The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mushy
Has liked: 652 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by mushy »

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... NnpcN_TU1I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mental Health Awareness week.
Some.good tips in the above on how to help and support others.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

^ I see The Jeremy Kyle Show has been suspended after someone died a week after being on his programme - I've not seen it written anywhere but the implication is the guy killed himself after getting a savaging on the programme.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I haven't seen The Jeremy Kyle for years now , I'm willing to bet it hasn't changed a bit . I did read or hear that it had been cancelled due to a guest killing himself - Same thing happened on a Noel Edmonds Show back in '86 -

Whoever goes on the Jeremy Kyle Show should know what they're letting themselves in for but I guess they're drawn to the money , the notoriety or perhaps on the rare occasion want closure or the truth .
The Old Man of Storr

Ok , this isn't a huge problem so I'm not sure it's deserving of discussion -

For the past two weeks I've been suffering from a pain in my left side that on some days has been leaving me in my chair for most of the day - It could have been a pulled muscle or it could have been irritable bowel - I'd go to sit down and it would feel as though the wind had been knocked out of me - Anyway , I digress - because of this problem I haven't been able to go out much - I've taken very short walks to the woods behind our house but as Jennie has been backwards and forwards to Skye of late I've been stuck without a car and we live in a place without a bus run [ apart from the school bus ] .

Now it could be I'm suffering from Cabin Fever but I was talking about it to Jen this morning and of course the first thing she says is ' Is there anything worrying you ? ' - well , no there isn't , just the usual things that only more money can solve - it was more to do with being stuck in the house on sunny days - I searched Netflix without success , I searched Sky Movies , seen them all -
Yesterday Jen was suggesting going to Lossiemouth to a little cafe by the West Beach , they do home made cakes for £1.80 a slice - I thought I'd stay in and watch Game of Thrones , the same bloody episode I'd watched earlier that morning - so of course I agree to go along and by the time my back and my legs had loosened up a bit I did manage a short walk on the beach , the tide was out so the sandy beach was exposed - afterwards we sat and watched the bombers taking off from the RAF base circling the skies and then landing again .

There was a time , about 4 years back , it was summertime and Jen was trying to get me out of the house and I was making excuse after excuse not to go - I knew there was something wrong then and it's starting to creep back .

As I said , it's nothing serious - sometimes I think it's down to these opioids I have to take and it probably is but without them I couldn't function .

Anyone else get like this sometimes ?

Sincerest apologies to those of you with real problems . :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

^^^^Kidney stone.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

TOMOS,

Never apologise for sharing or compare with others. Your problem is as big an issue for you as others issues are for them. You are not comparing apples.

I have been where you are over the winter. Looking for any excuse to be at home. Unenthusiastic for anything other than sitting on the sofa and watching trash. I can't offer any solutions for you. I can tell you how I dealt with it and that was to timetable a point in the day when I go for a walk. Eventually it went from being something i resented to something that was essential. Weirdly I prefer it when it is miserable. There are less people around and no pressure to feel happy.

I want to go places where I can walk in lovely surroundings and have been to Devon twice this year, which i would have hated a year ago.

My issues can only be solved with more cash, but we are coming out of the tunnel now. We were -100 last month, broke even this month and even after taxing and MOT'ing the car, we will break even next month with a +300 the month after and onwards climbing to around +800 by Christmas.

It almost broke me completely, but the walks have really helped. We live on the coast in Portishead near Bristol and I love walking near the water.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
My issues can only be solved with more cash, but we are coming out of the tunnel now.
That's great news mate, glad to hear it.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I haven't seen The Jeremy Kyle for years now , I'm willing to bet it hasn't changed a bit . I did read or hear that it had been cancelled due to a guest killing himself - Same thing happened on a Noel Edmonds Show back in '86 -
'The Late, Late Breakfast Show'? Don't think that was by his own hand, TOMoS.
Didn't the poor bloke get picked to do a bungee jump but the stunt crew forgot to secure the ropes at the top?
Nearly finished Noel off, I believe.

Whoever goes on the Jeremy Kyle Show should know what they're letting themselves in for but I guess they're drawn to the money , the notoriety or perhaps on the rare occasion want closure or the truth .
Tbh, I've surprised it's taken this long before someone has ended up doing that.
It's an awful programme but really no different to years ago when people used to go to watch public executions or go on public tours of Bedlam.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:West Ham By The Sea -

I've only been to Bournemouth once - stayed there for a week - my Mother In Law was dying from Ovarian Cancer and it was her choice to go there for a short break - I'll never forget it as Chernobyl happened that very same week !
Jennie was pregnant with Becky our eldest and she worried about her food intake , where it had come from etc - I guess it was a worrying time for us all .

What I remember from the visit was the amount of ' Art ' and ' Antiques ' shops there - of course Phyllis' illness meant we couldn't enjoy our trip to Bournemouth 100% but we had a nice time mostly .
Bless you TOMOS - oddly enough I also always remember the Chernobyl thing as i was on a school holiday at Butlins Barry Island, and it was the week when West Ham were playing every other day to catch up our fixture backlog in the 85-86 season. Suffice to say my only communiques on how we were doing came from daily letters from my family - IIRC most of the games were 1-0 to us with a Ray Stewart pen. You could tell the reverence that WHUFC had for my family...would have a run-down of the game, then as a post-script something like 'oh, and by the way, there's also been the world's worst ever nuclear disaster in the USSR. Anyway, Man City at home next!'. :scarfer:

I'd struggle to go back to Alderney in the Channel Isles for similar reasons - had our last family holiday there a few weeks before my Mum passed away aged 47; George Martin (Beatles) gave us his house there for a fortnight. Lovely place but i might struggle going back.

All that said - I'm actually in Poole to be honest rather than Bournemouth, so if you do find yourself drawn to the coast at any point, keep going on the A35 for a few miles, give Bournemouth a swerve and you'll find a warm welcome in Ye Olde Dorset (Bournemouth was Hampshire until 1979, so a bit of an imposter)!
The Old Man of Storr

Samba -

It was a bungee rope you're right - I didn't mean that the poor bloke killed himself just two TV show deaths .

DL -

Don't think it's a kidney stone , mate - I think it's more connected to bowel problems due to the opioids - I've been upping the old fibre intake during the last 4 days - Fibogel , capsules , dried apricots , figs and branflakes and today was my first poo in 4 days - I normally go every day - the pain has been a lot better during the last day or two .

Bristol -

Jennie had to spend 5 days away on Skye due to 2 separate groups of guests coming to our let - I didn't move out of the house - but to be fair I was in a lot of discomfort .
She took me out for my longest walk in days , weeks maybe and after I got back in the house I did begin to feel a lot better - From October to December 2018 we were trying to go out for a walk 5 days a week - by the time Christmas came along I had lost more than half a stone - then Jen's problems began , she found blood in her urine - we didn't know the Doctors as well , she thought she was better but then it got worse - she was feeling too unwell to go out , the weight I had lost came back and more - I was probably comfort eating .
Jen has to go back to Skye again this weekend but I'm going to promise myself that I'll go on the walk behind this house we're renting every day - it's not a long walk but you can make it as long as you want as it has paths going around the woods with some going in all directions - I'll keep off the rice pudding and kit-kats too !

I'm happy that you're coming through your dark period - we're living on the bare minimum , we're overdrawn just now but we'll get out of it soon once we're back on Skye and not having to pay so much money out in rent and two sets of council tax , two electricity bills - EDF took £170 in direct debits off us last week and we're not even there , we checked with them and we're £500 in credit with the bastards yet they can take whatever they like off our bank account ! Grrr !

A little bit of exercise every day does wonders for you , it's getting out of the house that I find difficult sometimes - I'll get over it soon - I felt a lot better this afternoon - wish I hadn't bothered you all . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

WBTS - so you'll know Harry Redknapp then ! :)

We visited Poole while on that same holiday . :thup:

I recorded the recent programme , ' Chernobyl ' thinking we could watch it together but Jen's avoiding it , I know why - it reminds her too much of her Mum's illness - her Mum was just lovely , one of those people who would do anything for you .
She was a Care Worker when I first met Jen and just before her diagnosis she was given the job of looking after this lady who had given birth to Quadruplets in Stanford le Hope , she loved that did Phyllis - our first born wasn't a year old before Jen's Mum passed away - it was really sad , she was just 54 .
Tenbury
Has liked: 728 likes
Total likes: 1226 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Peter, re: EDF.
I find it extremely therapeutic to concentrate on my hatred of power suppliers.On many occasions I've avoided being sectioned simply by phoning Npower and subjecting them to a stream of invective.
I believe this idea, when rolled out nationally, could save the NHS millions every year.
The Old Man of Storr

Tenbury wrote:Peter, re: EDF.
I find it extremely therapeutic to concentrate on my hatred of power suppliers.On many occasions I've avoided being sectioned simply by phoning Npower and subjecting them to a stream of invective.
I believe this idea, when rolled out nationally, could save the NHS millions every year.
:) Jennie was on the phone to them for days - they agreed that they owed us £500 but they then take another £170 off us last week and we're not even living there !

Could you phone them up for me - it'll do you good . :)
Tenbury
Has liked: 728 likes
Total likes: 1226 likes

Post by Tenbury »

In fact, they aren't allowed to build up that much of your credit.Insist on reducing your direct debit by a half per month. Advise them that you will be referring your complaint to the ombudsmen service if they don't agree.
(actually, the Ombudsmen thing is a doddle, they're really user friendly, and last time sorted me on the phone: I got my money back and £160 compensation for the hassle :thup: ).You have to be nice to the person who answers at EDF, ask to speak to their supervisor, then let rip :thup: )

[ Anyway, up there, why ain't you got a windmill?]
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:WBTS - so you'll know Harry Redknapp then ! :)

We visited Poole while on that same holiday . :thup:

I recorded the recent programme , ' Chernobyl ' thinking we could watch it together but Jen's avoiding it , I know why - it reminds her too much of her Mum's illness - her Mum was just lovely , one of those people who would do anything for you .
She was a Care Worker when I first met Jen and just before her diagnosis she was given the job of looking after this lady who had given birth to Quadruplets in Stanford le Hope , she loved that did Phyllis - our first born wasn't a year old before Jen's Mum passed away - it was really sad , she was just 54 .
Yep, i know Redknapp alright - suffice to say i could tell you a few bits about him that would make his current rep as dodgy look positively saintly, but I'm too poor to get a lawsuit!

I can understand how Jen feels about the Chernobyl reference - there are some things that just take you straight back to your own situation at the time. Not comparable in terms of gravity but i got dumped by my missus the night Princess Di corked it...not as serious of course in hindsight, but every Princess Di thing on telly takes me back to my own angst in 1997!

It's a nice testament to Jen's mum that you reference what sort of a person she was. Someone has to be a decent sort of character to get that added mention from you. Dare i say you might tell Jen that as a wee tribute to her mum?
Samba

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote:Peter, re: EDF.
:lol:
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:A little bit of exercise every day does wonders for you , it's getting out of the house that I find difficult sometimes - I'll get over it soon - I felt a lot better this afternoon - wish I hadn't bothered you all . :thup:
Walking everyday (if one can) is so crucial for not getting constipated. Walking up steps/stairs, even better.
Suddenly not moving much at all, combined with taking codeine based painkillers (or actually a whole host of medications) - are a recipe for a constipated disaster. It's why old folk really have a problem if they suddenly become bed bound or in hospital for a while. They need to be whacked on the old Lactulose, at the very least.
I think you're right TOMoS, sounds exactly like a bit of 'slow-transit' pain..
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Going to visit my mate for the first time on Sunday who is in a secure psychiatric hospital in East London. I'm looking forward to seeing him but also worried that he's going to be 'away with the fairies' and it's going to be an upsetting experience. I need to go though. He'd do the same for me if roles were reversed. Fingers crossed it goes ok :|
mushy
Has liked: 652 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Going to visit my mate for the first time on Sunday who is in a secure psychiatric hospital in East London. I'm looking forward to seeing him but also worried that he's going to be 'away with the fairies' and it's going to be an upsetting experience. I need to go though. He'd do the same for me if roles were reversed. Fingers crossed it goes ok :|
Good luck Cockneyboy, even if he is away with the fairies, just remember that it's being there for him that one day he will appreciate.
The Old Man of Storr

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Going to visit my mate for the first time on Sunday who is in a secure psychiatric hospital in East London. I'm looking forward to seeing him but also worried that he's going to be 'away with the fairies' and it's going to be an upsetting experience. I need to go though. He'd do the same for me if roles were reversed. Fingers crossed it goes ok :|
Best of luck , Cockneyboy - you'll probably discover he isn't as far gone as you think . :thup:

WHBTS - I loved Phyllis , Jen's Mum , Jen is well aware of that - funny story though , when Jen took me home for the very first time another friend of ours came with us , the one I mentioned who was at the Bradford City fire that day [ we were all at Hatfield Poly at the time ] , Martin his name was [ sadly he is no longer with us ] - we'd all been drinking the night before [ well , I had anyway ] , my hair was worse than Russell Brand's on a good day - Phyllis had prepared this wonderful Sunday lunch for us but I was too hungover to finish it - she took Jen aside and said to her ' I hope you're new boyfriend isn't that one with the hair ! ' :) .
Phyll and I got on great - she got on great with everyone - Jennie loved her very much and was greatly affected by her death at such a young age .