what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Pop Robson »

Is that round the side ?

Stood in the sentry box of course !
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Pub (original I know)

Cuenca

https://www.facebook.com/thepubcuenca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can't see a website... run by a couple of Americans and believe it or not, a Taff.

they have a few beers on tap that they brew themselves. they were outback when I got there, stirring hops in a 40 gallon cooler.... they tried to explain the process but it went far over my head. I think someone said that the American bloke is a chemist/bio-chemist ? would that make sense

anyway they had a light ale on tap, very nice, not much like the English pale ale that I remember, maybe an American version ?

still very nice probably ab out a 7 or 8%

all I know is we played petanque for about 3 hours or so and I wobbled home getting wobblier by the minute.

I'll go back and maybe not drink in the afternoons. don't know why but those few times I have drank beer in the p.m. it goes straight to my head. had a big plate of pasta and bread before I went too. when we sued to go to our games and did the working man's club before the games I was bladdered by half time. still we were drinking McEwan's Export and g & t's at the time !!!!!!!

:D

7/10 - bear in mind, I haven't been to too many pubs here as there aren't that many - or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. don't have a load of single non alcoholic mates to do the bar trip with to be honest.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Royal Oak, Pimlico

Quickly popped in before a meeting. Just refurbished, small and pleasant place. Decent array of beers, opted for a Founders Session IPA which hit the spot.

Among your typical pub food they have an Indian burger selection which sounded fantastic https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/aeb9c8_4 ... b5a67f.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The refurb has seen the back wall covered in old music posters, which gave me a fair few minutes of entertainment.

Staff were nice enough.

7/10
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Pop Robson wrote:Is that round the side ?

Stood in the sentry box of course !
Yes, its worn down now.but i was assured by the fella behind the ramp it was his mounting block.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Sunnybrook Bar & Grille, Maryland, USA

Well ... how the f*** do I describe this place? It's in a rough part of Maryland and my immediate thought on walking into this place was that it looked like "The Roadhouse" from the film of the same name. I sat at a table with a mate and a waitress came over. We got talking and she asked where we were from etc. and how she loved our accents etc etc and then went and brought a couple of beers over. About five minutes later, a girl called "Missy" came over and started talking to us about the pub and how they have live bands on a Saturday and how they have a darts league and stuff. Really friendly people in fact which I thought would be he exact opposite when I walked in. I was drinking Blue Moon which isn't the best of beers but it was OK. Ordered a couple of Jagermeisters and f*** me, they don't mess around with this one sixth of a gill mularkly. It was like half a pint ! They also did tacos for a dollar which I passed on but that is value!
Suffice to say we were well oiled when we came out of there, all for the princely sum of 20 dollars. I can highly recommend it. I don't know whether to go back on Saturday as I'm flying back Sunday and could well end up with the hangover from hell.
I'd give this place a strong 8/10 for the reasonable prices, good beer and friendly locals.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

mushy wrote: The Old Kings Head is easily the best old school pub in the area (my opinion of course).
I agree Mushy, always go there when in the area.

Popped in after the Spuds game, mistake as rammed with Millwall, but usually no problems.

I havent seen the snow problem either.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Prince Regent, Cambridge

2/10

Expensive, unless you scour the menu for drinks and find the special offers, the food never arrived, they didn't offer a refund for said non supply, and the whole place felt plastic.

Gets it's 2 for location, right in the nice part of Cambridge, should be a great pub but ruined by Greene King.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Suffice to say we were well oiled when we came out of there, all for the princely sum of 20 dollars. I can highly recommend it. I don't know whether to go back on Saturday as I'm flying back Sunday and could well end up with the hangover from hell.
Calls to mind a song I dunno where I bin but I'm going back there again.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

WIld Honey, Valetta - A little craft beer place located on a side street, offering everything from the Maltese indepedents, through to the usual Belgian trappists and onto Australian IPAs etc. Inside is a darkened affair but a good bit of character, you'd be pushed to fit 10 people. I opted for outside to people watch. The first was a Lord Chambray San Blas English IPA, half decent but nothing out of this world. Same sort of standard with the second, a bottle of Jet Lag IPA from Nomad Brewing Co. in Australia. There was a third but i've forgotten what it was. Cool little place, friendly staff, beers could have been a bit better. 6.5/10.

Charles Grech, Valetta - One of the first places i saw leaving the taxi post-work and whilst the only reasonably priced pint offering was Heineken, i was absolutely gagging for a beer. An excellent selection of olives came alongside this, so decided to stay as i had a few hours to kill before a flight. A second pint was ordered, where the waitress brought over 2 as it was now happy hour. Happy days. As i was starving i thought a cold meats and cheese platter would gone down a treat, this sadly took an hour to arrive, though it did come with another pint as an apology. This led to trying to hoover down as much as i could within the space of 15 minutes, with a meal clearly stating it was for '2 - 3 people'. I didn't make much of a dent to be honest and felt sick in doing so, then having to run for a taxi. Aside from the platter fiasco, a solid 8/10 with some lovely staff to boot.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The Ship, Porthleven
The Shipwrights Arms, Helford
Ferry Boat Inn, Helford Passage

Three of my favourite pubs

I expect i will drop in for a pint in the the Atlantic Inn in Porthleven later as well
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Central Bar, Shepherds Bush

It's a spoons, was heaving with every seat taken, interestingly, a huge number of females ( thats what clean toilets do), and , being spoons, affordable prices.

Stank of vinegar, but gets a 7/10 for low prices.

The Sindercombe social, Shepherds Bush

Classic "couples" pub, full of middle aged couples, a few tellys, bloke playing records, prompt service, good selection of drinks but loses a mark for having a doorman.

7/10
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Mirth, Marvel and Maud, Hoe Street Walthamstow, E17

Went here for a book signing (Jordan's - the chunky Adam and the Ant's one, not the talentless self made celeb model) and I loved the decor. It used to be a cinema now does all kinds of arty stuff too. Huge bar, a separate cocktail bar, if that's your thing, a sizeable outside bar and very helpful staff. It's all done out in some kinda faux- retro 30/40's chic and it pulls it off nicely. Prices are steep though - £17.50 for two glasses of wine (large) and a coke but the wine was Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and excellent. Toilets were very clean and well maintained.

Overall the atmosphere was cool but friendly and welcoming. I'd go there again on a weekend to see what it was like. 8/10

The Collab, Hoe Street, Walthamstow, E17

Signature Brew are one of my favourite brewers so it would be remiss of me not to go in there new bar/burger place and have a drink there - especially as it's 25 yards from M,M &M mentioned above.

Very busy for a school night, but great service. I didn't eat, although vegan options are available, and my two compardres said that their burger was "f'in brilliant!" Large, airy and a buzzing atmosphere, here's another place I'd like to come to at a weekend to see it in full effect.

Naturally it has a wide range of Sig Brew ales and I went for my favourite Roadie, which did not disappoint. 8/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

the pink palermo wrote:
Gets it's 2 for location, right in the nice part of Cambridge, should be a great pub but ruined by Greene King.
GK have rapidly gone down hill since "going big"

The selection of beer is woeful. Wethers has a better range IMO.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

the pink palermo wrote:The Central Bar, Shepherds Bush

It's a spoons, was heaving with every seat taken, interestingly, a huge number of females ( thats what clean toilets do), and , being spoons, affordable prices.

Stank of vinegar, but gets a 7/10 for low prices.

The Sindercombe social, Shepherds Bush

Classic "couples" pub, full of middle aged couples, a few tellys, bloke playing records, prompt service, good selection of drinks but loses a mark for having a doorman.

7/10
Both of them are right near where I work and I've drank in both. Agree with what you say about The Central. It's somewhere to go for something to eat. The Sindercombe isn't bad but there's better options - The Brew Dog is great but a bit pricey, The Defector's Weld isn't bad, neither is one on the other corner who's name escapes me at the moment.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:The Ship, Porthleven
The Shipwrights Arms, Helford
Ferry Boat Inn, Helford Passage

Three of my favourite pubs

I expect i will drop in for a pint in the the Atlantic Inn in Porthleven later as well
Don't like the Atlantic, the other three are excellent .
If you haven't already try the Spingo in the Blue Anchor (middle of Helston).
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Tenbury wrote:If you haven't already try the Spingo in the Blue Anchor (middle of Helston).
Good call. And another to add to Crouchy's excellent original list and close to Helston - the Halzephron Inn near the RNAS base.

The Black Boy Tavern, Carnavon at the weekend. Great, very old pub with good food served in proper portions. Recommended if you're ever in that neck of the woods.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Best pubs around Limehouse? Moving here soon and have only spotted the Craft Brew Co pub.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Best pubs around Limehouse? Moving here soon and have only spotted the Craft Brew Co pub.
See most posts from Indy.
I think The Old Ship is currently the favourite.
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

Bit of a pubcrawl yesterday:

Crown & Shuttle - Shoreditch
Great pub with a lovely outdoor area. Fantastic selection of beers (went for a little creatures pale ale and a big hug brewery juicy pale). Good friendly service. Only negative is the constant noise of construction during the day, but that is a given for that area. 9/10

The Crown Tavern - Clerkenwell
Old fashioned boozer with loads of outside space on Clerkenwell Green. Had a pint of Camden pale and was very unimpressed with the beer (which I normally like). 5/10 (for the quality of the beer)

Butchers Hook & Cleaver - Farringdon
An old favourite of mine. Absolute sun trap - great place to stand outside in the sun. Very busy yesterday given the weather. 8/10

The Castle - Farringdon
Decent pub right by Farringdon Station. Good service and little outdoor area.
7/10
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Posset Cup in Portishead today. It's a spoons but decent enough 6

Also used The Royal in Portishead. Much nicer 8