Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Watching some live boxing from Brentwood Centre on the iFL TV channel on YouTube. It’s mostly low level stuff but Michael McKinson vs Ryan Kelly might be worth watching.
Patito

Post by Patito »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Watching some live boxing from Brentwood Centre on the iFL TV channel on YouTube. It’s mostly low level stuff but Michael McKinson vs Ryan Kelly might be worth watching.
They put on some decent boxing events down at the Brentwood Centre, I'm sure Johnny Garton fought there in the last year or 2.
Patito

Post by Patito »

westhamdave1 wrote:
Definitely World Champion within 2-3 years
I think you may be right. Will be interesting to see if he can still land consistently against a proper awkward type HW.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Anthony Ogogo has retired from professional boxing. Broke his eye socket in his last fight in October 2016 and has seven operations on it since. Right decision, can’t put your health at risk in a dangerous sport.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Time for Yarde to step up. I think he might be as good as he seems but we just don’t know yet. Needs a decent name next.
Anthony Yarde vs Sergey Kovalev? Seriously? I know I said Yarde needs to step up but Kovalev is a whole different level.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Allen vs Browne is expected to headline that 02 show, absolute madness, both absolutely useless, might as well go down the pub and watch a fight. Anyone who buys tickets need their head tested.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Erroll Spence Jr vs Mikey Garcia this weekend. That's going to be some fight. I'd like to see Garcia win this but I think Spence's size advantage is going to tell. Late stoppage I reckon.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

On ITV4 as well from 1am. Best fight that's been on domestic TV for a long long time
Patito

Post by Patito »

Slacking student wrote:On ITV4 as well from 1am. Best fight that's been on domestic TV for a long long time
I wasn't aware of that! Brilliant, cheers for that.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

~Anyone seen Katie Taylor's opponent, definitely no VADA testing there
Slacking student

:o

York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Katie Taylor wins TKO 9th round. A dominant performance.

Decent scrap between Farmer and Carroll. Farmer is classy. Great effort from Carroll but Farmer wins by UD.
Slacking student

The images from the weigh in between Spence and Garcia is remarkable, size difference is certainly something

Prediction: Errol Spence by whatever method he wants, whenever he wants
Billy_Boy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Billy_Boy »

Slacking student wrote:
Prediction: Errol Spence by whatever method he wants, whenever he wants
This is pretty much what it amounted to. As much as I like and respect Garcia and would have loved him to upset the odds, the size difference simply proved too much.

That isn't trying to detract from what Spence did; he won every round convincingly and boxed superbly. I'm not sure that Manny P fancy's a crack at is title having witnessed that performance.

Garcia's corner could have pulled him out after the 9th to save him from more punishment; those last three rounds may take a year or two from his career but you have to applaud the lad stepping up TWO divisions to take on the best. Hopefully he can step back down to 135lb and take on Lomachenko.
Patito

Post by Patito »

A weight class too far for Mikey.

Spence Jr looked imperious.

Would love to see Garcia-Lomachenko after the Ukrainian dismantles Crolla.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Benavidez impressed on his return as well Sat night. :thup:
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Ingle very rattled when the conversation of peds came up in the Warrington vs Galahad press conference
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Boxing tonight at the Copper Box live on Sky Sports from 7pm.: Charlie Edwards v Angel Moreno (WBC world flyweight title); Joshua Buatsi v Liam Conroy (British light heavyweight title); Lawrence Okolie v Wadi Camacho (British & Commonwealth cruiserweight titles).

Card from Leicester Arena live on BT Sports from 7.45pm. Includes Sam Bowen vs Jordan McCorry for the British Super Featherweight Title and Nathan Gorman vs Kevin Johnson (heavyweight).
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Maxwell vs Sediri was an entertaining scrap. Maxwell was dropped in the first and second rounds, fought his way back into the fight and KOed Sediri in the last seconds of the fight after Sediri had been showboating.

Gorman wins on pts. What is the point of Kevin Johnson?

Bowen v McCorry was a bit of a letdown. McCorry behaved liked a tit for seven rounds, was warned, had points deducted twice, and only after the referee told him he wouldn’t get paid if he was DQ did he start to behave himself. Bowen boxed well, stopped McCorry in the 9th.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

I do like Charlie Edwards - likable London lad with a good story - very good boxer too - hope he can make them unifications later in the year!

Hearn desperately needs him to unify as well and now needs Buatsi to step up as he has the talent to do so. Hearn has spread himself too thin with the DAZN America adventure + all these other worldwide shows, Uk shows suffering badly and he is struggling to pull out a decent Saturday night show let alone have the audacity to try make one a PPV! As someone posted a few posts back, Dave ****ing Alan is headlining a Sky O2 Card - I mean WTF - guy is trash yet apparently he is funny and is has all these braindead twitter followers so hey that's enough to headline despite not even being at British level :lol:

Adam Smith (Head of Sky) interviewed recently and you could see Sky are getting pissed that Hearn is not delivering the allocated PPV they want.

The problem for British boxing in general is the 'Golden generation' (DeGale, Groves, Froch, Bellew, etc) are all retired now or are on the verge of retiring / on the slide (Khan, Brook, Chisora, Frampton) and the new generation have not stepped up enough to justify being PPV.