Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Approaching his twilight years and as others have intimated, some game management is needed but still has the class to make a difference. We will miss him when he's gone.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Three young lads sat behind us last night and trotted out all the negative cliches re our players, and were apoplectic in despair when Noble came on "Why a CM, why Noble? He's to slow, only passes sideways" etc etc, they were also less than keen on Antonio preferring the laser guided passing (sarcasm alert) of Diangana, they were incessant, and fed off each other, their high pitched whining getting quicker and more intense as they battled for the West Ham knocking cliche of the night.

Then Noble puts in Arnie, 1-2, and sets Antonio free to set up Arnie again, 2-2, and we are back in the game with Noble pulling the strings having forced Brighton back with his accurate forward passing and driving runs.
An old guy near me leaned back towards them and quietly said "that's why" in answer to the barrage of negativity about the subs and in particular about Noble.

Football has always been about opinions, but reading some on here "squad player", "legs gone", "gets a pass from many because he;s from CT and loves the club", and listening to the utter bilge these spotty, clueless, kids parroted as if they were reading some knocking posters opinions from here out loud made last nights game saving intervention so much sweeter.

I hope it isn't so but I fear we are breeding a legion reactionary idiot supporters.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Estuary wrote:
I hope it isn't so but I fear we are breeding a legion reactionary idiot supporters.
It's not unique to the young ones. Generally it's unique to those with a more limited understanding of the game.

Controversial but true.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

smuts wrote:Turned the game when he came on. Obiang sadly had a stinker before hand.
Obiang wasn't great, but he did make the pass to Arnie in the first half that led to the penalty shout. Noble was being more ambitious - and better - in his passing and it helped that he was fresh and Brighton were tiring. Shows he can still have a role to play even after his days as a first team regular are up.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Approaching his twilight years and as others have intimated, some game management is needed but still has the class to make a difference. We will miss him when he's gone.
We played 3 games inside a week and with 10 players out injured recently I thought we did well to get 4 points considering 2 of those games were Away to Southampton then Burnley , when you see the amount of running Mark Noble gets through in a match perhaps you're right that at his age a bit of game management wouldn't go amiss - However , I do still think he needs to be involved in every game at some point or other as without him we lack creativity from deep .

Obiang's best game this season was Away at Everton where Rice , Noble and Pedro all featured - Obiang has the energy but Noble has the better passing range -

I'd definitely start Mark Noble in all our Home games , his game is made for the London Stadium pitch and depending on the opposition I'd start Obiang during the Away matches with Mark replacing as and when required . Had Sanchez and Wilshere remained fit we would have had more options .
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Excellent cameo from the captain last night, helped drag a very tired looking team to an unlikely point in his 30 minutes. Antonio deserves praise as well for his contribution after coming on at the same time :thup:
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Approaching his twilight years and as others have intimated, some game management is needed but still has the class to make a difference. We will miss him when he's gone.
This, and the fact he tends to struggle a bit more against team that plays expansive football which is also down to our system that doesn't help him.

Definitely has a part to play which is probably as much off the pitch as on.

Unfortunately his legs can't carry him around as they used to which explains some of his tackles (although he has always been a bit prone to a lunge!!) but if used right he will be mostly ok.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It's not just the occasional youth that pipes up with lazy clichés about Noble, I've heard it all from geezers well over 30 an all and it makes it worse for me because you'd think they'd know better by now, but unbelievably no. And it dates back to when he used to play regularly at the Boleyn too.

It boils down to a lack of football intelligence or appreciation of what he offers, regardless of someone's age.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Row X wrote: Funny how we struggle when he doesn't play, yet people still say he's not good enough.

How many managers keep picking him? Pardew, Curbs, Zola, Grant, Big Sam, Bilic, Moyes, Pel Boy... he must do something right.
Nail. Head.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Outstanding last night, well done captain
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

I would like to see him play with the same desire to find decisive passes from the first minute - not just when he comes on at 2-0 down.

Sometimes he does, sometimes he plays too safe for my liking.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He builds attacks all the time. A lot of his initial passed go unnoticed/unappreciated because it doesn't end up being the actual Assist, but invariably it's him that starts the moves off. It's him that often instigates passages of play. Unfortunately important play like that isn't as easy to quantify as an assist leading to a goal being the pass just before. And it shows when he doesn't play because we look so rudderless trying to build moves.
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

This thing with Noble has got beyond a joke now.
Its like its taken over from the Board, or the Stadium. Your either pro or against, and as always its always the views of the extremes that get heard.
And as ever the truth is in the middle.
Noble is a very good player. No one and I mean no one plays at that level for 10 years without being so.
Does this mean he cant be criticized ? no, does it mean he is the reason for every defeat ? no

Last night was a prime example, there was literally no difference between Nobles pass for Arnies first goal and Obiang's in the first half for the penalty appeal turned down. Another day a different set of outcomes.

Noble had a 20 minute cameo last night at the most stretched point of the game, how would people of felt this morning if he had started and tried to pick passes to the statues up front in the first half.

My opinion is that he still has a huge role to play for the club, but at the same time i do feel he really struggles in a 4-4-2. For me he has to have that additional insurance of an extra midfielder.
At the same time there are better midfielders out there and if we want to progress at some point we need to move on from Mark, and his role will slowly diminish. That's football
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I think somewhat Noble encapsulates our season

we do well for a spanking 20 minute period and win the game

or we stink the place out and lose the game in the same 20 minute period

that's in general but in some of the games we were not the best, score 3 and game over..

we have still papered over some cracks in our wins.

imvho
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

hammerddh wrote:if we want to progress at some point we need to move on from Mark, and his role will slowly diminish. That's football
I think even Mark's biggest supporters on here will accept that (at some point - well yes, obviously). We have been hearing it for about 10 years now though.

When we sign someone good enough I'll be encouraging it to happen. No one has really come a fraction close yet though and the hefty criticism of him never follows with an adequate solution from within the playing squad.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Estuary wrote:I hope it isn't so but I fear we are breeding a legion reactionary idiot supporters.
Too late. In fact there is only fag paper between some of our fans and those currently squatting up in Wembley.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I have given noble a lot of stick over the years

Hats off to him last night

I like how he isn’t an auto starter now.. I like how obiang and him are rotated well

Noble came on and he changed the game

Still needs rice next to him with his legs to mop up any mess

But perfect
flysohigh
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

Very good when he came on last night but very poor against Burnley. I think the truth is somewhere between the two. There is just no balance on the Noble debate he's either superb or dreadful.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

14 years 4 months 1 week since his debut !!!

12th in number of WHU appearances

2nd time his come on as sub this season and we've won both games, SuperSub !!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Pop Robson wrote:14 years 4 months 1 week since his debut !!!

12th in number of WHU appearances

2nd time his come on as sub this season and we've won both games, SuperSub !!
We drew last night :D