Text  Larger | Smaller | Default


New deal for Demel

Filed: Wednesday, 23rd January 2013
By: Staff Writer

Full-back Guy Demel has signed a new contract with West Ham United.

The 31-year-old former Hamburg SV defender intially signed a two-year contract with an option for a further year in August 2011.

And West Ham confirmed this morning that they have opted to enforce that option which means the French-born former Ivorian international will now remain at the club until the summer of 2014.

Speaking to westham.tv, Demel said: "It's really good for me and I'm really happy to have a new deal with West Ham. I've had a good year this season, and even last year was good, despite the fact that I was injured for so long and struggled a bit.

"I'm happy to be at West Ham and in the team. The lads are really good with me as are the people working for the club. I hope I will stay that long to play in the new stadium as well.

"Last year was kind of difficult because when I signed, I had pre-season, and then unfortunately I got injured really quickly and it was hard to come back afterwards. But right now I feel good.

"I had a pre-season, we worked hard and I have to thank the medical staff for the job they have done with me. I'm quite happy with what I'm doing right now, but I know that I can do even more."

News of Demel's extended contract comes hot on the heels of fellow right-back Joey O'Brien's decision to sign an new deal with the club last week.

Related News

   arrow   HMRC investigate '5m fraud' [26th Apr 2017]
   arrow   KUMB Readers' Awards XIX: Vote Now! [13th May 2016]
   arrow   Mirallas, Demel, James & Walker: Wednesday's news [25th Nov 2015]
   arrow   Lanzini, Sullivan, Kouyate & Bilic: Tuesday's news [24th Nov 2015]
   arrow   Guy completes United switch [23rd Nov 2015]
   arrow   Lifeline for Amalfitano [4th Sep 2015]
   arrow   Carry on Doctor, says Valencia [26th Aug 2015]
   arrow   Carroll, Woods, Sullivan & Gold: Tuesday's news [16th Jun 2015]
   arrow   Gone - the XI who are no more [29th May 2015]
   arrow   It's not over, says JC [27th May 2015]

Your Comments

Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
News Image

On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Leicester City
Slaven Bilic felt that his side were hard done by against Leicester at the ...more
Three Years Ago
In brief - Thursday's news round-up
Get the very latest West Ham news in one place, with our new daily media round-up!...more
Five Years Ago
Hammers trial goalkeeper
Triallist Jordan Santiago played a full 90 minutes for a West Ham XI as they beat a Queens Park Rang...more