Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by S-H »

Only poor people watch TV
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Samba wrote:Why is there a delay when using bluetooth but not when wired?
Is it similar to the reason why there is a delay between dab & fm radio?
Yeah, I'm still a bit stumped by this one. Could be:

1) There's an inherent delay with bluetooth audio, possibly for caching purposes to avoid buffering, but because there's no video reference signal when you're using your phone or a bluetooth speaker for music or whatever, you don't notice it.

The only thing here is that the delay on my mate's TV/speaker setup was at least 4 seconds, and presumably, you'd notice that on a bluetooth phone call. Suppose voice calls could be a lower data rate because it's only a fairly small bandwidth for voice frequencies, and therefore less caching involved, so less noticeable.

2) Any delay between the audio & video signal is noticeable. I've never used a bluetooth soundbar on a TV, but you'd have to presume there's ways of addressing sync issues automatically. Or do you always need to use a sync adjust feature on the TV to delay the video signal a few seconds to compensate for the inherent delay with BT audio? Would seem a bit of a major design flaw with BT enabled soundbars if there's no means to auto-adjust.

Anyway, this is continuing to annoy me, and although I've told him to get some line out cables and be done with it, I will be unable to relax until I have an answer.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Went out to a rather spectacular place called ' Randolph's Leap ' yesterday - it's part of the Findhorn River - big pool etc etc - Jennie and Daniel went for a walk in the woods while I found myself a place in the sun with a book [ Monkey Mike's ' The Bitterest Pill ] - a few people went past , everyone said ' Hello ' - then this older couple came along , I looked up from my book and said ' Hello there , how are you ' type of thing - they just completely blanked me , walking past speaking in this upper class English accent .
I don't know why , but it really annoyed me . Manners cost nothing .
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Went out to a rather spectacular place called ' Randolph's Leap ' yesterday - it's part of the Findhorn River - big pool etc etc - Jennie and Daniel went for a walk in the woods while I found myself a place in the sun with a book [ Monkey Mike's ' The Bitterest Pill ] - a few people went past , everyone said ' Hello ' - then this older couple came along , I looked up from my book and said ' Hello there , how are you ' type of thing - they just completely blanked me , walking past speaking in this upper class English accent .
I don't know why , but it really annoyed me . Manners cost nothing .
I was concerned with where it was going once you mentioned my book, TOMOS! :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

This isn't little!

In the last week I have had my friends 10 year old say to me "I have some anxiety about my exams, not sleeping well", then a colleagues 13 year old son tried to hang himself. I know a couple of teachers through mutual friends and I have heard them say kids as young as 7/8 have started mentioning anxiety/stress.

How the f*** are we / society letting our children down so much!!!!!!!!!!
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Samsung phones! What a pile of crap! Quickly reverted back to my tried and trusted iPhone.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

People that wear the same thing to work every day - and I don't mean people that go to work in a uniform.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

sendô wrote:People that wear the same thing to work every day - and I don't mean people that go to work in a uniform.
do you mean , the same shirt/tie/suit ? must stink after while
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Clacton-ammer wrote:This isn't little!

In the last week I have had my friends 10 year old say to me "I have some anxiety about my exams, not sleeping well", then a colleagues 13 year old son tried to hang himself. I know a couple of teachers through mutual friends and I have heard them say kids as young as 7/8 have started mentioning anxiety/stress.

How the **** are we / society letting our children down so much!!!!!!!!!!
My nephew is 8..... threatened to kill himself if a girl in his class wouldn't give his pencil back.

****ing 8!! WTF is happening to this world that young child would think/say such things?!
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

DasNutNock wrote:
The only thing here is that the delay on my mate's TV/speaker setup was at least 4 seconds, and presumably, you'd notice that on a bluetooth phone call. Suppose voice calls could be a lower data rate because it's only a fairly small bandwidth for voice frequencies, and therefore less caching involved, so less noticeable.
Christ, When you said delay in the first post I though you were talking parts of a second, 4 seconds is way out there
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:' Randolph's Leap '.
That gives me terrible nightmares about a couple of years ago..
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Tenbury wrote:Seriously, that could be a bit dodgy.I've had DVTs (3) in my leg that started in a similar way.It doesn't sound a million miles away from phlebitus either. Best get it checked out, you can register with a doc and see them at the same time. Hopefully it's f**k all and they'll tell you to bugger off , and stop wasting their time.
Took the quicker but cheekier option of nipping in the Med Unit at LWC Warminster whilst onsite :D
Probable bruised meniscus, something between the joints she said, taking it easy should sort it, so I am working from home with a beer in hand
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DasNutNock wrote:Anyway, this is continuing to annoy me, and although I've told him to get some line out cables and be done with it, I will be unable to relax until I have an answer.
Cheers Dan, v interesting although you did lose me after 1) There's...
You know what you could do for a laugh, go on to 'Gadget Detective' & you can post tech questions on there.
Be interesting to see if you can stump them!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
My nephew is 8..... threatened to kill himself if a girl in his class wouldn't give his pencil back.

****ing 8!! WTF is happening to this world that young child would think/say such things?!
Don't know Eggy, saddens & frightens me in truth that many of the kids appear to not be kids anymore. Where are they getting it all from? Many people will just blame the parents, f'sure some parenting will be poor, but not always, they are getting it from other sources, TV, social media, other kids at school etc.

Up to about 13/14 I did not even know there was words like anxiety/depression etc, I just wanted to be fed and let out to play with my mates.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Kids literally have the world at their fingertips now, I literally had no idea what was going on outside of my life with my friends, when I was 8, and I certainly had no worries apart from what time I had to be in for tea.

Could it be that they are overexposed to this horrible modern world that we live in?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

S-H wrote:Could it be that they are overexposed to this horrible modern world that we live in?
Poverty, extremism, war and inequality existed for centuries before the internet. The world may feel horrible, but it's been worse, that's for sure. We just didn't have screens telling us 24/7 that everything's awful and sh*t.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

One thing that hasn't changed is people's credulity, they always believed everything they were told ,and by and large, they still do.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

DasNutNock wrote: We just didn't have screens telling us 24/7 that everything's awful and sh*t.
The news used to be an information service, but now it's a commodity that has to be sold, and "everything's alright, nothing to see here" doesn't win ratings.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Don't know Eggy, saddens & frightens me in truth that many of the kids appear to not be kids anymore. Where are they getting it all from? Many people will just blame the parents, f'sure some parenting will be poor, but not always, they are getting it from other sources, TV, social media, other kids at school etc.

Up to about 13/14 I did not even know there was words like anxiety/depression etc, I just wanted to be fed and let out to play with my mates.
I am a huge advocate of mental health awareness, but I can't help but think it has gone a step too far, whereby we are over promoting mental health and people of all ages are now self-diagnosing and almost convincing themselves that they are mentally ill.

(hopefully, that makes sense)

There needs to be a balance and we need to become stronger. This has never been so important as with kids. **** is thrown at us our entire lives; not getting picked for the football team, failing exams, girls not wanting to go out with you, not getting a job, relationship breakdowns, illness, and bereavement.

We cannot keep running to anxiety and depression every time something turns to ****.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

RichieRiv wrote:.....girls not wanting to go out with you......
I imagine that's awful.

There's a whole world of Instagram Influencers and whatnot that the over 30s don't understand, I feel. Those are the role models for a lot of kids now. When we were young uns, we'd throw a sulk in our room if something didn't go our way. Now, kids film themselves mewling about the iniquities of life and threatening to do bad things and they get a million YouTube views, and other kids see that as something to be.