Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

woodgreenspur
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by woodgreenspur »

Phil S wrote:I've seen plenty of away fans say they liked the Boleyn...and hate the new ground
As an opposing fan, i can say the the boleyn was my favourite away, bar none.I have been all over with Spurs, but that short trek across the River lea was the one i always looked forward more than any.
Never been to the OS, so can't comment.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:UTJ has it right.

I don’t particularly care where I watch West Ham play football. It’s the people I watch with that makes it enjoyable.

The lies were the problem.
I think they are linked in some ways, walking along Green Street for a big game there could be a buzz that you could feed off something I do not get at all at Stratford often the approach achieves the opposite, come to think of it the most common reason I hear for not renewing is the walk to the stadium.

Looking back people around me in West Stand Lower at the Boleyn could generate an atmosphere when the occasion arose no matter how bad the team were, I still see some of those same people at the London Stadium but rarely have they replicated it if at all so something clearly has affected them and I don't think that the approach to the stadium is a positive in putting as in the mood or the configuration of stadium inside helps too.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

That's the real thing isn't it, people were sold something different. It's probably why I don't feel so aggrieved because I went to the Olympic stadium so had a good idea what to expect. I didn't really read any of the bull++++ from the club
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

goa127 wrote:That's the real thing isn't it, people were sold something different. It's probably why I don't feel so aggrieved because I went to the Olympic stadium so had a good idea what to expect. I didn't really read any of the bull++++ from the club
I think this is what what makes many of us so angry. We were promised next level investment and competing for honours. It would be easier to take if we were in a European semi final. But we are not and show no sign that we ever will be. Instead the owners pocketed a few million and continue to milk us.
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

goa127 wrote:That's the real thing isn't it, people were sold something different. It's probably why I don't feel so aggrieved because I went to the Olympic stadium so had a good idea what to expect. I didn't really read any of the bull++++ from the club
Spot on and there is little prospect of ever delivering on what people were sold especially in the immediate future.

Additionally I too went to the Olympic Stadium but I think it would reasonable to expect something better than what has been delivered, other than the scaffold stands little has changed for the football spectator for the better.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Up the Junction wrote:The stadium isn't the problem, per se. That can be fixed, if there is motivation to do so.

The crux of the issue is and always will be the lies the fan base were told before moving to Stratford, the lies that resulted in 85 per cent of those polled apparently supporting the move (see the quote above in my 2:06am post, pg 640).
The stadium will never be fixed by GSB. They may make a few minor improvements, as we have seen lately with the carpet. Major investement? No chance. No motivation at all.

Improvements may be made by those that run the stadium, but only if it saves them money. They are making a massive loss. How long can the taxpayer keep paying for that loss before it becomes unacceptable. This could work in the clubs favour.

Also, I really don't think that many fans believe a word that comes out of the collective mouth of GSB. Not now, and not before the move. I know I don't.

For me, as someone who was, and still is in favour of the move, it was always a long term thing. The belief and hope that moving would help make us a more successful club. At no point did I ever believe that success would be achieved under our current owners though.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Coops wrote:
I think this is what what makes many of us so angry. We were promised next level investment and competing for honours. It would be easier to take if we were in a European semi final. But we are not and show no sign that we ever will be. Instead the owners pocketed a few million and continue to milk us.
Whilst the owners were certainly spinning a line with their proclamations of intent, surely you did not expect us to be in a European final so soon?

Here is a question. If the owners had been a little less definite with their ambitions, and had tempered the tone of their statements pre-move, would people still be as pissed off with it all?
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

For as long as they do not own the stadium the major changes people would want cannot happen, the cosmetic is what they are limited to. Landlords do not like tenants to knock down the walls.

Were they do own the stadium whether they could afford or be bothered with those changes is a different issue. We all know they could not and would not which is why it is a process. Economics suggest they will eventually be offered the ground, they are property people and know it would be daft not to buy, their percentage repayment on sale will expire and they will then look to sell at which point the issue will be if the new owners have any desire to redevelop and if so when. The Olympic stadium will not exist as it does in 50 years, few grounds survive that long without redevelopment but will it in say 15?
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Whilst the owners were certainly spinning a line with their proclamations of intent, surely you did not expect us to be in a European final so soon?s

Here is a question. If the owners had been a little less definite with their ambitions, and had tempered the tone of their statements pre-move, would people still be as pissed off with it all?

No I don’t but equally I think the move would have encountered more resistance as more focus would have been given by fans towards the suitability of the stadium, which clearly once discussed would have brought about more to questions to justify of leaving Upton Park.

The owners knew exactly what they were doing in their approach otherwise the move might never have got off the ground if the fan base were aware of the reality that was in-store for them.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Up the Junction wrote:...And just like Brexit, and the enormous "£350m to the NHS every week" lie, people won't stand for it. And until the Board put it right, and deliver what they promised, I think they can expect the criticism/protests to continue.
100%
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Whilst the owners were certainly spinning a line with their proclamations of intent, surely you did not expect us to be in a European final so soon?

No not necessarily in a European Semi final, I said that because there are 4 English clubs who currently are and we were promised we would be competing with the top teams. But we should be looking to finish in the top 8 and Arsenal should "be looking over their shoulders". We haven't narrowly missed out on a European slot, we have been miles away. When we did qualify there was no intent to actually compete for the thing (we couldn't even score against Astra f'ing googoo).

If the owners had told us the truth, that the move was so they could flip the sale and pocket £20 Million. That we would still be in massive debt and they would be milking huge interest payments from us. That they were only interested in Premier league survival and the SKY TV money. Then I think more of us would have kicked up a stink about the move. But obviously they didn't do that, they told us lies and sold us a dream to keep us quiet.
costa75

Post by costa75 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
costa75

Post by costa75 »

I've read the Terms of Use, and I am not in any way having a dig at the mods who do a fine job on this site. But why was my last post removed?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

costa75 wrote:I've read the Terms of Use, and I am not in any way having a dig at the mods who do a fine job on this site. But why was my last post removed?
Political comment in GD, costa.
costa75

Post by costa75 »

Up the Junction wrote: Political comment in GD, costa.

Fair enough UTJ. I was just having a little joke about your own Brexit comment that is all. Apologies, won't do it again.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

costa75 wrote:I was just having a little joke about your own Brexit comment that is all.
It's fine mate, and I get that... Just that someone will comment on your post, and someone will comment on that, und so weiter...
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

costa75 wrote:I've read the Terms of Use, and I am not in any way having a dig at the mods who do a fine job on this site. But why was my last post removed?
Did you write something negative about Jeremy Corbyn ?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

nothing major will happen at the bowl until we own it, a few years off and hopefully operating stadium costs soar and losses increase so west ham get offered the bowl. Then GSB will have the opportunity to flog the club with a ground and make one last big profit from the club they are custodians for !

Then with new owners comes the challenge. it will need rebuilding as the place wont last another 20 years.
majot investment needed to reconfigure stands and put in a proper concourse. A west ham hotel with matchday experience are all possibilities for owners who want to invest in the clubs future the current leeches don't.

so until that day has dawn we have the soul draining walk through the wastelands to the bowl for a few more years yet. I will stop going in a season or two and doubt I will see the rebirth of the renamed bowl.
The Bobby Moore stadium will be a great place to watch west ham one day , just not now !
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

As long as 50000+ keep buying STs and the club stays in the Prem, GSB and their families will hang around milking it. Nothing will change.

For me, the walk to:from the OS was never the issue. Walking back to Canning Town station after an evening game wasn’t pleasant tbh. The atmosphere for some games has actually been very good but the view....that’s been the killer. Like looking at the moon, the sight-lines are fine but in reality when I can’t see which of the subs is warming up, I’m done.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

exactly and if you are behind the goal you have no chance of seeing the other end.
The corners offer a reasonable view and are the closest we can get.
Makes me jealous when I see highlights of other games and how close and part of the action the fans are.

we were sold a rotten dump of a place which will make Sullivan richer that is all that matters to them. stay in the league and shaft west ham ! fans my arse !