Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Cheers Joe.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Let's have some things right here....

Not the worse owners we have ever had? - Really, whilst we've had some **** owners in the past, no one has ever lied and treat the fan base with the contempt these c**** have. Turfed us out of our home so they could sell the ground (and let's not forget the spinning of the sale 24 hours after we'd sold it)

Lies about the stadium, lies about fan polls...lies lies lies.Lies about siphoning money out of the club and the interest rates

Refusal to meet fan groups and then revoking this very sites owner from attending media sessions.

No investment at all personally to take this club forward meaning that things like our training facilities are sub standard.

Constantly poor work in the transfer market, buying players the managers never wanted, undermining the managers in the press..Undermining Payet in the press.... it goes on and on and on and on...

Some people have been blinded by one decent transfer window, it's not the first time they have spent "big" in one window in relation to the money slopping around the premier league.. I am skeptical that they back it up in the summer, they never have previously..

The one thing I will give them credit for is landing Pelli...

They've never had death threats... but there are a few on here (myself included), who see the only way we get rid of these leeches and their gobshite bulldog is by some of them popping their clogs, I will not weep when that day happens.

Worse owners in my memory (I am 47), propped up by the amount of money sloshing around this league right now.

Razzle Dazzle seems to be working well
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Ozza :thup:
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

I wonder if comparisons with the Glazers are fair. Both groups are business men first and foremost. They saw an opportunity to buy a club in the Prem, by definition one of the highest turnover sports enterprises in the world. And both groups leverage the clubs own money, unnecessarily loaning at high interest rates. Of course GSB flogged a massive bit of capital too.

The difference is that while the Glazers have been anonymous, Sullivan and Brady are tacky self-serving publicists, who use the media to be divisive and self aggrandise. Presumably they see their approach as assisting their business dealings.

My question(s). What would we prefer? Have GSB looked at the anonymous owners who get criticised for being leeches and decided they need to be overtly seen as fans?
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

The difference being one is one of the richest clubs in the world producing a mountain of cash, spending hundreds of millions every year on players whilst playing in their own world class stadium....

The other is us...

I couldn't give a rats ares if they speak or not, it's the disgusting way they have run this club that I care about...

(actually i'd change that to I'd rather the three of them just STFU, it's cringeworthy when any of them open their mouths)
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

Ozza wrote:The difference being one is one of the richest clubs in the world producing a mountain of cash, spending hundreds of millions every year on players whilst playing in their own world class stadium....
Fair comment. And yes, we'd rather be Man Utd rich. But Glazer money didn't make that happen. I suppose I see the business model as very similar, but GSB add an extra layer of lying, insulting fans, and manipulation on top.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Good post Ozza.

Its a great honour to be the Custodian of our great football club with such a rich tapestry of history, with our great traditions, that set us apart from the rest of the crowd.

Yet this bunch treat her and her fans with contempt and only ever think about their pockets. That will be their legacy & how they are remembered.
IABATAC
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by IABATAC »

Ozza wrote:Let's have some things right here...
Spot on Ozza.

The softening attitude towards GSB by some supporters is reminiscent of a victim in an abusive relationship. It's effectively saying "but you should see him on a good day" while applying make up to cover the bruises.

They have brought nothing to the club but have taken so much. Compare and contrast GSB with Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha or Jack Walker or anyone on here if they had the kind of money GSB have got. GSB have invested fack all (I cannot and will not accept that the Sky money is an investment by ANY owner of a club), they sold UP on the cheap and they take a fortune in interest payments on risk free loans.

Let's not pretend they're treating us (WHU) with the dignity and respect we would employ were we to be in their shoes.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Ozza and IABATAC - :thup:

Five straight **** windows in a row surrounding their taking us from our home for no reason other than their greed and last summer's good window and signing Declan up is supposed to make us see them in a different light? f*** that and f*** that forever.

For a sizeable chunk us what they have done will never be forgotten or forgiven. They can get their minions to write all of the self-conglatuory missives that they want but there is absolutely NOTHING they can say or do to repair the damage they have done. That is 1,000,000% all on them.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Kissing their arses for doing what they should be doing and actually ****ed up previously, it stinks and makes me nauseous.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

showing a bit of competence is not really a cause for celebration. I doubt many people's personal view of GSB is changed at all. However it's not surprising that sulli trumpets the signing of declan's new contract as some kind of coup when we were running a whole thread on the subject, with people demanding he be paid as much money as we could throw at him and NOW. By getting ourselves in such a frenzy we.ve given him the chance to claim a great victory just for doing his job. Calm down dear, it's just a contract :lol:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Ozza wrote:Kissing their arses for doing what they should be doing and actually ****ed up previously, it stinks and makes me nauseous.
100%. They spent some money in the summer (after years of not) and signed our best young player to a new contract he clearly deserved. This is the bare minimum they should be doing as owners. It’s just like congratulating a player for working hard - it’s the least we should expect from them!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i may have mentioned it before, but they're ****ing ****ed ****ers and i hope they'll never enjoy a single moment in the short* rest of their lives.

* not a wish, just statistics as they're old already.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Ozza sums it up pretty well, but here’s my take on it.

They should not be credited (or shouting from the rooftops as they do) when they do things which should be happening as a standard - for example Declan’s contract as a recent example.

Let’s also not get sucked in to the £90m net spend this summer, that is 2 seasons of money which hadn’t been spent and the accounts go to show this (they’ve borrowed less than normal on the TV rights loan too, so ultimately they still have money to spend if they want to by loaning some more TV money now instead of waiting to July to get it).

The one thing I will give them credit for is Pellegrini - and perhaps all manager appointments they’ve made since Big Sam. Allardyce did what he needed to do in his time, Bilic gave us a great last season at the Boleyn, and Moyes kept us up when things were looking bleak. They often though don’t continue to back a manager and that will be the test with Pellegrini. That is where they’ve lost credit too.

The stadium move was built on lies, and to make it a success financially they have to have a good enough “product” on the pitch, which up until this year they’ve failed on. If we get to a place where we are consistently challenging for the top 7 or we win trophies, I’ll give them credit for that - this would no doubt bring price rises for season tickets which could give us millions more each year. The stadium has, and has had, many issues, and whilst they’re limited in what they can do to resolve this if the landlord is not helpful, ultimately they signed the deal so from a fans point of view the buck stops with them. If the relationship improves then good but they won’t get credit as this should be the case already. The place has potential we just need to meet it.

From a financial point of view I will accept the club is in a much better place than when they took us on, and better than other owners of us too in the past. Perhaps that is solely down to TV money but other clubs have also been there for that money too and aren’t in as good a place. They’ve run us as a business and the accounts reflect that. Unfortunately they lack “customer” care and don’t recognise loyalty which any top business does.

The money they have loaned the club is a funny one really. They don’t have to invest or give us money so I have no issue with them loaning it. The time the bulk of it was loaned was after we were relegated and we did need it. I do have an issue with them charging high rates of interest though, and taking back accrued interest instead of capital. Although I’m sure they could argue that they don’t take any dividends or salary and the interest is effectively that.

One other problem though for me is the constant PR which wouldn’t be out of place in North Korea, Russia, or by Trump. Just get on with the job, don’t talk to the press, which at times undermines the manager or the players, and almost all of the time pisses off the fans.

Ultimately if they can’t or won’t invest in the club to give us training facilities which are some of the best in the league, invest in the team to buy more world class players (not just from TV money), or do a lot more for fans, then they need to put the club for sale publicly at a fair and realistic price which allows somebody else to come and do that should they wish.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

They blew up The Boleyn Ground. They ****ing blew it up.

We could win the league, the Champions League, Miss World, the Royal Rumble and Junior Kickstart. I’d still think they were twats who have primarily used us to make themselves rich.

f*** em.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Ozza :thup: pretty much nailed on summary

& to those offering them any redemption, remember, Slav was handed a similarly decent transfer offering on his start, before learning all about their true ambition come that January (aka: Emenike)

Sadly I suspect we’ll be reminded what they’re really about again come February
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Put a pair of knickers on a c*nt and its still a c*nt, these 2 vermin wear knickers bigger than those worn by Bridgette Jones
Miles Standish Proud
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

Yes TTT - the blew it up for their own filthy profit at the same time as trading on the Old Girl's history by selling overpriced momentos.
They are driven entirely by greed and self-promotion and any benefit - such as a good transfer window or Declan signing a new contract - is a mere, albeit welcome, by-product.
I really cannot understand how anyone can't see through them. Vermin.
Bobby Moore Out
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Bobby Moore Out »

aaronhammer wrote:. . .here’s my take on it.

They should not be credited . . .
@aaronhammer, that's one of the most balanced posts I've read on here, and pretty close to my my take on things.

A few disconnected thoughts on what is a BIG subject:

As an overseas supporter (I prefer the word "follower", since I can't get over to support the team with my voice) for fifty years, I'm not directly impacted by how they treat the fans, but I understand the reasons for some of the derision they are subject to and the protests of last season. However, no matter how much you hate them, it is only fair to acknowledge when they get something right, even if it is self-serving; not to do so is blinkered and dishonest and inconsistent with demanding that they deal honestly with us.

We have a problem in that the fan base, taken as a whole, hardly covered itself in glory last year. Due to the actions of a few, we were seen as divided, unruly at the risk of public safety, abusive (to each other!) and of doubtful integrity (what DID happen to the Isla money?).

These sentences of yours sum them up perfectly:

"They’ve run us as a business and the accounts reflect that. Unfortunately they lack “customer” care and don’t recognise loyalty which any top business does."

Dealing with the supporters of a football team is not like dealing with a regular customer base: it's more like trying to negotiate a committee of 60,000 people. I suspect that most Premier League businessmen these days have the same view of their fan base as GSB. They're just better at hiding it.

I'm not a big fan, but if I were an East Ender I'd still prefer them over a Russian oligarch or a Saudi prince wit a dodgy record in human rights.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

They have abused the fans' trust and loyalty time and time again, to a degree where some fans can never forgive them now no matter what. They are what they are, two-faced, claiming to love West Ham, but loving money a lot more, using the former to get more of the latter. Basically in it for themselves, not caring one shrapnel for people who have supported the club from before they could walk and talk.

Interestingly enough we have got the cup game against their former club coming up.
It's a home game of course, but if it was being played in Brum, do you reckon they could expect a hero's welcome, with handshakes, jolly banter and banners praising them ?

Exactly. What we are seeing now with Pellegrini, I believe, is them finally protecting their Investment properly, make the bride look nice and proper, all done up in a nice dress, before selling us off to new owners. That's easier done with the club doing well looking to play international football again, with the foundations in place of a decent team. :crest: