KUMB Photography Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: KUMB Amature Photography Thread 2019

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

some cracking "amateur" *cough* snaps on here....

TOMoS another thumbs up from me for the coos...
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: KUMB Amateur Photography Thread 2019

Post by peter49uk »

For those looking for camera recommendations may I suggest Sony DSCH400B.CEH Digital Compact Bridge Camera

Purchased the camera (£250 ish) for the wife and there her photos it has a 63x zoom built in.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Peter :thup:
TheWHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by TheWHU »

Excellent idea this, always loved the previous photography threads but they disappear all too quickly.

This is a shot I've had since last year. Part of a series of shots as it swam by the other side of an arch under a bridge, I've always liked this one......BUT......and with that but, I wonder what other peoples thoughts are?!

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Cracking shot :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

British Rail Class 374/Eurostar e320, Medway Valley Viaduct

Having one of those tear past you at 180MPH and around 30ft away is something else!
TheWHU

Post by TheWHU »

-DL- wrote:Cracking shot :thup:
Thanks DL, I can't help bu think the rest of the scene in the background and going over to the arch to the left of the shot is a bit distracting though?! I have other shots where the swan is more central in the frame so it's not a problem but I love the water spilling from his beak in this one!
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Not seeing anything wrong with it - I suspect you're being a tad self critical. Which is no bad thing :)
TheWHU

Post by TheWHU »

-DL- wrote:Not seeing anything wrong with it - I suspect you're being a tad self critical. Which is no bad thing :)
You may well be right. I'm not sure I've got that many shots (of thousands) where I don't look at them and spot something I'd change or do differently but like you say, I keep myself on my toes at least :D

Some very talented people here and always impresses me that behind what brings us all to this site in the first place there are so many wonderful talents!
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Boycey wrote:Some very talented people here and always impresses me that behind what brings us all to this site in the first place there are so many wonderful talents!
West Ham fans.
I'd expect nothing less..
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Boycey wrote:Excellent idea this, always loved the previous photography threads but they disappear all too quickly.

This is a shot I've had since last year. Part of a series of shots as it swam by the other side of an arch under a bridge, I've always liked this one......BUT......and with that but, I wonder what other peoples thoughts are?!

Boycey - that is a cracking shot, and I know what you mean about the ‘but’ bit, as I often think the same about some of my pics. It might be something to do with the composition ... and the fact that the subject is towards the left of the photo. As we read from left to right and top to bottom, our eyes are used to scanning pictures that way and quite often in pics and paintings there is a visual ‘full stop’ in the right hand corner - it could be the photo subject, or something else, where your eyes would naturally come to a rest. The swan is on the left, so contradicts what comes naturally .... not a bad thing at all, but just makes your brain work harder and maybe raises the question.
TheWHU

Post by TheWHU »

Samba wrote: West Ham fans.
I'd expect nothing less..
Quite right too :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

BR Class 395 "Javelin", Cuxton, Kent.

-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Medway Viaduct, Kent

Full size

http://i66.tinypic.com/2rh7ic5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve, Cuxton, Kent.

TheWHU

Post by TheWHU »

pablo jaye wrote:
Boycey - that is a cracking shot, and I know what you mean about the ‘but’ bit, as I often think the same about some of my pics. It might be something to do with the composition ... and the fact that the subject is towards the left of the photo. As we read from left to right and top to bottom, our eyes are used to scanning pictures that way and quite often in pics and paintings there is a visual ‘full stop’ in the right hand corner - it could be the photo subject, or something else, where your eyes would naturally come to a rest. The swan is on the left, so contradicts what comes naturally .... not a bad thing at all, but just makes your brain work harder and maybe raises the question.
Thanks Pablo. Quite often I tend to ignore ‘the rules’ and view them as guidelines and trust my own instinct but you’re rigid what you say. I have other shots where the main subject is bottom right and any empty space elsewhere is irrelevant because the eye is drawn naturally to the subject anyway.

I do have 1 or 2 others where the swan is more central so might post those up later.
TheWHU

Post by TheWHU »

Lovely shots there DL :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Cheers Boycey.

It may be worth noting, that a lot gets lost when the forum resizes the pictures to standard size, so if anyone wants to see them full size, quote the post and copy and paste what's between the IMG boxes in to the address bar and the full size image is there.

I've posted a lot more of the shots above on Facebook. I'll leave it public until tomorrow if people want a look.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheWHU

Post by TheWHU »

-DL- wrote:Cheers Boycey.

It may be worth noting, that a lot gets lost when the forum resizes the pictures to standard size, so if anyone wants to see them full size, quote the post and copy and paste what's between the IMG boxes in to the address bar and the full size image is there.

I've posted a lot more of the shots above on Facebook. I'll leave it public until tomorrow if people want a look.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thup: I see, hadn't noticed that before as mine was pretty much as is but I'll keep that in mind next time. ****ed through your images from the Facebook link, cracking stuff!
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Boycey wrote:****ed through your images from the Facebook link, cracking stuff!
Dirty devil..