Burglary what more can you do

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Burglary what more can you do

Postby James P on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am

The off the record police advice I’ve had is that basically you need to make your home less appealing to a burglar than your neighbours’. Sounds pretty defeatist but I guess that’s the world we live in.
James P

Postby Whitters on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:21 am

Ultimately there`s not enormous amounts you can do for a determined burglar, so we just try to make our house less easy to burgle than the others in the street.

We have a good monitored alarm system and a dog....and although he is a very friendly little terrier, a sign by the gate saying `beware of the dog` has stopped some delivery guys from even opening the gate.

If someone wants to come into the house they`ll just have a few minutes as the security firm get here pretty quickly, usually within 5 minutes, so hopefully they will just have enough time to grab a few quick things then scarper rather than do too much damage.
Whitters

Postby fmgod on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

Cameras, alarms, you can get the plugs that turn on and off say lights and tv that makes it appear as though you're in

CCTV footage is neigh on useless, I remember from one job we had four hours worth of footage of them(took the lead from the roof) and various other cases you can't make head nor or tail of the faces tbh and most cover up with hoodies.

The odds of being court are minimal and even so they'll get sod all.
fmgod

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Leaving the lights on all day is one I'd recommend, not very economical or green though. 8-)
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Harry Hound on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Leaving the lights on all day is one I'd recommend, not very economical or green though. 8-)

Put them on a timer
Harry Hound

Postby Harry Hound on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Leaving the lights on all day is one I'd recommend, not very economical or green though. 8-)

Put them on a timer
Harry Hound

Postby S-H on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm

You could put them on a timer.
S-H

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Some sort of timer would make sense here.
DasNutNock

Postby jastons on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm

jastons

Postby Monkey Mike on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Outstanding! :lol:
Monkey Mike

Postby NT Hammer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Two simple deterrents having worked with many burglars

Beware of the dog sign even if you have a dog or not
Never leave gardening tools out or sheds easy to get in . They don’t need to go equipped if you leave stuff out
Outside lights , try not to leave mail or bins removed or not put back for too long
Most crime is opportunist it happens to the people that leave the gate unlocked , have a gap in the fence or clearly you can see there not home

One prolific scumbag I knew used to walk along with a football & bounce it off a front door or window then wait to see if someone came to or looked through the door or window . He’s then know if someone was home or not & if they came out he just apologised with a football in his hands nothing suspicious
NT Hammer

Postby Samba on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 am

sendô wrote:Don't mean to be nasty, but if the bloke is never there but doesn't have an alarm, no cameras and windows at the back that are clearly easy to put through, did he expect never to get done over?

Trouble is, so many people simply believe, 'it'll never happen to me'. They just can't imagine it, as so far in their life, it hasn't happened.
You've got to look at the front AND back of your place BUT, as if through the eyes of a scumbag.
YOU might not think that you could break in but I trust that YOU are not a scumbag burglar who almost certainly could..
Samba

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 am

NT Hammer wrote:Never leave gardening tools out or sheds easy to get in

Mate of mine spent about 2 and half grand getting his all singing all dancing shed for his expensive cycles, bragging about it he invited me round to see what this so called top notch company had provided,
I said to him to gimme 2 secs
Nipped out to the car and got a medium flat head screwdriver
I proceeded then to remove the 4 screws in the bottom right hand hinge inside a minute
I handed him the screws and said , had I had an electronic screwdriver I would probably be loading 10K of your kit into a van right now.
Advised him to drill through use bolts and double locking nuts , If someone wants to get in now they are going to have to make one hell of a racket smashing the **** out of the shed
FreeWheeling

Postby peter49uk on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 am

One thing I would point out, my wife told me someone she knows got done but then not long after the same person was advertising on Facebook that they were away on holiday by posting pictures of the lovely cottage they were in. :o
What I read is half the time they go after car keys, if you have a half decent car put a visual deterrent on the car, a big lump of a chain round the pedals and up through the steering wheel with a big padlock on show is as good as anything.
Regarding lights on timers we have them and I think they saved my neighbour from loosing his lawn mower because someone broke into his shed nicking his mower but I think as they were wheeling it down between our houses in his wheelbarrow one of my indoor lights came on and they must have thought someone was up and they did a runner, the mower was left adjacent to where our light came on.
peter49uk

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 am

Have ordered fence spikes, beware of dog signs for front door and back gate

If they decide to get over they have to smash the glass as the patio doors have a handle lock thing on, with anti tamper washers on the actual handles so they can’t just be removed

Then their on camera whilst they do that

If they still want to try the dogs in the kitchen and the alarm will sound

People will still try but hopefully enough to put them off

The wife said no to my sliding shutters you draw at night and when you go out for the back door.. and a crocodile in a moat just isn’t practical
mumbles87

Postby BARKING IRON on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:37 am

I think the sight of a French bulldog sitting in his bed masturbating staring at you is menacing enough to put any junkie burglar off from breaking in to my humble abode
BARKING IRON

Postby peter49uk on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:38 am

What mumbles has I have handle lock thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QI-F1wxDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter49uk

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 am

peter49uk wrote:What mumbles has I have handle lock thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QI-F1wxDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only thing about that security expert is he has put the patlock back to front! The black bit is to face outside.. clamps it tighter
mumbles87

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:56 pm

peter49uk wrote:What mumbles has I have handle lock thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QI-F1wxDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like that :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:
I like that :thup:

Inside the pack you also get an optional extra to use

Two new spindals for the handles only difference is they have a locking washer that once you have secured it there is no removing it

So if someone undid your handles from the outside in the hope to pull the lock off the spindal is impossible to move
mumbles87

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug