Tennis

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Re: Tennis

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Gutted to watch that conference. He wants to at least go out at Wimbledon but his body may not let him do that.

Top guy, deserves better.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Gutted to watch that conference. He wants to at least go out at Wimbledon but his body may not let him do that.

Top guy, deserves better.
Indeed.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

Very sad news... and a horrible watch (the press conference ). Top man.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I've always been a fan of Murray and it's been clear that his body has let him down over the past couple of years.

In an era of greats, I think he can be rightly proud of what he achieved. :thup:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I've loved the journey watching Andy Murray through his whole career.

The downs and the ups. Watching him trying to succeed in the brutalist era ever.

People have different views on things. Who is the greatest British sportsman ever. And are largely dictated by the sports they personally follow.

If anyone ever asks me, I will say Andy Murray.

A true warrior, a true trier, a ridiculous trainer and compulsively dedicated.

I heard Matt Pincent......10 times World Champion and 4 time Olympic Gold medalist ( and from the hardest of sports, rowing)......say that Andy Murray was the greatest British sportsmen ever.

I would agree...........And even if people don't. It's hard not to be left impressed by his dedication and drive to be the very best he could be.

I will miss him...............and by the way, one of the most gifted players to ever pick up a racket. He had all the shots, great invention, great touch.....and great court craft.. But his smash was one of the worst I have seen by a player who is so good. ... :)

He gave me many late nights. But happy memories of someone trying to eclipse the absolute giants of all time. Lendl finally gave him the belief...........and he deserves credit too.

3 Grand Slams (2 Wimbledons & US OPEN)
2 Olympic Singles Gold Medals.
45 Singles titles including 14 ATP 1000 events (the top events outside Grand Slams)
1 Davis Cup victory (the first since Jesus was a boy)
2 Sports Personality of the Year awards.
And World Number 1.

In total he took part in 72 career finals.

And I think he ranks around 11th (all time) of Major Final appearances.

See Yer Andy... :cry:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Right up there with Hoy, Redgrave and Wiggins as Britain's best ever sportsman.

His all action style of play probably contributed to his premature retirement but I hope he looks back in years to come and thinks he gave his all and it was worth the pain.

Thanks Andy.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

.....and yet there are still bellends coating him off because he once made a joke about England.

Just heard some stuff on radio about the work he does supporting kids in sport. The bloke's a true inspiration, legit.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

No shortage of talent, but his best attribute was his determination to outwork his opponents. I like that in an athlete.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

DasNutNock wrote:No shortage of talent, but his best attribute was his determination to outwork his opponents. I like that in an athlete.
Indeed....

Outwork & workout.

He always said that style came about by playing kids who were way older and way bigger than him.

:thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

He was a top athlete, unfortunate for him that injuries took their toll, but that's the risk when you're constantly working your body to the limit.

2 Olympic golds and a Davis cup win are not to be scoffed at, not to mention the 2 Wimbledon titles.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Well said DC

Good luck to him in Aussie open but in whatever he goes on to do and achieve

My favourite was that late night US open and at the end in the studio he could hardly walk and had lost toenails in the 3rd set yet carried on , these top tennis players are probably some of the fittest hardest working lads out there in sport

And Andy has epitomised that in bundles
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

For all the love for those in sport who make it look effortless, (Federer the obvious example in tennis), there is something so admirable about those who prevail through perseverance, practice and hard work. And Murray not only epitomises these qualities, he seems a decent guy as well (as an advocate for mental health amongst others). A true great.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

sicknote wrote: My favourite was that late night US open and at the end in the studio he could hardly walk and had lost toenails in the 3rd set yet carried on
Ha ha yeah...

Think it was around 3am when I went to bed.

I remember the excited posting on the forum when he was 2 sets up, then the despair as Novak started the come back.

I will never forget that night. It was like everyone who had invested in Murray (as fans) had finally got their reward ...... and don't forget the arguments we had on here with people who said he would never, ever win a Major.

Be nice if we can find another one as good..........I doubt I will live to see it though.

Well said Souly.... :thup: :thup:
Hammer_Time1
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

It will be a very sad day for British Tennis when he does actually confirm his retirement, hopefully it's on his own terms but doesn't look like it will be. He has achieved so much in an era of 3 absolute legends of the game in Federer, Nadal and Djokovic (all 3 of which you could make a case for being the greatest ever in the open era)- and he is rightly included in the same breath as these. He's been so unlucky to not win the Australian open having got to 5 finals but I count myself lucky to have grown up watching a British Tennis player compete with the greats. Watching Murray lift the Wimbledon title and be the first British player to win Wimbledon since 1936 was amazing. There's nobody anywhere near good enough to replace him as British number 1 and make the same impact at the Grand Slams in the near future, which is a shame.

Tennis will always be my second favourite sport after Football but it will be weird to watch it without him. I think he has just been misunderstood by most of the British media and public as lacking personality, which is a load of :thdn:
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Best British tennis player ever, by a long chalk. His achievements, given his opposition, are nothing short of miraculous and stand testament to the effort and dedication he put into his sport. I sincerely hope he makes it to Wimbledon...fingers crossed for you Andy!
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Played his b@llocks off to be world No.1 at end of 2017 and was never the same again. Hopefully he'll last until Wimbledon and get the send-off he deserves,
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

davids cross wrote: Ha ha yeah...

Think it was around 3am when I went to bed.

I remember the excited posting on the forum when he was 2 sets up, then the despair as Novak started the come back.

I will never forget that night. It was like everyone who had invested in Murray (as fans) had finally got their reward ...... and don't forget the arguments we had on here with people who said he would never, ever win a Major.

Be nice if we can find another one as good..........I doubt I will live to see it though.

Well said Souly.... :thup: :thup:
Yep....that was a cracking night. One of those sporting occasions I will always remember.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

I'd much rather he missed the Australian & made it to Wimbledon one last time, that hip sounds like it's SO painful.
They earn megabucks but some of these sports people really pay for it, with their bodies.
Boris Becker can hardly walk now, let alone run.
Andy Murray - one of our greatest ever legends, imo.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

davids cross wrote: 1 Davis Cup victory (the first since Jesus was a boy)
Made me chuckle that did dc.

The amount of media coverage this story has had since the early hours of Friday morning is testament to Andy's contribution to British sport and what a loss to tennis and British sport it will be when he retires.
24 hours after I first posted having read the news on internet on a break whilst working the night shift, it is still hard to believe that this wonderful story is coming to an end. No more coming back from the brink a la Gasquet at Wimbledon in 2008. Andy was so mentally tough when it came down to a deciding fifth set. I'll miss the agony and the ecstacy he put the fans through. I'll miss him absolutely roasting an opponent and then from nowhere dropping a set to then getting back to business and finishing the match off.
Twice Murray led me to tears, once in defeat against Federer at Wimbledon and then in victory against Djokovic at Wimbledon when he became the first British male winner in 77 years. I have followed Murray's career since he first became a name to keep an eye on as a Junior champion. I used to defend him on this forum when he was getting coated regularly. In fact the only time I've had any sort of verbal spat on here was over Murray. One particular poster who i haven't seen on here for ages was such a troll he literally couldn't wait to jump on the forum as soon as Andy lost a match and go on and on about him being a Scottish loser.
Anyway, some nice posts on here since the news and so many of Andy's fellow professionals have spoken of their sympathy and admiration for him, he truly has had a brilliant career at a time when 3 of the greatest ever players have been hoovering up the Grand Slams. The fact that Andy muscled his way on to that top table and grabbed 3 of his own Slams shows just how good he was.
Greatest British sportsman? Probably, certainly without any doubt in my lifetime.
Like others have said I really hope he can manage the pain to at least to go out on his terms at Wimbledon in the summer. Wimbledon without Murray will be strange.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Great post Chick...

Spot on.