Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by fmgod »

Jumby wrote:Broner has become a parody of himself, I would love someone like Chris Rock to narrate over clips of him, summarising his behaviour, he plays up to a certain stereotype so badly that it's just getting ridiculous now.
Get busy, put it on youtube you'll make a killing from ad-revenue.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Got to love Carl Froch's tribute to Carl Froch when talking about George Groves's retirement

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/1 ... lete-sense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

George Grove retires. A good time to go, I think.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Fair play for him retiring at the end, in the final of tournament. Probably deserved one more big cash out but have to respect that and he has put his health first. Hope he stays retired though.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Slacking student wrote:Got to love Carl Froch's tribute to Carl Froch when talking about George Groves's retirement

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/1 ... lete-sense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just shows what a classless prick Froch is, can't help himself, can he? Calzaghe would have took him to school.
OooohChristianDailly

Post by OooohChristianDailly »

Quite surprised Groves didn't wait for Degale to beat Eubank and then have that as one last fight.

I would have thought that the two Truax performances from James would have given him that confidence. the first one was disgusting and the second one very sub-par. Would be a nice pay day, good fight and interesting build up given the history. That said you have to wonder how much the shoulder injury took out of George. He has had so many tough fights for someone who is 30 and been pro for 10 years already.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Listened to the BBC podcast on the subject with Costello and Bunce. They seemed to think the Eduard Gutknecht took a lot out of him mentally and since he's not been the same fighter.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxing/ ... t-disgrace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

The hatred Froch has for Groves is incredible even years later considering he beat him twice. Groves really unhinged Froch somehow that he is still in his head now, pretty mad really. Need a gloves are off counselling session for the pair of them.

Froch pipped up about Groves, so Andre Ward tweeted him

This dude is the biggest hater . Your over 40 bro, let it go. The arrogance is off the charts.

For all the fake hate and beef, Groves and Froch, well mainly Froch detest each other
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I’m waiting for the night Froch snaps on commentary and goes on a rant about how great he was, he never really lost to Ward or Kessler and then racially abuses Amir Khan

So bitter for a man with so many achievements in the sport. He needs to lay off Ward. Ward would have beaten him any day of the week and twice on Sundays, leagues apart as their fight proved.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Brilliant from Kovalev, he's back.

Ted Cheeseman came up short against the better boxer, he's still only 23 so there's time for him to bounce back and improve, I don't think he should be taking a fight with Anthony Fowler just yet though, a period of rebuilding is needed.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Jumby wrote:Brilliant from Kovalev, he's back.

He looked very good, unfortunately.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Yeah he's not a particularly likeable man, but, if I can just focus on what he does in the ring, he's a very good boxer. I still wonder where he'd be had he not had that unlucky and arguably controversial first defeat to Ward.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Jumby wrote:Yeah he's not a particularly likeable man, but, if I can just focus on what he does in the ring, he's a very good boxer.
Absolutely, he looked a lot sharper this weekend too, made Alvarez look unusually sluggish at times.
Jumby wrote: I still wonder where he'd be had he not had that unlucky and arguably controversial first defeat to Ward.
Still punching women when they don't put out I'd have thought...
hudds town hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by hudds town hammer »

i like andre ward

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I have a feeling that Dave Allen is going to get battered by Lucas Browne. He's incredibly lucky to be getting this opportunity as he hasn't really done anything in his career to deserve it. I like him but the "I'll fight anyone" rubbish is wearing a bit thin now, each time he has stepped up he's just been a punchbag.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

WBC order Whyte vs Brezeale for Interim Title
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Rodriguez v Inoue announced on the same card as Taylor v Baranchyk (providing he doesn't pull out) up at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, on 18th May.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

You would have to be off your face to pay £20 to watch Joshua knock out Miller at 4am
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

I can’t see Miller causing too many problems for AJ. Yes he’s big (fat), has a surprisingly good engine and decent chain but he’s also slow, labourous, with little defence or movement, limited power (especially for someone so big) and shockingly bad technically.

I’ve seen a few of his fights and he just walks forward wearing his opponent down using his substantial weight advantage, but he’s never fort a puncher like AJ. I don’t care how good your chin is, no one can let AJ tee off on them and not expect to get KO’d.

The build up will be interest, whilst the fight probably won’t live up to much and isn’t worth paying for, but it could be interesting to see how AJ deals with someone who outweighs him by 3-4 stone.

I wonder if he’ll come in heavier, maybe around 18.5 stone.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Joshua will win easy, can see it being over inside 3, it will sell Miller can talk, people will buy into the UK vs USA nonsense.