the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1669 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Re: the dinner thread

Post by WHU Independent »

Tonight: Six small baked potatoes, two baked onions, a head of roast garlic, home made 'slaw, room temperature baked beans, a mixed salad plus some non dairy cheese and meat.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

after yesterdays troughing , italian chicken salad, and a couple of warm buttered rolls
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Pork quesedillas last night. Made a nice change.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by Denzil »

Made a pretty spicy chilli con carne, thick consistency and a very dark beefy brown. Finished it off with a square of 85% dark chocolate.

Chopped up some avocado, non-fat yogurt and grated cheese with a sprinkle of coriander on top. No rice as trying to shed a bit of timber so trying for the most part to have carb-less dinners.
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Monkey Mike wrote:Pork quesedillas last night. Made a nice change.
I had quesadillas the other night from the leftover roast chicken at the weekend. Love Mexican food.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

You know the bit in the middle of a garlic clove. Are you meant to discard it or is it ok to eat?

Sainsbury's Morello Cherry pie: Very nice, juicy cherries. £2.75 but very often reduced to £2.
WHU Independent

Organic mashed potatoes from my mates allotment, 3 non dairy sausages, steamed organic carrots and minty peas. It's all cooking now.
Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

WHU Independent wrote:3 non dairy sausages.
WTF? Sausages can be accused of many things, but the dairy bit? What am I missing WHI?
The wife is a vegetarian and has been for 40+ years so i'm not having a pop. She is however, lactose intolerant so a heads up would be appreciated. :thup:
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Chips, double cooked, in Beef dripping, old school style with gammon and Burford Brown eggs, bread and butter, 750ML bottle of Leffe to go with it
Mrs is having fishcake with a parsley sauce in place of the gammon
WHU Independent

WHU Independent wrote:3 non dairy sausages.

WTF? Sausages can be accused of many things, but the dairy bit? What am I missing WHI?
The wife is a vegetarian and has been for 40+ years so i'm not having a pop. She is however, lactose intolerant so a heads up would be appreciated. :thup:
Hi Polaroid - Non Dairy - is just a phrase used to replace the V word that sends some people here into a wobbler. BUT some veggie sausages have eggs/milk in them to either bind them or give them the crispy "skin" when cooked.

For example, some LM sausages marked Veggie are actually vegan, and some LM sausages are veggie because of the egg/milk and other produce used in them.

FYI Fry's do a great range of Vegan sausages as do NO Bull and SHOULD be lactose free.

The same with most Quorn - it has eggs and milk in unless marked Vegan.

I always read the labels before I buy something because a) something new may have animal produce in or b) something you've bought before may have had the recipe changed, especially if it;'s produced by a non veggie/vegan owned company, to include animal produce.

Hence the vegan joke - "How can you spot the Vegan in a supermarket? They're the ones who are spend most of their time reading the labels, and buy hardly anything."
Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

:thup: Thanks for the reply WHUI.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Fish supper from the mobile chippy that comes to our village. Very tasty it was too, as was the chip buttie I made with uncut white bread and butter. I have wholemeal bread most of the time but a chip buttie and brown bread just don't work.
jevs
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by jevs »

Cooked the Mrs Surloin steak last night. Crispy potatoes, green beans, broccoli, courgettes and creamy pepper sauce. Raspberry pavlova for pudding.

Bloody handsome and the first decent dinner i've eaten for 3 weeks after illness.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

"Fake" Prawn Provençal.

Lovely!
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by Denzil »

Tofu veggie green curry for 'er indoors as she's a veggie. Was very nice indeed actually. Finished off with a melting pot of butter, milk, double cream and a large bar of dairy milk with strawberry, banana and marshmellows to dip in! Simply simply
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Fillet steak, mushroom and chips tonight
Might throw a fried egg on for good measure
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Take away Chinese last night, egg fried rice, chicken and pineapple, chili beef and sweet and sour barbeque ribs and it was ****ing horrible.The sauce in the chicken and pineapple was too watery, the rice, not great,the chili beef, warm, but not hot and all in all, a load of rubbish
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

chilli con carne n rice
With a loaf of fresh crusty
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yesterday, oven baked lamb chops with rosemary, lemons, garlic, onions, olive oil, olives & seasoning, with sweet potato chips and salad. Chuffing nice.

Tonight, lamb shoulder pieces marinaded in oregano, rose wine, oil, garlic, lemons, pepper. Will skewer later then cook on a screaming hot griddle, and serve with home made flatbreads, red cabbage & pickled red onions.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Puff Daddy wrote:Take away Chinese last night, egg fried rice, chicken and pineapple, chili beef and sweet and sour barbeque ribs and it was ****ing horrible.The sauce in the chicken and pineapple was too watery, the rice, not great,the chili beef, warm, but not hot and all in all, a load of rubbish
Need to find yourself a better takeaway, Puff.
It's not your usual one, is it?