Burnley FC 2-0 West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Loon

Re: ⚽ Burnley FC v West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12)

Post by Loon »

Thanks Samba - I read it quickly with my glasses off! :D
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Loon wrote:Thanks Samba - I read it quickly with my glasses off! :D
You're quite right in them both being boring though!
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

As I said in the Pellegrini thread. The boss wasn’t to blame for today. We’ve had 7 games this month. We have a threadbare squad due to the injury situation. We juggling 15/16 senior pros. Fatigue has set in. It was evident today. Yeah it’s disappointing but look at the bigger picture.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

I'm hoping that this was the repeat of our performance on New Year's Day 2007 rather than it happen on Wednesday.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Rio wrote:As I said in the Pellegrini thread. The boss wasn’t to blame for today. We’ve had 7 games this month. We have a threadbare squad due to the injury situation. We juggling 15/16 senior pros. Fatigue has set in. It was evident today. Yeah it’s disappointing but look at the bigger picture.
:thup:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Rio wrote:As I said in the Pellegrini thread. The boss wasn’t to blame for today. We’ve had 7 games this month. We have a threadbare squad due to the injury situation. We juggling 15/16 senior pros. Fatigue has set in. It was evident today. Yeah it’s disappointing but look at the bigger picture.
I get that but then surely it was a bit naive to go gung-ho 4-4-2 against this lot on their patch? The blue print should’ve been the Southampton game: Snodgrass moved centrally to thicken up the midfield. I think the gaffer may have slightly underestimated the opposition today and his post match comments hint at that a little bit. 4-3-3 against Brighton please.

To be fair Burnley were right on it today and gave as good a demonstration of the ‘high press’ as I think I’ve seen against us this season.
Castle
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Castle »

2.5 days is not enough to recover and prepare for a football match in this league. What sort of preparation could Pellegrini of done with the team in this time, not to mention the physical strain of playing two games in in less then three days bring.

I'm not surprised we have lost this, and won't be surprised if we lose a fair few in January, we just don't have enough bodies, what sort of shuffling could the boss do today other then that of Obiang for Noble, he couldn't risk losing the creativity of Snodgrass or Anderson or the defensive shield in Rice. Al

Anderson
Snodgrass
Rice
Diop
Fabianski

have not had more then a few days rest over the last 30 days, we are being forced to play players who are not 100% fit in Arnie and Carroll, we are risking injuries to our fit squad as we don't have enough in our squad to change.

Hopefully the injury to Balbuena isn't long term, the returns to Zabaleta, Hernandez and the arrival of Nasri really supports us in the next month or so.

We are going in the right direction, unfortunately we are still at the very start of Pellegrini's reign.
Last edited by Castle on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

:thup:
It’s Dyche, it’s Burnley, it’s 2 games in 3 days.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Fool - everyone knows mallets mallet is a hammer.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

jacko wrote:Who was that Burnley defender who fouled Carroll and then tried to pretend that he had been elbowed by AC knowing he was on a yellow? That was outrageous cheating.

Later on two centre backs went up with Carroll. One fell to the ground holding his head, appeared to be caught by his teammate. Proceeded to complain to the ref that Carroll had caught him.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

BBC Sport:

"We had a flight that arrived at 2am in the morning after playing Southampton. I was happy until two o'clock today. This was a game we were able to win - Burnley was in a bad moment but they played with intensity. Burnley recovered better because they had 30 or 35 hours' more [rest]."

I can't see why we didn't stay in a Southampton hotel Thursday night?? Swim, sauna whatever friday morning, then a leisurely coach trip north. No need to return to London!!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Morocco Mole wrote:I get that but then surely it was a bit naive to go gung-ho 4-4-2 against this lot on their patch? The blue print should’ve been the Southampton game: Snodgrass moved centrally to thicken up the midfield. I think the gaffer may have slightly underestimated the opposition today and his post match comments hint at that a little bit. 4-3-3 against Brighton please.

To be fair Burnley were right on it today and gave as good a demonstration of the ‘high press’ as I think I’ve seen against us this season.
It was an odd one f'sure when you look back at what we did to them at ours less than 2 months ago - a tight midfield 3 of Rice, Obiang and Snodders and bundles of pace out wide - diangana and anderson and arnie up front alone.

Even odder, bearing in mind how complete our performance was on Thursday. got to presume he's got data or something saying Obiang wasn't up to it etc, or he's made one or two difficult to fathom judgements.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

That stung a bit. :fsake:
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think we also looked a bit jaded although when I saw Hart dropped the writing looked on the wall :lol:
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

the pink palermo wrote: I'm not so sure, I recall playing at Turf Moor a year or 2 back, he started and Dyche had clearly instructed his centre backs to throw themselves to the floor early doors when jumping against Carroll, resulting in him being booked very early on, and thereby rendered ineffective for the rest of the game.

I'd start with Diangana as a No.10, lots of quick footwork in front of their cloggers and hopefully see them lose a CB to a careless tackle.

A day for skill and technique.
Well you weren’t wrong. They did the same trick against Carroll again today. Works a treat.
Last edited by jacko on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Pinky was spot on. A Burnley player hit the deck squealing last time Carroll played against them every challenge.

Dyche gives it the big northern hard man banging on against poncey divers....yet it's obvious he tells them to roll around crying as soon as Carroll breathes near them.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Poor all round (although a thin squad and a short turnaround didn’t help). Worst performance since Liverpool - was that the only other time we’ve worn grey?

I’m just happy I had a clear run there and back (especially back after the result). Wouldn’t mind if that’s the last time we have to go to Burnley for a while.

6 from 8 is fantastic and how we should look at it. On to Brighton, hopefully we will toughen up a bit as no doubt they’ll come at us in the same way.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

who is the right back for the under 23s surely with zab and fredricks out he is worth a try over this period, today was just a game too far for our stretched squad, read somewhere oxford played rightback in Germany on loan, Antonio needs to be further forward to make the most of his strong points
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I'm another one who thinks that we underestimated them a bit today.

Easy to say on hind sight, but I'd have gone with more of a 451 / 433 from the off and beefed up in the middle by starting Obiang.

We need the opposition to be very poor for us to be able to get away with a 442 formation otherwise we are too weak through the middle, Burnley were not poor today, far from it in fact.

Also no way I'd have started Perez as he is not exactly one for a rough, tough battle up at Burnley. I don't like starting Carroll anymore but I think today was one game that would have actually suited him down to a tee. Could have held Arnautovic back and used him as an impact sub, he clearly wasn't 100%.

Easy to point towards too many games and injuries but I still think we had the better starting XI on the day and it is not like we are the only team playing so many games.

They just wanted it a lot more for well over an hour in pretty much all areas.