Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Hammer1972 »

"'Don't stop eating peanuts' says American Peanut Council"

:wink:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Yep ok. It's a stretch using that article but there isn't any credible evidence to show that nuts aerosolise like this and hysterical articles in shitrags aren't a good reason to ban anything.

If it was a credible threat, the number of deaths in 100 years of commercial air travel would be absolutely huge . It's far more likely that she picked it up off an improperly cleaned item somewhere than nut vapour wafting down the cabin.

My original point was around overstated risk impinging on everyone else. FWIW it's worth if asked not to open a bag of nuts on a plane , I wouldn't .
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The money spunked by the BBC on Eurovision.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

White Goodman wrote:Nut allergy sufferers, specifically when they are on a plane, on a school trip or any other public place where THEIR issue affects others.
Can understand it when it's parents monitoring kids with allergies.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The money spunked by the BBC on Eurovision.
I think it will fade away very soon, it's become a joke at this stage and nothing like it was about 20 years ago.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

White Goodman wrote:Nut allergy sufferers, specifically when they are on a plane, on a school trip or any other public place where THEIR issue affects others.
Isn't this type of policy as much about reducing the risk of the airline getting sued, to zero, as much as caring about the safety of passengers, WG?

Although, just the other week there was the story about a 13 year old kid who had a dairy allergy & died after a fellow pupil threw a bit of cheese at him & it hit the side of his neck.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Samba wrote: Isn't this type of policy as much about reducing the risk of the airline getting sued, to zero, as much as caring about the safety of passengers, WG?

Although, just the other week there was the story about a 13 year old kid who had a dairy allergy & died after a fellow pupil threw a bit of cheese at him & it hit the side of his neck.
Yes I agree totally but it's done on the basis of virtually no research that there is a threat.

It's incredibly rare and there's nothing to show cause and effect between the incidents on the plane and other people eating nuts.

https://adc.bmj.com/content/86/4/236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

My brothers ex missus had a severe peanut allergy... she was a **** though, like literally one of the worst kinds of ****

I used to contemplate rubbing the door handles with peanuts.. you know.. just to see how bad it was..

I'm destined for hell...

Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

S-H, have you ever had a day trip to Salisbury to look at the cathederal? :wink:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Dover KUMB fan wrote:S-H, have you ever had a day trip to Salisbury to look at the cathederal? :wink:
Many.

I'm a huge fan.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Somersetski Hammer
Samba

Post by Samba »

There's 21 names on my ballot paper for Thursday & not one of them have promised me unicorns
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

After another relegation , I have just seen the teams that Basingstoke face next season, f*** me its grim :(
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Having to interview people that are clearly entirely incapable of doing the job they’re being recruited for. Complete waste of everyone’s time.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

I had that when I went for a job at DSTL, where it was quite vague what the job was for, Turns out it was more science based than IT based, I bummed it with a 6 out of 10 rating :lol:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

At least HR can act like they’re doing their job, I guess.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

I basically got told I know my **** in my line of work, however . . . . I know f*** all about the science of.... (NDA kicks in here) :lol: was worth the experience though
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Hammer1972 wrote:"'Don't stop eating peanuts' says American Peanut Council"

:wink:
I didnt think peanuts were actually nuts, how do you get a nut allergy to something that isnt a nut?
Samba

Post by Samba »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mother in law
Overspent for years. Continually bailing out her sons. Can't afford the mortgage. Moves into rented accommodation. Goes to the quack. Depression..... here's some pills.
Father in law
Fed up with wife's overspending. "If you can't beat em, join em" spunks money on Motorbike, Cars, fishing gear. Skint. Goes to the quack. Depression.....here's some pills.
Sister
Been knocking about with a complete loser for 5 yrs on and off. Beats her up. Steals money from her, he goes to prison, she moves away, 6 months later he's out, she gets back in contact and the cycle starts again. Goes to the quack. Depression...... here's some pills.
Mum
Upset with all the goings on surrounding my sister. Goes to the quack. Depression..... here's some pills.
Thing is Eggy, they are reasons to feel depressed. The quack just takes the (relatively) cheapest & quickest option, with giving the pills.
Your in laws overspending was an attempt by them to deal with their stress, anxiety & depression which of course, doesn't work in the end & ends up making them feel worse. They overspent because they were already depressed.
Your sister sounds like a classic case of someone with a very low self esteem, which is why she ends up going back with someone that's no good for her, but, it's still people desperately trying to make themselves feel better.
And it's no wonder that your Mum feels depressed, over your sister. Life is not easy.
Samba

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote:I didnt think peanuts were actually nuts, how do you get a nut allergy to something that isnt a nut?
You're right, they're not. They are a legume of the pea family. Peanut allergy is different to tree nut allergy.
The cause of peanut allergy is unclear and at least 11 peanut allergens have been described.
WG does seem to be correct in that (in the case of peanuts, at least), anaphylaxis does seem to only really occur owing to actual ingestion, when it can definitely cause death, to those afflicted.