what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1971 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Think I might give this one a go....

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1736723 ... atter-inn/
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

RichieRiv wrote:What's the matter with the Enterprise?

I quite liked working around Holborn as at least the boozers were a bit more authentic than elsewhere in the West End. Maybe I just like **** pubs.
I dunno, just a bit of a nondescript pub. Unfriendly bar stuff. The beer is average. It's a bit of a tired place.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Compared to the non-descript places down Kingsway or the Square Pig which reminds me of an estate boozer, The Enterprise is a haven of tranquillity, although I do prefer the dolphin across the way.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Yeah I quite like the dolphin.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 335 likes
Total likes: 708 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Think I might give this one a go....

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1736723 ... atter-inn/
That really sounds like my kind of pub.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

The Guildford Arms, West Register St. Edinburgh.

I can’t recall anytime that I have entered a pub through a revolving door before.

Spectacular high ceiling and great decoration throughout this very nice pub. I had a pint of Jarl from the Fyne Ales brewery and a glass of Glengoyne malt whisky to chase it down.

5/5 for beer and 5/5 for atmosphere. Although I understand that it can be a bit of a tourist trap and rammed on occasions.
Last edited by The Collector on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2704 likes

Post by sendô »

A ****ing Slug & Lettuce, where it's £5.85 for a pint of crap over hopped IPA.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Anyone drank in Peterborough? There this weekend and heard the Charters on the river is a "go to" spot.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Anyone drank in Peterborough? There this weekend and heard the Charters on the river is a "go to" spot.
I went to a lovely boozer there last year. In a little village type place. Food was decent too. Will try and find out what it was called.

EDIT

The Cuckoo in Alwalton :thup:
Last edited by Cockneyboy311 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vdogg

Post by Vdogg »

Can anyone recommend a good pub to watch the Six Nations on Saturday in central/East London?
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Interested to see that the pub called Glory seems to have replaced The Russian Bar which was a tremendous late late night Dalston destination when i was hanging about in those parts about 12 years ago!
Oh mate, haven't thought about that place in years! One of the few places to get a late drink round there, which seems weird now.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

The Vic Romford, popped in for a couple with me brother, nice pint of Guinness he was on Coors £5.30 which is great value and served by a pretty barmaid can’t knock this place 9/10
bunk
Total likes: 348 likes

Post by bunk »

Two Chairmen, St. James - Popped in for a swift pint of Guinness yesterday evening, having wanted to visit for quite some time. I hadn't even realised it was a Greene King until i walked past this morning and whilst i normally think they're one of the worst pub chains going, thankfully this one stepped up. It's a lot smaller than i expected but a nice atmosphere, Guinness was under a fiver which, for the area is quite unexpected. Had 16 beers on on tap... ales, IPAs, lagers and Guinness so could cater for everyone. Not world class but a solid place. 7/10.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Anyone drank in Peterborough? There this weekend and heard the Charters on the river is a "go to" spot.
There must be hundreds of us here that have drank in Charters! We took over 5,000 to the away match in the Championship in March 2012 and seems that most were on the boat or in the beer garden. Can't tell you what the beer was like as there was only one type left before they ran out completely an hour before the match.
"we play on the floor"
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Sheltered from the snow and ice in The Vauxhall Griffin, down a nondescript side street off Wandsworth Road this was an unexpected gem.

Some nice beers on tap for under a fiver, large TV's all over the walls playing the cricket, certainly looked good for football viewing, pool tables in an upstairs lounge, decor seemed caught between traditional pub and 'bistro' with flowers up the walls and grass on the ceiling but it seemed to work. Nice atmosphere and quick, friendly staff.

The Doombar which can sometimes be a 50/50 call in some pubs was excellent, and a nice way to kill 'dry' January.

8/10.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Bevy, Mouslecoomb, Brighton The perfect pub. A pub run by local residents for everyone. Big, airy, spacey, decent music, great bar staff and a lovely community atmosphere. Add to this a decent range of beers - I had a pint of "Foghorn" and it was delicious - just a touch of hops, with a crisp tangy after-taste. And the food. My mate went for the sausage casserole ("Amazing" according to my mate) and I had the stuffed red pepper with sweet potato chips and salad, which was perfectly cooked and spiced up nicely.

The people were friendly and they all help the community - be it gardening, the allotments, repairs, development, football teams, mental health walk -in centre, bingo and Sunday lunches plus much much more.

What's more - and some of you that go away matches may wish to note - they welcome away supporters with open arms and give free minivan trips to the match (and back if you want to go back in there) and too and from Brighton Station, if you arrange it with them.

Best pub I've been n for a long long time.

A very solid 10/10.

Witherspoons Victoria Station

One of the best spoons I've been in. Lovely comfortable but busy vibe, very nice staff, usual selection of Spoon's beers, warm throughout and comfortable. My Amstel was decent and about 3:80 a pint. Really good for a station base pub, which I usually find soulless. 8/10
WHU Independent

Not really a pub - but it serves beer. Fair Haven Hospice, Chalkwell, Essex.

My best mate is dying of cirrhosis of the liver and only has a few days left to live, so he's been placed in this Hospice. Here he is allowed to drink, they provide free booze for the patients and encourage friends and relatives to bring their own booze and celebrate with their mates. He's too far gone to save himself so he is going to go out drinking. I took his daughter and a few mates to see him and we stayed for 6 or so hours drinking with him. The nurses were exceptional, the standard of care exemplary and they had a good laugh with us. We told all the old stories and some ones that we haven't told because of the circumstances.

In the end we had one final drink a group hug and we left. I made a donation to this partly NHS/partly charity funded Hospice immediately I got up today.

If I ever have to go to a hospice for whatever reason, I'd like to go here. 10/10

The Island Queen, Noel Road Islington.

This is all that is wrong with hipster pubs. Lazy staff, who didn't have a scoobie and actually hid at the end of the bar, crouched down trying to be out of sight, rubbish prices (£5+ a pint most beers), dirty, untidy, didn't understand the concept of cash payments too well (kept on handing me a cash machine while I had notes in my hand) and really appalling bogs that were awash with piss, toilet papers stuffed down the side of the bog and the wall like a white blanket and smelly.

I went there to celebrate a mates birthday. I won't be back. The place gets one point for the wine, which was Merlot, at a decent price and good.

1/10
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

WHU Independent wrote:Not really a pub - but it serves beer. Fair Haven Hospice, Chalkwell, Essex.
That's an amazing story.
WHU Independent

prophet:marginal wrote:That's an amazing story.
It's an amazing place P:M! I also forgot to mention that it is officially "Closed on a Sunday, but the staff had no qualms about letting us all in - with a shed load of beer. They came round and gave him is pain medication, came in with a huge plate of fresh cream cakes (that had been donated by a local bakery that hour) for all of us to eat, and really, really cared for him. Apparently when we went he got up to get a glass of water about 1 AM in the morning and the nurse went "Hi there. Do you want a beer - there's some Becks in the fridge. Oh and we were donated some wine too?" He walked back with Becks in one pocket and a small bottle of red in the other.

In addition, he's suffering from massive water retention and looks 9 months pregnant - he has no functioning liver/gall bladder or Pancreas any more - and they brought it this top notch kit that drained 28 pints of fluid out of him. He said it was much better than the kit they have at Southend Hospital (which he calls "the Butchers") and he was very pleased with how they dealt with the who draining thing.

He's going out the way he wants and I have to respect that as much as I am not overly happy about it. If he quit drinking he could have 1-3 years a while ago, not he's got a matter of days. It's his choice.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2704 likes

Post by sendô »

Fair play to him then.

How much was he drinking to get cirrhosis of the liver ffs.