgrass, Hernandez and now Antonio. Maybe he can do the same for Carroll.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

spod wrote:One of the best things Pellegrini has done is to revitalise players who looked like they were finished at the club. Snodgrass, Hernandez and now Antonio. Maybe he can do the same for Carroll.
He's performed miracles but I'm not sure he can do the impossible... :D
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

JuniorBilly wrote:If anyone fancies some enjoyable lunchtime viewing...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want this as my text message receipt alert

"No...no....no....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" :scarfer: (Anderson's second goal)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

spod wrote:One of the best things Pellegrini has done is to revitalise players who looked like they were finished at the club. Snodgrass, Hernandez and now Antonio. Maybe he can do the same for Carroll.
Samba wrote: He's performed miracles but I'm not sure he can do the impossible... :D
Impossibilities we can do now..... Miracles will take a lot longer...

:wink:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I just watched the Rice penalty incident on Soccer Saturday and I know I am biased in my views but.
All I can see is Rice standing his ground with the Saints player trying to get a run ion goal,,Rice having none of it and the Saints player pushing into Rice,but like the rock he is not moving,Rices arm and I can only see one ,is in the only place it can be when someone is leaning into you ,so as the ball comes in the Saints player takes his body away from Rice and throws himself forward ,Rice falls forward because of the release of pressure of the Saints players body.
At no point did Rice push the player,just held his ground ,so why did the Saints player go down ,because he knew he was no where near the ball and took a dive.
Rice said he went down easy ,which he did,that's why the ref did not award the penalty ,in my very biased opinion .
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

I know if what Rice does was done against a West Ham player I would want the pen.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

only1post wrote:I know if what Rice does was done against a West Ham player I would want the pen.
Always the best way to judge these things. If we had conceded a goal under those circumstances, the outrage on here would be unreal.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Southampton
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133122
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

What's happened to these chaps? Used to be reliably among the snarkiest, most passive aggressive supporters in the land.

That set of comments was almost....magnanimous. Two years of being the league's most boring team must puncture some of the hubris I guess.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Southampton
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133122
Quite balanced I thought. Even a sly acknowledgement that their goal was balls. No mention of Snoddy getting body checked for going round their boy in the box though...
Skandi Brudson wrote: Always the best way to judge these things. If we had conceded a goal under those circumstances, the outrage on here would be unreal.
The issue is where Rice's arms are. If the ball had been delivered anywhere near the incident I think it's a pen. You simply can't have two arms round an opponent in the box. Has he lent into him not the other way round? Yes. Has he gone down very easily? Yes. Why did Rice go with him? Because he has his arms wrapped round him. We go off with that one, but they got off with a penalty and a flying forearm for a goal so in the end we probably still edged it. If Perez had hit the target in the first half it may well have been a very different result.

Oddly looking forward to Burnley now.