Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by DasNutNock »

Vinyl seats! Dear God, could there be a less suitable substance to construct seats from?

“So we need to find a expensive non-biodegradable material to cover the seats in our new range of beige/brown cars. Preferably cold in winter, and hotter than a core of a main-sequence star in the summer, liable to emit acrid black smoke and asphyxiate anyone within 500 yards when it catches fire, and fuses with bare flesh on exposure. Any ideas?”
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

DasNutNock wrote:
Christ, all those car journeys as a kid, in the back of a Ford or Vauxhall or whatever, stuck in traffic on some Godforsaken A-Road, 31C outside (40C in the back) in the full bore sunshine, windows open as far as they’ll go (1/3 of the way down). Everyone close to death, no breeze in the air - so to sort everyone out, dad sticks on the blower, which proceeds to blow superheated air into the car roughly the same temperature as an industrial heat gun.

Kids today don’t know they’re born.
2008 in a 1lt nissan micra which was 18 years old, in 45C Kazakh desert , the engine was getting a tad warm so the heater had to be turned up to max and on full to try and draw some heat away from it , I drank over 10 liters of water that day and did not piss once
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

With respect, you probably picked the wrong motor there, FW. Can I ask what you were doing there?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Getting ****ing lost by the sounds of it.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

2008 Mongol Rally, back then limited to a car swapped for a bag of cheese and onion, rules have changed over the years

Yep, we got lost in Kazakhstan one day, 8 hours in the wrong direction
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

FreeWheeling wrote:Yep, we got lost in Kazakhstan one day, 8 hours in the wrong direction
“Which way are we headed?”
“Towards the dunes”
“But there’s nothing but dunes in every direction”
“Why yes, it’s almost as if we’re completely f*cking lost...”
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DasNutNock wrote:Vinyl seats! Dear God, could there be a less suitable substance to construct seats from?
"Smell that? You smell that? Vinyl car seats, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of hot vinyl car seats in the Summer."
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I like what UTJ has done with the place.

The new downgrade to the site is the forum equivalent of being driven around in an 80s car, sat on vinyl seats, with no seatbelts, and sliding all over the place as you turn corners and go around roundabouts.

Speaking of which. My pal in West Brom calls them 'Islands' and his wife calls them 'round-a-go's'
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

DL has only sealed his paintwork as he is worried his car is going to receive a 'gulling' when he next goes dogging. :wink:
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Mega Ron wrote:I like what UTJ has done with the place.

The new downgrade to the site is the forum equivalent of being driven around in an 80s car, sat on vinyl seats, with no seatbelts, and sliding all over the place as you turn corners and go around roundabouts.

Speaking of which. My pal in West Brom calls them 'Islands' and his wife calls them 'round-a-go's'
Thought it was just my desktop. The site has a definite 'Sweeney' feel to it. Expecting a Ford Cortina to come swerving round the corner at any moment!

Oh well, fun while it lasted.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

DasNutNock wrote:
“Which way are we headed?”
“Towards the dunes”
“But there’s nothing but dunes in every direction”
“Why yes, it’s almost as if we’re completely f*cking lost...”
That was kind of like Mongolia, we came in via the western route, nothing could prepare me for the next 5 days across a landscape that could only be described as like the surface of Mars
In the end we worked out that if we went around 1.5 days SE, 2 days E, 1.5 days NE we would get somewhere near Ulaanbaatar, an absolute b*stard of a landscape that went from -10 at night to 35 in the day.
arrived on the Monday at 6 AM and managed to sort out flights for the Wednesday
On the Tuesday the exhaustion from driving on average 16hrs a day for over 3 weeks came out and I was as sick as a dog
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Currently between projects, so helping out on a tender for a new job. The design is in the early stages, and is full of hand drawn sketches from the architects that look like they were done by a load of 10 year olds. One of them was complete with a picture of the sun with little lines coming from it. :D
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I’ve got a very old 30-pin iPod connector in my 06 Golf. Connected it to a 30-pin to 30-pin cable extender, then a 30-pin to 30-pin 12v to 5v converter, then to a 30-pin to lightning connector. And to my great surprise, I can now stream off my iPhone, whilst charging it, and controlling it using the buttons on the head unit. Downloaded a radio app for the phone and now I have “DAB” radio in the car, woohoo!

I’m aware this probably makes me sound even more tragic than I already do, but it definitely qualified for a little thing that made me smile.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I had the best bag of chips I've had in a very long time this evening. Really were top drawer like I've not had since I was a kid. They were just perfect. Odd thing is, I've got chips from the shop before and they've never tasted this good. Dunno what they did but they left a big smile on my face.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I had the best bag of chips I've had in a very long time this evening. Really were top drawer like I've not had since I was a kid. They were just perfect. Odd thing is, I've got chips from the shop before and they've never tasted this good. Dunno what they did but they left a big smile on my face.
Probably changed the chip oil for the first time since the 1970s.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Meeting in a starbucks in the city this morning with a couple of colleagues. This tall leggy blonde walks in, short loose fitting billowy dress. Absolute knock out gorgeous. The entire coffee shop almost went silent, every male head followed her across the shop, along the till, and then back out the door, and then conversations started up again after she left. :lol:
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Brilliant.

One of the hardest things to do when with your other half.

Try.......not......to...........look......gaaarrrhhhh
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Having the most shittiest of shitty weeks at work. P1 major outage in a Data centre meaning 3am finishes on Tuesday and Wednesday and back in for 8am. All done now and at home while the sun is still up with a cold IPA.

Reckon I'll last til 9pm and then it'll be :asleep:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

S-H wrote:Getting ****ing lost by the sounds of it.
You always make me laugh :)
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

That look from the checkout girl when I go through with 50 quid of beer and wine, and only 10 quids worth of food shopping