West Ham Utd 2-2 Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Post by Georgee Paris »

Patience has pretty much run out with Perez now. Antonio deserves that spot over him and Carroll. Once Chico returns he can battle with Antonio.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Thought they were very well drilled and very hard to break down.

Two soft goals to give away (we also gave them one away) left us with far too much to do but it was great to see Arnautovic drag us back into it. That should give him a real lift and coupled with another ten day to rest / train he could be back to his best before long.

Carroll proved he can no longer be considered a starter for us, Perez has confirmed he is not worthy of a place in the squad.

Noble and Antonio both deserve a lot of credit for their attitude and desire when they came on. I don't think anyone in the stadium could have predicted the impact that double sub would have on the game.

Rice did the defensive side of things very well but both him and Obiang struggled in the middle as a two. We really need three in there against anyone outside of the bottom six, and even against a few of the teams in the bottom six.

Another game where gifting goals has cost us all three points, that said, draw was a fair result really.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

terrible first half one of the worst for a long time.

second half was an exciting game

what was the goal kick mess up. fab didn't seem to know what to do with it and nor did the defenders !

ogbonna was poor throughout but we have no one else to come in. when is Balbuena back ?

perez and carroll were terrible and don't deserve to start. should have started Antonio with arnie.

Anderson first half was poor with terrible cross field balls. second half he got back to running at defenders. great bit of ball juggling in the second half to get past the brighton cloggers.

brighton are a horrible snidey dirty team and I am glad we dont watch them every game.

good 2 goals by arnie who must be frustrated with carroll in the first half and the equally useless perez in the second.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Agreed - Brighton are well drilled, if not pretty and given the circumstances I think it was a fair result.

I think we are starting to suffer from the volume of fixtures over the past month, along with our injury list. Snodders, Diop and Anderson look like they need a rest, amongst others.

A couple of good tactics by Pellers, mainly bringing Nobes and Iron Mike on - Nobes played an important part in both goals and Iron Mike pestered them constantly down the wing and set up Arnies second.

The second tactical master stroke? Playing Carroll - can’t help thinking that Pellers put him in the shop window for a sale this month.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Noble played a blinder when he came on, him and Antonio made the difference.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Awful first half from both sides, but we just can't handle being closed down, as we saw v burnley which Brighton obviously watched. We hurry passes, the front line don't make space for themselves with any movement and when they do, the rest of the team, including fabiansky, slow it down so they are soon surrounded. It's all very well slating Carroll but he had 3 players around him most of the half he was on,
which wasn't helped by arnies refusal to move about.
More attacking intent and 4 goals let in, in the second half and we started closing them down.
We should have just nicked it but didn't.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 494 likes

Post by Denzil »

Coops wrote:Noble played a blinder when he came on, him and Antonio made the difference.
Pretty much came on to this thread to say this. Antonio in particular has obviously really put the work in at the training ground and gym and deserves an (attacking) starting place on merit.

Perez woeful, Carroll non existent. Diop had a second dodgy game on the bounce with their opener coming from his sliced clearance gifting a corner, although to offer him some credit the ball did come at him at speed.

The squad is down to bare bones and some of them clearly need a rest.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I saw the ghost of a future West Ham team appear in front of my eyes in that second half....we need to be focusing our next few windows on getting a right back ready for first team football and a centre midfielder understudy to take the pressure off Noble - who is still the only player we have had possibly in the last 15 years that can put his foot on the ball, read the game and go long, short, forwards, back, sideways at the most dangerous angle for progressing our attacks.

No one comes close to him.

At 28, perhaps Antonio is slowly moving towards his best football....
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

To come back from 0-2 down to Brighton was good to see considering the type of results we've had against this lot .

Brighton are a horrible niggly side who aren't there to play football and we struggled to break them down in the first half - I thought we missed Noble desperately , not for what he gives us defensively but for his vision from the back and I think he should have started the first half , we were noticeably different after his introduction on 63 minutes and it was no coincidence that we scored our two goals after he came on .

It was disappointing to lose two goals from corners , there was nothing Fabianski could have done with the first but he possibly could have done better with the second - hey-ho , that was us 0-2 down within 2 minutes . That would normally take the stuffing out of most teams but Pellegrini didn't panic and brought on Noble and Antonio for Obiang and Snodgrass .

Brighton were doing what they do best putting 10 men behind the ball but Mark Noble looks up and sees the pass to Marko Arnautovic who coolly holds off Duffy and slots through the goalkeeper's legs - Goal No 2 came from another Mark Noble pass , this time to Antonio who skipped past Barnardo and squared the ball back for Arnautovic to toe-poke home - 2-2 and a very satisfactory comeback from West Ham .

Pellegrini will have learnt two lessons from yesterday's game - tighten up the defence and always start The Captain .
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: It was disappointing to lose two goals from corners , there was nothing Fabianski could have done with the first but he possibly could have done better with the second .
Fabianksi has been superb all season but he is a target for the opposition at set pieces and we have conceded quite a few based on him not having the extra couple inches in height to command his area like other goalkeepers can - other goalkeepers that are inferior at other parts of the game but that would not allow goals like we have to be conceded. It's a big weakness at the moment and why I can see he's been referred to as 'Flappy' before.

We have to find a way of better protecting him in these moments - otherwise we are gaining with one hand and losing with the other.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

We need to move the ball quicker.

Lots of possession yesterday but it is just so pedestrian, there's no urgency. Our plan seems to be to knock the ball about at leisure and hope one of our better players is able to unlock the defence.

Move the ball faster, drag the defenders out of position and we will create more chances
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

TOMOS - spot on about it being a decent result considering the oppo and our track record against them

Left Stratford last night feeling relieved more than annoyed
Hammer_Time1
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

The one time I actually bet on Glenn Murray scoring, he doesn't :lol:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

pablo jaye wrote:A couple of good tactics by Pellers, mainly bringing Nobes and Iron Mike on

The second tactical master stroke? Playing Carroll
Have I got this right: Pellergrini's two tactical masterstrokes were playing Carrol then taking him off?

Personally, I think it's a terrible selection policy to start a player just because you want to attract buyers (nobody is going to offer much for Carroll anyway with his injury record, big wages and contract expiring in a few months). Would we really risk the points?
If the player does well enough to attract another team then perhaps he's good enough to stay.
Whereas if you put him on and he plays badly, you lose the game and no-one's intersted in him either. Thrown the game to no avail.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hammer_Time1 wrote:The one time I actually bet on Glenn Murray scoring, he doesn't :lol:

You know you're going to have to do this every time we play against him from now on, right? Image
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Centre Half wrote:We need to move the ball quicker.

Lots of possession yesterday but it is just so pedestrian, there's no urgency. Our plan seems to be to knock the ball about at leisure and hope one of our better players is able to unlock the defence.

Move the ball faster, drag the defenders out of position and we will create more chances
Exactly, yesterday required more quick 1 touch passing around their area to break them down. Unfortunately one, two's between Anderson and cresswell on the overlap all game won't cut it. Nasri, lanzini or even wilshere in the no10 position would help so clearky injuries are hurting us.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Pellegrini will have learnt two lessons from yesterday's game - tighten up the defence and always start The Captain .
Wise words Old Man. He has his haters, but we miss him when he's not on the pitch. Him (Noble) and Antonio were game changers last night.
Irrespective of the opposition, from 0-2 to salvaging a draw is not to be sniffed at but I do feel it's more like 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained.

We continue to score goals but are also conceding too readily.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Was wondering 0-2 down why am I here! but credit the Manager he made changes and it worked! looking down on Twitter when the changes were made it was all gloom & despindency asking why make such a big tactical error!
Hammer_Time1
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

Patito wrote:

You know you're going to have to do this every time we play against him from now on, right? Image
I will do, don't worry! I will win back my money eventually :D
debaser_74
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by debaser_74 »

pablo jaye wrote: The second tactical master stroke? Playing Carroll
A month or so ago I thought Antonio was only getting on the pitch to shop him out, after a year of dodgy fitness and blowing out of his arse after 60 (30??) minutes I thought his time was up.. He has come back into the fold and made me realise I was wrong to write him off.

Carroll however I don't think was in the shop window - I think he was there to help the defence out at set-pieces and its no surprise we conceded two after he came off. It's a shame he offered so little going forward as it was the ideal time to show he still had it to offer. Same age as Arnie, hard to believe isn't it!