The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Re: Mental Health (free course starting 28th Jan 2019 - page 66)

Post by Samba »

pablo jaye wrote:I don’t know whether you are interested in reading up about stuff but I am just reading Danny Baker’s ‘Going On The Turn’, in which he recounts his own experience with cancer and going through the treatment.
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden singer) has also written about his experience of having cancer & treatment.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

-DL- wrote:Te be fair, it was more of a rant in general to be honest, not a moan up at anyone on here - the good wishes have been pretty overwhelming truth be told.

The language others have used sort of makes me feel like a patient if that makes sense?
Get on do some modding you great tart :wink:

I am not doing the NUMB, so you'd best stick around.

Don't know if this helps, but after everyone on here helped me to realise talking isn't a weakness, I went to the doc's and he recommended something that would help me to leave the house when all I felt was miserable and lazy (so pretty much every day).

So I have taken up photography and every day now, make a two mile trek to our nature reserve, gather my thoughts and take some amateur photo's. It helps me to reset.

My attitude, health and general well being has improved massively. The other issues are still there, they just don't own me any more.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Nice on Bristol and best of luck.
DL is also a keen photographer, you could have another snug competition, that would keep a few people interested.
Talking does indeed help as you have found. Some people just find it really hard.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

mushy wrote: DL is also a keen photographer, you could have another snug competition, that would keep a few people interested.
Funny you should say that, because a couple of weeks ago I was going to start another photography thread, but was worried that it would go the way of the last couple I started way back when, and they'd die a quick death.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Good, I need some advice. I am looking at buying for next Xmas a NIKON D5300 DSLR Camera with DX 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens, Remote & Batteries and need to know if its a decent beginners camera :oops:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Ha! You're asking the wrong person when it comes to kit - I've always been a Canon man, and I bought mine about 4 years ago now, EOS 650D with a couple of lenses and a case in a deal. Can't remember how much I paid though, but it's still going strong and I'm still learning.

Shop around and try and get a similar deal with a Nikon or a newer model Canon that has almost everything you'll need to start it up.

I'm going to start a new thread as it goes, see you over there. :thup: :D
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Had a bad spell the last couple of days. It's putting a big strain on my marriage at the moment too.
Samba

Post by Samba »

prince_huggy wrote:Had a bad spell the last couple of days. It's putting a big strain on my marriage at the moment too.
Sorry to hear that, ph.
It's circular, isn't it? You're feeling rough but that impacts on your relationship, which then makes you feel more rough.
Hope that you get some peace of mind soon. :thup:
prince_huggy

Post by prince_huggy »

Samba wrote:Sorry to hear that, ph.
It's circular, isn't it? You're feeling rough but that impacts on your relationship, which then makes you feel rougher.
Spot on. Mrs PH always has good intentions but tries to pinpoint it to a reason. Which gets me frustrated and in turn her.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote:Sorry to hear that, ph.
It's circular, isn't it? You're feeling rough but that impacts on your relationship, which then makes you feel rougher.
prince_huggy wrote:Spot on. Mrs PH always has good intentions but tries to pinpoint it to a reason. Which gets me frustrated and in turn her.
Gently explain to her that there doesn't always have to be a reason for someone to be feeling really awful.
It can be difficult to understand. Tell her sometimes you just have to hunker down & let the storm pass over or blow itself out.
prince_huggy

Post by prince_huggy »

Samba wrote:Gently explain to her that there doesn't always have to be a reason for someone to be feeling really awful.
It can be difficult to understand. Tell her sometimes you just have to hunker down & let the storm pass over or blow itself out.
Been there many times.

Thank you for your advice though.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Keep fighting Huggy mate :thup: :)
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

prince_huggy wrote:Had a bad spell the last couple of days. It's putting a big strain on my marriage at the moment too.
My phone won’t let me PM you mate and I’ve been trying since your message.
Pay attention to your relationship mate, that’s all I can say.
Try not to let it get away from you.
I’m trying hard to get on top of my **** and figure out how I can save my marriage when my wife is standing firm in her hurt (and fair enough but I’m not giving up).

Hope you can get on top of this my man.
Anything you need drop me a line and I’m happy to chat.
Good luck buddy.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions from everybody about travelling.

The holiday was really good in the end, travelling there was terrifying but once I got to the Eurostar I was ok as I have done it before.

Going through London is so awful for me. I don't know how some of you do it everyday. There are just too many people for me.

Anyway back at work now which is predictably merde.

DL keep strong and do what e doctors tell you! I'm loving the picture thread you started as well.

Prince Huggy and Prawn you guys be safe and take care of yourselves, I wish I could offer you better advice but I'm not at my best at the moment.

Take care everyone.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Joyeux Marteau wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions from everybody about travelling.
The holiday was really good in the end, travelling there was terrifying but once I got to the Eurostar I was ok as I have done it before. Take care everyone.
See!
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, JM. :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Good, I need some advice. I am looking at buying for next Xmas a NIKON D5300 DSLR Camera with DX 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens, Remote & Batteries and need to know if its a decent beginners camera :oops:
Hi Bris ,
I have a few Nikon cameras , for some reason I took to Nikon instead of Canon they are the Big 2 but other brands have been making a comeback in recent years - you can spend thousands on cameras an lenses but it is important to understand what you are buying when it comes to your 1st camera .

The D5300 along with the 18-55mm is a decent beginner's camera - I see on Amazon they're asking 479.00 for both together - be careful who you're buying from especially now Amazon are full of scammers .

If it's from Amazon themselves then that's ok .

Visit your local camera shop to get a feel of the camera in your hands if possible - Jessops are good for this .

I would look at the Nikon D7100 or D7200 - you wouldn't have to buy them new - Wex Photographic , MPB.Com , Camera Jungle are all reputable second hand camera dealerships .
I would also consider a Grey Import i.e. buying a new camera directly from Hong Kong - companies such as Digitalrev pay the import tax for you and will also give you a guarantee .

I have a Nikon D7000 - I paid around 979 or more for a kit which included the 18-105 mm - I now use the 16-85mm almost exclusively but I have a few other nice lenses [ 12-24mm , Tamron 90mm [ for macro shots ] , 70-300mm etc .] - now you can pick up a second hand D7000 for under 300 .

I love my D7000 - it fits in my hand so well and with the 16-85mm I can take reasonably good photos .

Nikon have recently brought out the 16-80mm , not to be confused with the cheaper 16-85mm whic I use .

Anything you wish to know , I'm only a pm away .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I'm sitting up in bed wide awake because I'm so angry I cannot sleep .

I reckon if I took my blood pressure it would be through the roof still .

What's happened is this -

I am now convinced our son is being bullied by the lecturer at the college he's enrolled at .

I sort of knew there were problems but when I picked him up yestrday he was sitting there bawling his eyes out - my first thoughts were he'd been kicked off the course , all he would say was ' Ask Gary ' - I went to look for him and found him outside smoking a cigarette along with 2 colleagues .

OK , I wasn't in control of my emotions and shouted out ' What have you done to my son ' .

He said something along the lines that he'd taken back his phone without permission - Dan swore he never handed the phone in in the first place .

Apparently , a new rule had started last Monday whereby everyone had to hand in their phones - This Gary lad saw Dan check the time on it and in Dan's words ' Screamed at me ' - it was 4pm and time for home , it's not as if he had been looking at it in class time .

I thought that was that but yesterday Dan is taken into the office and questioned by two members of staff then again before he was due to go home .
This Gary is a control freak , one minute he's your friend then he's shouting at his students .

This isn't the first incident , it's been going on from the first month - we've had to have words with the Head of Special Needs before now .

We spoke to another pupil and she told my wife that she hated him ' The whole class does ' - the thing is he's the only one who assesses them , whether they pass or fail is up to him .

Dan is doing well - he's passing every exam - there aren't that many weeks left , his course finishes in May .

I have never been so angry as I was yesterday - I wanted to take this man apart , he knew it too as all he kept saying was ' I don't like your tone ' :) but thankfully I was sitting down the whole time and in my mind thought I was pretty calm considering .

I am going to arrange to meet him once I've calmed down - Jen and I are feeling sick at the thought of what our boy has to go through under this man - he does have an assistant , a lady , but she is never going to stand up to him . She was there yesterday but never said a word .

I finished with ' If ever you have to discipline my son ever again I'm going to insist on being there ' - they agreed .

I'm not coming across very well I know - this isn't the first time you see , it had got to the point that Dan was scared of going in to college - that can't be right . I feel quite helpless .

p.s. I'm not usually an an angry or aggressive man , in fact I've been letting this go for far too long which is why it got to a head yesterday .
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

TOMOS,
I've just seen this, pm me if you need to.
Went through (am still going through) a similar situation with a character @ my kids' local Sec school.I
All three had at various times had a prob with th is bloke, he clearly had a problem.
As it happens, I'm ex Secondary ( years ago!) My sister's a retired teacher, my niece is.. blah..blah..and I've been exam reading at the place for years, so I'm not intimidated by the system.I rang and politely requested a meeting with the Academy director, saw him , and set up a meeting with him and the stupid twat. I openly questioned his professional competence and, pointing out that the welfare and well being of the students came secon,third and fourth.I was polite ( an effort for me) , the guy retired at the end of that term.
Best Wishes .
prince_huggy

Post by prince_huggy »

ageing hammer wrote:Keep fighting Huggy mate
Thank you
PrawnSandwich wrote:Hope you can get on top of this my man.
Anything you need drop me a line and I’m happy to chat.
Good luck buddy.
You too Prawny. Don't worry about the PM, whenever you get a chance. Have you tried turning it off and on again? :D
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Tomos don't have any regrets for what you said to that twat, your son must be treated properly and also take into account his condition that is first and foremost. You did the right thing because now this prick knows you are watching him and will not let him get away with this clear bullying of poor Dan.

I know you are in a catch 22 if you go in and throttle him all your sacrifices you made by moving home for the duration of Dan's course will be up in flames.

You have stood up to him and this might be enough to put him back in his box for a while bullies usually back down when challenged.

If you meet him again I would tell him you will go over his head and complain him if he doesn't stop the bullying. He has a boss somewhere so this might make him wary.

I hope it all works out for you and Dan.