Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by -DL- »

Samba wrote: What was the difference in driving experience before & after, DL?
My front tyres really struggle for grip when I try to pull away quickly, but on the right surface, once they bite, f*** me it shifts. I've got 205/55/16 at the moment - but I think ideally I'm going to need 225 - which according to my local friendly tyre place, would fit on my current rims.

It wasn't that much of a slouch when I first got it, was quite happy to speed up from 45 in 6th. Now, it's all pretty much the same experience - until you start putting your right foot down a bit harder, and that's when the fun starts.

Bare in mind, it's only 12 BHP less than the original Y reg to 55 Reg Type-R. But with masses of more torque. The extra torque is where you really feel it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

-DL- wrote: Bare in mind, it's only 12 BHP less than the original Y reg to 55 Reg Type-R. But with masses of more torque. The extra torque is where you really feel it.
I miss driving fun cars. :(
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I got to drive an Audi R8 at the weekend, that was fun, what a car.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote: I miss driving fun cars. :(
My 52 plate Type-R 30th Anniversary Edition was the first car I ever bought brand new. Fun is probably the best way to describe it.

197 BHP, red line at 8500 RPM, pretty light weight, and it went like **** off a shovel. Compare that now to the latest Civic Type-R, still FWD with 316 BHP turbo lump.. The latest is a ****ing monster.

I'd love to have one but 1) Couldn't afford it now even if I was back at work, and 2) It would scream of mid-life crisis.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Ive got a Civic, not a sport one just an 1800 but with some nice extras.

I took it in for a sevice on Saturday and when I was driving home I could feel LOADS more power, took me a while to realise what they had done.

My new joy was shortlived when I realised they had turned off the economy button :oops:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

V-M wrote: My new joy was shortlived when I realised they had turned off the economy button :oops:
I stopped using my economy button about 2 weeks after I got it, and then realised at actually does bugger all in terms of economy.

Asked the dealer what it actually does, and all it does is reduce unnecessary use of the air-con when the climate control is set to auto and give slower and more gentle acceleration when you've got the cruise control on, and gives a slower fuel feed when in normal driving.

As they said to me, 'it's a bit pointless, but it ticks a green box'....
sendô

Post by sendô »

-DL- wrote:
197 BHP, red line at 8500 RPM, pretty light weight, and it went like **** off a shovel.
I had a special edition 3 series with a special race built engine that went up to 9000rpm. I blew 2 cylinders on the M1 taking it over 8500.

That cost me £4k to fix. No fun cars for me for a few years now. :(
sendô

Post by sendô »

What's the deal with 3 mobile and their absolutely shocking voicemail system that tells me I have a voicemail every time I regain phone signal?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

One for the web developer types.

Why do cookies appear to be set before I select accept or decline?

I'll visit a site for the first time, a massive cookie consent box will appear, for whatever reason I either choose decline or immediately leave the site. I look at stored cookies in my browser and find the site has set up to a dozen or more in multiple categories, all without me consenting. What's going on?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Where's warp?
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Lifts.
I'm on the ground floor and go up, if I press the button for G as I get out, will it go back to the ground floor, or if someone else has called it first, will it go there?
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

sendô wrote:I miss driving fun cars. :(
Tbh, imo, what with the congestion charge, the ULEZ charge, speed cameras, average speed cameras & the amount of traffic everywhere, much of the fun has been taken out of driving, even if you're lucky to have a 'fun car'.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Samba wrote: Tbh, imo, what with the congestion charge, the ULEZ charge, speed cameras, average speed cameras & the amount of traffic everywhere, much of the fun has been taken out of driving, even if you're lucky to have a 'fun car'.
That depends on where you live. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where there's usually an alternative route that doesn't involve going on the main roads. Nice winding, country, the odd single track road where you can see far ahead if anything is coming (which is unusual if you actually do), and away from the congestion, cameras etc.

When I go to/from work in Bromley to my house just outside Strood, there's a 'back way' that takes an hour rather than the normal 45 minutes, and most of it is country side rads, where I can have a bit of fun if I want to - but even when I don't have fun, it just makes a nice change to the traffic, boredom and monotony of A2/M25/A21.

Even more fun when I'm on a late shift, and can do the entire journey home at 0200 and count the amount of other vehicles I see on one hand 8-)

There's a big wide world out there away from London, and you don't have to go far to find it. It's sometimes worth setting the sat-nav to shortest journey and avoiding motorways and you discover roads local that you didn't even know existed.
Samba

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote:That depends on where you live.
Yes, that is very true, DL. I did realise that when I posted!
There are some lovely parts of the country to still enjoy driving. Where I live, isn't one of them!
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

It's lovely driving round here, I just need to get a new elastic band on the old Skoda.
sendô

Post by sendô »

WHU_Del wrote:Lifts.
I'm on the ground floor and go up, if I press the button for G as I get out, will it go back to the ground floor, or if someone else has called it first, will it go there?
That depends on the programming for the lifts, but it'll normally take the calls in a logical order, i.e if the lift is set to UP, and you go from ground to 3rd, press G, but someone else on 5 has called to go to 10, it'll continue up as I understand.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

In The Blues Brothers, the band goes to a country bar and pretend they’re the booked act, The Good Old Boys. They play all night and come the end of the evening the bar is closing and the owner tells them they have run up a massive beer tab that he expects them to pay. As Jake & Elwood go outside “to collect money” from the rest of the band, the actual Good Old Boys turn up to play the gig. The Blues Brothers scapa and the bar owner is angry he’s been ripped off and The Good Old Boys are angry their gig was stolen. They both go chasing after The Blues Brothers for revenge.

What I don’t understand is The Good Old Boys turned up when the bar was closing??? They missed the gig! What’s that all about?
Samba

Post by Samba »

James P wrote:What I don’t understand is The Good Old Boys turned up when the bar was closing??? They missed the gig! What’s that all about?
Ah, were they turning up to play that night or just popping in?
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Didn't the Blues Brothers delay them or send them somewhere else?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

James P wrote:What I don’t understand is The Good Old Boys turned up when the bar was closing??? They missed the gig! What’s that all about?
they drive the eagle 5, they probably ran out of gas cos they didn't put more than 5 dollars.