Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by e17 »

sicknote wrote:It’s ok I’ve always hated the fraud
He’s definitely going to end up in the list of “random strickers wot played for us but I forgot” within 5 years

Not as good as Demba Ba, not as bad as Mike Newell.

Somewhere in the Les Ferdinand category.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

He couldn’t lace David ‘bum fluff’ Kelly’s booots

And would give Alex Banbury a run for his money
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Sort of kid at school that would snitch on you to the teachers
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

thejackhammer wrote:
Number one priority this summer is a top forward.
Good luck with that one. We'll end up with Dwight Gayle :D
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Good luck with that one. We'll end up with Dwight Gayle :D
Sad but I think he would get more goals in a season than Hernandez, Perez and Carroll if not all three combined. He might turn up at away games too.

I really thought he was just the player we needed, but apart from a couple of really good 45 minutes since he arrived, I have been totally underwhelmed so far.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I didn't think Hernandez was ever going to work out for us. He is a good player, in the right team. He needs chances to be created for him, in a team that can afford to "carry" him. We need our strikers to hold the ball up, run in behind, bring others into play and chase down defenders. At the time we signed Hernandez, we were crying out for a Sakho-type striker (basically just an upgrade on Sakho) rather than a glorified poacher. When Arnie is fit, firing and committed, he's probably the best centre forward, in that mould, we could attract and afford.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

A few of the comments are a tad harsh. Not sure he'll become entirely forgotten like a random loanee such as Bunbury or a Newell!

He's a good player who's scored a few good goals, but I think his spell with us has largely been disappointing, as much in his mediocre goal return as anything else. Still, I think he's been far from terrible overall and still offers something. I think there's always a chance he could score whenever he's on the pitch.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Good luck with that one. We'll end up with Dwight Gayle :D
Hockley Hammer wrote:Sad but I think he would get more goals in a season than Hernandez, Perez and Carroll if not all three combined. He might turn up at away games too.

I really thought he was just the player we needed, but apart from a couple of really good 45 minutes since he arrived, I have been totally underwhelmed so far.
Gayle is as bad a diver as our own player...
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Doubt he'll be with us next season anyway.

He could still do the business at a top European club as a super sub but he is just too physically weak to play up front for us on his own.

He's not been a complete disaster though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

can't seem to find stats, but it seems Anderson has created our most "big chances" with 9 - total I think that is

Antonio, Snoddy and Arnie with 5 if I am reading it correctly

no forward, not even Aguero Kane or Salah can survive with that few chances.

none.

no wonder we don't score many goals.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:can't seem to find stats, but it seems Anderson has created our most "big chances" with 9 - total I think that is

Antonio, Snoddy and Arnie with 5 if I am reading it correctly

no forward, not even Aguero Kane or Salah can survive with that few chances.

none.

no wonder we don't score many goals.
What a useless stat that is without context.

How many 'big chances' have our peers' players created?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca - you do realise that stat puts Anderson level with Leroy Sané...

1 more than Christian Eriksen
2 more than Sigurdsson and Kane

Etc etc
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Patito wrote:Cuenca - you do realise that stat puts Anderson level with Leroy Sané...

1 more than Christian Eriksen
2 more than Sigurdsson and Kane

Etc etc
pat

it wasn't a knock on Anderson

if we are only creating 9, 5, 5, 5, then falling off a cliff after what about 30 games, we are NOT going to be competitive week in week out.

we score 1.23 a game and let in 1.43

you mention Sane, but obviously Citeh spread throughout their team chances

David Silva 13, Sterling 11, Bernardo Silva 10, Sane 9

they score 2.63 and give up 0.70

you mention Erikson and Spurs score 1.90 and give up 1.07

so somewhere in the middle, we need more creative players. as evidenced by Anderson not scoring for a while, and for us to not be winning for a while again on a week by week basis.

I said "the best goalscorers would struggle in our team due to the lack of chances we create."

hell Ryan Fraser has 19 for Bournemouth and Callum Wilson 11

@ Jackhammer

what the hell are you talking about "in context."

our peers ?

see above and add Lucas Digne 12 who is a full back. James Maddison for Leicester 11.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... ce_created" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's our general lack of scoring goals and/or creating loads of chances that keeps us from beating teams like Cardiff, Brighton, Bournemouth etc. etc. how many games this season have we not had a shot on goal or not until the 80th minute or so. I would imagine quite a few.

I don't "expect" us to beat the teams at the sharp end, not regularly at least, but our season has done a nose dive since January and that defeat at Wimbledon. I don't need stats to tell me that we are struggling to score.
Patito

Post by Patito »

@Cuenc honestly it’s not that bad, it’s not the best stat at all to go on as we all know the likes of Anderson, Sane & Eriksen have created a lot more than 8/9 big chances. I wouldn’t worry about that particular stat.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Everton have Digne on 12, then after that is 7, 4, 3.

Leicester Madisson on 11, then 7, 5, 5.

Vaguely similar to us. Your goals for and goals against stats make more sense.

But even they are distorted by heavy defeats to Man City and Liverpool early on.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ pat

@ jackhammer

agreed that the big losses to City and Liverpool distort the figures but then again in reverse so do the wins against Everton, Fulham and Newcastle.

swings and roundabouts.

we still don't score enough in the tight games against the teams in and around us.

not only that, there are too many games when we create nothing, don't get a shot on goal and don't score. and/or not until the game is almost out of our grasp.

scoring 1. minimal and letting in 1.5 a game means that "on average" we need 2 goals just to get a point.

we laud Oggie and Diop and the General but Fabianski has the most saves in the division

that's not a great stat right there. our goals against column would be far worse imvho - and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

there's still a problem to be sorted out and if the 25M is to be believed via * & * then we are in for a very difficult next season.

we need a back gk
starting or back up RB
starting or back up LB
another competent DM
starting F

Masuaku - gone

if we can get those sorted we can "get by" with

Antonio
Snoddy
Nasri
Yarmolenko
Sanchez - jury is out
Anderson
Noble
Wilshere - jury is out
Obiang - gone

Arnie - jury is out
Perez - gone
Chicharito - probably gone
Carroll - I hope to goodness he's gone

we could raise a few bob letting go of one or more of the midfield lot and Masuaku

Diagana seems to have dropped out of the reckoning but I think that's more because he had such a great start and youngsters just cannot get by on adrenaline alone - he has talent I am sure of that.

so supplement the midfield with Holland, Diagana maybe another academy kid, Johnson, Coventry here and there.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

I completely agree. I've been saying Arnautovic isn't enough for months even before he kicked off. Blanks against Brighton, Wolves, Cardiff, struggles against Huddersfield, arguably it's cost us more points than our defensive problems.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

it's a tough analysis knowing whether or not if we had scored a goal against the teams you mention, the extra pressure would not have been on the defensive boys. fairly obvious but not defined.

plus chucking men forward to try to get those goals means we usually leave the midfield wide open ergo we're under pressure from breakaways

I wonder how many goals have come from a long punt forward and/or a quick interchange and bang the ball is in the net

first goal against Cardiff is a microcosm of goals we have given up in games this year

sometimes I think it is the system that we play because we really don't have the players in certain positions that is needed - the technical skill and/or the ability to use it

all players at this level possess a very high level of skill

I took a coaching course once and one of the questions that a participant was asked always sticks in my mind

(glad they didn't ask me !!)

what is the difference between technique and skill ?

well there's me thinking that they are one and the same...…..

well technique is having the ability to dribble, pass, control, shoot the ball.

skill is being able to perform that particular technique under pressure.

a small distinction but one I think that pervades our squad (note I didn't say players) in that they all have technique but they all don't have skill.

imvho
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Harsh assessment to pick out games where strikers don't score and say "they're not good enough."

Arnie, before the nonsense, had recently saved us against Brighton with a brace. Before Arsenal, which I think we can put as a line for where things were obvious, he had 8 goals in 17 matches (and 2 assists).

That puts him on course for pretty good figures for a West Ham striker.

Even now, Hernandez has scored a goal every 226 mins in the league, which is still worse than Arnie's 205 mins per goal (which includes since the transfer stuff). I know we're saying both aren't good enough, but it offers some interesting context.

Bizarre to think Hernandez will be remembered by some in the Simone Zaza level of strikers, the ones we had who were just adding to the list. Hernandez has been alright, but never suited to us post Payet. 8 goals in the league last year, something he could still match. Not insignificant by any means, if not revolutionary either.

Hernandez's problem is that his reputation as a pure goalscorer and the fact we'd lacked that for so long seemed to fit. But it wasn't the right fit in other areas, plus we've been a mess. To have a second striker, a man who was often backup or left wing last year, still pick up 8 goals is actually quite impressive.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Wilko :thup: football isn’t as black and white as people often make out