Burnley FC 2-0 West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley FC v West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12)

Post by sendô »

I just rewatched it on MOTD and counted 7 clear cut chances for them that they really should have scored from.

We were lucky today.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I’d like to know who sanctioned the travel arrangements. Sounds like the boss wasn’t happy with it and when you consider Burnley had 2 home games, while we spent a lot of time traipsing up and down the country with a depleted squad, it hasn’t helped
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

sendô wrote:I just rewatched it on MOTD and counted 7 clear cut chances for them that they really should have scored from.

We were lucky today.
It's lucky they are crap and have no quality, Barnes and Wood could've had 6 between them, Wood especially
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I really do not rate Ogbonna in defence and he was responsible for that 2nd goal . He didn't seem to have the energy to even lump it more than 15 yds and, even worse,passed it direct to their player. To be honest , they scored from 2 difficult angles but missed about 6 easy ones. Our defence was disorganised and not regimented in holding a line to catch them offside. There was always one person playing them on and I think that is mental fatigue more than anything else. They were passing through our midfield and defence like knife through butter and its the best I've seen Burnley play this season.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've only seen MOTD so can't give an honest appraisal of the game (although we looked s***), but Xmas always throws up erratic results. Spurs lost at home to Wolves, Everton lost at home to Cardiff. We've had a good run of results and one poor performance, lets not get carried away by it. Really want to beat Brighton on Wednesday now, we definitely owe them a defeat!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Voices In My Head would like to apologise for that catastrophic mistake of a prediction .

Sorry .
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Where's Samba.................

More shittox out on the pitch from WH than at a sewage plant. You can't just attribute that performance on being tired, that's giving a few players an easy get out of jail card. Some simply were not up for it, rolled over and had their bellies tickled at the first sign of adversity. Burnley deserved their win, they had done their homework and rendered key players in our team completely ineffective.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

The congested fixtures are just highlighting the squad deficiencies. Yes we have a lot of injuries but it’s this time of the season where it usually gets worse. To have no spare defenders is appalling, injuries or not, and we are back to the 4 year old problem of needing a proper RB & DM. With Zab leaving and Noble ott it is getting even worse. Sanchez, Fredericks & Wilshere are just sticking plasters. We have a good team but a weak squad with 4 or 5 nowhere near good enough and 3 or 4 past their sell by date. But it will take time, just hope we can weed a few out soon.

I never thought I’d say it but I’d given my right arm to have Byram play today (the forgotten man!) so Antonio could bully upfront!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I suppose anyone not wanting any signings will see what depth will bring. We did look tired and they played us perfectly.

We’ve been done by physicality in that. Time and again, if you see a Diop mistake, it’s something with weak defending from aerial balls. That’s fine, it’s a slight weakness. It’s conmpounded by having to look after Antonio and then the way Burnley did us with their use of long balls and/or pressing. We were dropping deep, sealing with it long, having to defend against two lumps, or we were trying to play the high line, where they pressed us hard up top and then were happy to drop it in behind and work channels.

Diop is in his first season in England, he’s been non-stop for a while now and he’s hit that kind of play in the back end of December. It’s knackering. He needs a rest, ideally. I’d suggest Rice plays centre back in the cup.

We got absolutely worked. Their chances in the reverse came from that rudimentary and physical style (I mean that with no disrespect but can’t think of a better word) which bothered the backline.

Perez was also awful and is offering nothing. With Snodgrass needing a rest, Brighton should be a time for Noble, Rice and Obiang shoring things up in there as we’ve lost the midfield battle with them it seems like every time we’ve faced them since their promotion.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Kialos wrote:Where's Samba.................
:oops:
See my post on page 34...
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:The Voices In My Head would like to apologise for that catastrophic mistake of a prediction . Sorry .
You need new entrails, TOMoS.
Or different voices...
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

no commitment and wrong attitude. so we got done again. Watford and burnley have beaten us recently. not good enough. its clear we need a few new players but will gsb get them.

noble was poor yet again why drop obiang ?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

12 points from August to November, 15 points in December. It's fair to say, December has been a good month for us. Yesterday's result was so West Ham, you could see it coming. Hopefully Pellegrini can lift them and we can start the New Year with a home win.
We could have been sitting 7th with a win yesterday, but hey ho. We are looking like a team that will finish comfortably in the top half of the league and that is forward momentum compared to last few seasons.

If a half term report was being given, I would say that after a slow start there has been considerable improvement across the team. Keep up the effort and I can see a finishing position anywhere from 7th to 10th. To finish lower than 10th from where we are now would be disappointing. A good cup run wouldn't go amiss.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

hammerman11 wrote:no commitment and wrong attitude. so we got done again. Watford and burnley have beaten us recently. not good enough. its clear we need a few new players but will gsb get them.

noble was poor yet again why drop obiang ?
We've had a great run of form, we're not entitled to beat every team even if they were winnable games.

Agree with us needing a couple of new faces though.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we have had an easy set of fixtures where we should be getting something from all games.

after brighton we have arsenal which will be a real test of where we are as a team.

The same old problems exist for us RB CB and CM

Balbuena has been a huge miss and there appears no return date due. That leaves us with a very dodgy ogbonna and no cover !

Antonio is not a RB

Noble is no longer good enough to start and obiang is inconsistent. we have no other options. we need a dacoure type in the middle.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

hammerman11 wrote:we have had an easy set of fixtures where we should be getting something from all games.
Tbh that’s just being arrogant in the extreme.

We’ve won 5 of our last 7, I can’t remember the last time we went 7 games undefeated in the premier league. You seem to expect us not to lose to any team from 6th downwards, if we managed that we’d be knocking on the door of the top 4.

I think a touch of realism is required.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

smuts wrote:Pinky was spot on. A Burnley player hit the deck squealing last time Carroll played against them every challenge.

Dyche gives it the big northern hard man banging on against poncey divers....yet it's obvious he tells them to roll around crying as soon as Carroll breathes near them.

I fully agree, apart from the "Northern" bit.
Northampton?
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Absolute shocker of a game. The bubble burst big time yesterday.

We allowed ourselves to be totally bullied out of that game and possibly showed the rest of the league how to deal with us. We certainly don't like it up us.

I was disappointed from the off to find no Obiang, and Arnie straight back into the starting eleven. He certainly went on to prove the manager wrong big time. I have to say, for a professional sportsman, Arnies body language is shocking. A word or two is needed there.

Arnie and Perez gave the team nothing to play forward to - not that anyone had the ball in any event.

Possibly only Antonio and Rice were the only ones who can take some credit from the game.

We can't win them all - as this performance definitely showed.

Need to bounce back quickly again.
:crest:
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

We made Phil Bardsley look world class.

I don’t expect to type that again
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

That was a depressingly disappointing performance and result and I don't expect to see any repitition of that ever again. That is all I have to say about it and that is all that needs to be said